Page 61 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11515657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1254
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    yup, I got my unlocked today and I agree with you, the volume is pretty low.
    You really need to concentrate to hear something. is it just ours or all the unlocked have this problem?
    I do not have anything to complain. The volume seems to be fine . I can,may be take one more bar. The quality is definitely better than Sprint , which has more shredded voice, specially at louder volumes.
    My T600 was louder than 650 for sure....
  2.    #1202  
    I am loving my 650. I felt a lot better after comparing Orange with Unlocked. I think the volume issues are inter-network issues. My happiness quotient is high!

I got 124/kps on DSLReports.com -- I forgot the latency.

Last night I was talking to a buddy who is on Cingular's network and the volume seemed okay, although turned up all the way. Earlier I had been talking to a friend on Verizon and the volume seemed slightly dimished, but not not painstakingly inaudible.

I will continue to catalog connections and voice quality:

1) Intra-network = Cingular to Cingular/ATT
    2) Network to Network (GSM) = Cingular to TMobile
    3) Network to Network (CDMA) = Cingular to Sprint, Verizon
    4) Network to Landline = Cingular to POP

*PS = I bought one of those QWERTY folding keyboards from PalmOne yester day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Congrats S-38, I am still very happy and no resets on First handset and Fourth handset doing great too. Low sound volume on Locked, hmm, I didn't notice that, will have to check. I would notice low volume as I am a bit hard of hearing.

I am so dead tired after all my reponsibilities at work. One wonderful Cing/P1 650 experience, 1 not so good Cing/P1 650 experience. New computer, new programs and hardware, crash, crash, crash, and Family member bit the dust Monday . Rough Month. But,

Viva Las Vegas! I am going Friday.
  3.    #1203  
    http://209.221.153.18/smallsites/
    Bookmark and enjoy!
  4.    #1204  
    This guy seems to have addressed the volume issue in a simple fashion:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73826
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    This guy seems to have addressed the volume issue in a simple fashion:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73826
    no, this is just how to save volume settings issue. The volume issue being discussed is that the volume is TOO LOW regardless of how high the setting. From what I hear its even worse on BT headsets.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    The volume issue being discussed is that the volume is TOO LOW regardless of how high the setting. From what I hear its even worse on BT headsets.
    It's plenty loud enough on my Scala 500, and I'm nowhere near the max volume setting for the device. And that's in a moving car on the freeway. In fact, that's exactly why I bought the headset - because the volume on the phone itself didn't go high enough to work well in a noisy environment.
    As I said in an earlier post, on the positive side the Bluetooth headset volume is louder on the unlocked GSM than on the Sprint. It seems fine but I need to test more in loud environments.

But the earpiece volume is definitely quieter than the Sprint 650 or the GSM 600. If it was quieter it would not be acceptable. Right now it's borderline but I can tell it will be an issue in a noisier environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    It's plenty loud enough on my Scala 500, and I'm nowhere near the max volume setting for the device. And that's in a moving car on the freeway. In fact, that's exactly why I bought the headset - because the volume on the phone itself didn't go high enough to work well in a noisy environment.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I hate you people in California!

36k is the best I've seen in Oregon yet on T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I got 124/kps on DSLReports.com -- I forgot the latency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    no, this is just how to save volume settings issue. The volume issue being discussed is that the volume is TOO LOW regardless of how high the setting. From what I hear its even worse on BT headsets.
    I have the Jabra 250 and it's much louder than my unlocked 650's speaker. I'm really curious about the Sony HBH-660.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    I've got no sound complaints with the Jabra 650. Works fine in the car, which is one of the noisier places. Speakerphone is ok and the regular ear piece/mic is awful. But heck, look at the "earpiece" - how could anyone expect it to work well.

On speeds, yesterday in the office it was only 30-something. At different places, last night and today, I've fluctuated as high as 90.

Still I love this thing (despite the space problem) and I'm bound to get fired because I can't seem to put it down until I get everything setup perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I hate you people in California!

36k is the best I've seen in Oregon yet on T-Mobile.
    I have been with both Cingular GSM/Edge & NonGSM for going on three years now, On the GSM/Edge side, even here in rural Oklahoma I always get 110k or more. This stays "very much the same" when I travel from state to state. I think perhaps Cingular might have one of the better networks, at least for data. JMHO
    Last edited by ShadowOK; 02/18/2005 at 07:03 PM.
    I've never seen anyone get 110 from GSM. I don't think your readings are accurate, I don't even think its in range possible.
    I've never seen anyone get 110 from GSM. I don't think your readings are accurate, I don't even think its in range possible.
    I must say, you must be one of the most negative-nonbelieving people on here. Many people have posted I think up to 117 or more. I have only reached 109 myself, in my area. I just tested and got 90 at home. That is of course if that dslreports is reporting real life speeds.
    I got 122 at the Philly airport...

Heck, I just tried it for the heck of it and got 129 kbit/sec, 2.187s latency, 14.429s d/l time.

Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    If it's Cingular (as he said) more then likely it's EDGE, 110 is easy. He's saying GSM but I think he means EDGE. If it wasn't EDGE I'd agree with you. You can't get 110 from non-edge GSM (like T-Mo), but GSM w/EDGE you easily can.
    Excuse me but that was uncalled for (I think, not sure if you were serious).

I believe he was saying he was getting 110k without EDGE. I don't think GSM will give you that speed without EDGE. I know that with EDGE you most certainly will get that kind of speed as numerous people have reported. If he is saying that he is using EDGE and getting those speeds, then fine I believe it. I may have misinterpreted him, but I know that Cingular hasn't had EDGE for "years" has he said.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I must say, you must be one of the most negative-nonbelieving people on here. Many people have posted I think up to 117 or more. I have only reached 109 myself, in my area. I just tested and got 90 at home. That is of course if that dslreports is reporting real life speeds.
    Last edited by bcaslis; 02/17/2005 at 11:43 PM.
    Yes with EDGE I have no doubts. On regular GSM without EDGE you wouldn't be able to get those speeds. That's why I'm wallowing in jealousy with no EDGE from T-Mobile in Oregon (while in California, T-Mobile users are already getting it).

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I got 122 at the Philly airport...

Heck, I just tried it for the heck of it and got 129 kbit/sec, 2.187s latency, 14.429s d/l time.

Good evening Treo 650 users,

I have been following this thread from behind the scenes... thanks to all who have posted their experiences and advice. Here is my story.

I have been an AT&T Treo 600 user since June 2004. It has been a very useful tool for me shortly after I read about the new Treo 650 and waited eagerly to see when it would be released.

As for my Treo 600, I really hated the location of the wired headset jack, no bluetooth, useless camera and a lackluster screen.

Let me back up a bit.... Up until June I had been a Verizon customer for over 5 years. I used a Motorola StarTAC in it's second generation model. I owned a Palm VII and really did not use a PDA. I was PC laptop bound and synced my phone to it.

I switched to Apple almost 2 years ago upon the release of 10.2 and have been quite happy with it. I cut my OS teeth on a Unix operating system and had supported Apple OS9 previously and was ready to make the leap. I am comfortable with all flavours of headaches associated with Unix, Windows and Apple OS's. So now I am ready to see what PalmOS can do for me.

Fast forward ... I switched carriers in June 2004 when I could not get the Treo from Verizon. I had an AT&T account and so I went there to see about the 600. I purchased it and signed a 2 year contract. Fortunately my employer flipped the bill so I was only responsible for the monthy charges of $118. This included 1000 minutes, Free evenings and weekends (7-7) and an unlimited data plan($44.99).

I was syncing my Treo 600 with Entourage X and now Entourage 2004 with Microsoft Handheld Sync Installer 1.0.1 and Palm Desktop 4.1 and the defacto Palm Conduit Manager. I synced Calendar, Tasks and Contacts directly into my Palm Contacts etc. No prob.

The Merger .... It was announced that Cingular would be buying AT&T Wireless Q3/Q4 20004 ... woop woop .... Rollover minutes here I come - NOT ;-) but still no Treo 650.

Feb 14th 2005. I receive an email from Cingular that I can now get a Treo 650. Hooray. I order it online as an AT&T upgrade with exisiting plan. I get 600 Rollover minutes, Text Messaging and MEdiaNET Unlimited. My only data option to choose on the online form. My monthly would drop to $74.99. The phone was $449.00 but I do get a $50 rebate.

Feb. 16th 2005 - FedEX delivers my 650 at 4PM. I put in on the charger and wait about 2 hours then call Cingular to activate. I am asked a few questions and then give them one of my own. "Is MEdiaNet what I need for my Treo 650 for GPRS/EDGE access" Huh? Let me check, hold pls. OK....

The rep returns and tells me that the unlimited plan is $80. WHAT!?!

After some groveling ;-) on my part, I'm put on hold while he checks with his supervisor. Oh, I'm sorry. I was reading the wrong pricesheet. The price is $44.99. Phew! Kewl!

I was up and running smoothly. I could make calls and surf the "net".

I removed the Palm app and relocated my ~/Documents/Palm/Users folder and then proceeded to install the Palm software for the 650. I reinstalled Microsoft Handsync Installer, created a new user and then attached the USB cable to my new phone. I have multiple profiles in Entourage and so I had to set it to use the correct one via Conduit Manager. Worked like a champ.

I also notice that the volume control on the 650 handset is not produce the same dB's as my 600 and that sux ... Is there any help for this for GSM like I have seen for CDMA/PCS models?

My 650 still buzzes the speakers in my house just like my old 600 did!

Let me move on to bluetooth.

My Powerbook Ti15 does not have builtin Bluetooth so I borrowed a Belkin USB Bluetooth adapter. I never owned a Bluetooth headset so I borrowed that too ... a Motorola HS-810.

I paired the Handset to the Computer and noticed that all available services were grayed out. Hmmm. Is it because of no DUN's?!? I can use the send to Handset utility that came with Palm Desktop to moved images to phone or SD card and thats kewl. I don't use iSync or Address Book ...

I really don't mind because I use the Entourage/Treo sync setup and my email accounts, 2 x POP's and 1 x IMAP I keep syncronized the old fashion way. "I see everything and delete on either the PB or the Treo.

I was able to perform a Bluetooth HotSync and it takes about 7-10 times as long but great to know it can be done if the cable is not available. I did notice that calls go straight to VM when performing this function.

I then paired the Motorola headset and found that it worked considerbly well. The volume was much better then that of the handset's and the clarity was good. It feels a little awkward but I could get used to it. The model I would like to hear feedback on is the Sony Ericssen HBH-660. I also would like to know how to create Voice Tags. I saw the PalmOne KB article on some software application that will work with a wired headset or the handset itself but thats weak!!! I read that when the Bluetooth headset is on, all call will go to it but I find that I must answer it manually w/o hearing any beeps in my ear when the phone rings (Maybe the battery is low on the hedset?)

With over 700 contacts and 3 email accounts. I have about 8.5MB of free space. I have not installed many 3rd party apps and I have already placed my order for the free 256MB SD card from PalmOne (The order shows that I will receive 2 x 128MB SD cards)

I have updated my handset with all the PalmOne downloads for Cingular i.e. Carkit Update, BT Keyboard and Jav runtime.

So here we are today. My handset has reset itself multiple times. I was unable to take a second call and subsequently could not get the first call off hold. I hope my post dd not sound like a rant or rave. I hope this helps and appreicate everyone assistance with the new productivity tool.

Manuel
    I'll address just a couple of your points:

1.) The only services you will possibly see with the bluetooth pairing is the internet service and then only if you have DUN enabled. On the Cingular model this means you have to get the btmanager patch from Shadowmite. On an unlocked GSM DUN is already available. For AddressBook synching that is taken care of by the Palm software and the iSync conduit it doesn't show here. Even if you don't plan to use DUN, the bluetooth pairing is good to do since then they will be trusted devices to each other so you can use the Bluetooth File Exchange utility to transfer files and ringtones to the Treo.

2.) I use the HBH-660 headset. I found it gave better volume than a Motorola HS-850 I tried and it will auto-pick up a call out where the Motorola didn't. However, with no bluetooth headset can you set voice tags. The voice tags featured mentioned is for bluetooth handsfree devices like some automotive units. You can get voice dialing software for the Treo. The Voice Dial software by Voice Signal available from the Palm website is wonderful and works without having to record any tags. However it doesn't work over a bluetooth headset. According to the developers, palmOne needs to add a hook into their bluetooth implementation to fix this.

Don't know about your resets, not enough to really tell the cause. I have had a couple of hangs/resets but overall it has been mostly stable for the past three days.

Oh, and welcome to the Treo 650 club!
  20.    #1220  
    I got 124/kbs. Why don't you come down from Oregan cross the northern border of Cali...and test EDGE for yourself on TMo.
    Two days have past and I am not noticing the sound problem as much as I did, especially since I compared it with the Unlocked 650. Especially jazzed that tonight I paired my 650's Bluetooth with the SuperTooth car kit.