Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6465152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1254
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I now have a Cingular 650 and a PalmOne unbranded coming tomorrow. Will DUN work with the Cingular phone?
    With PDANet you don't need DUN. With the Shadomite patch you will have DUN (Hasn't this question been asked and answered 500 times already?)

Also, my speeds have varied a lot using their PDA plan: 8kbit/sec to 110. The man in the store said 200's to 300. Should I drop down to the MEWorks plan or will I get banged with a big bill? The CS rep said many ports are blocked on the MEWorks plan AND I would NOT get EDGE speed. What is the real story??
    200-300 is pure BS. The MediaWorks question has been asked and answered 500 times already. The Edge question has been asked an answer 500x already. Why doesn't anyone believe what we say here over what the morons who work in the stores say. With all due respect I honestly can't believe that YOU are asking these questions AGAIN. It's not like you just popped in here for the first time.
    Lastly, when I got home and charged the Cingular 650 I started checking it out and found someone had sent emails and taken a few pictures. To my and my wife's surprise, there were pictures of a man's private parts emailed to a woman over and over. I called the store and they apologized profusely. The rep said he would talk to his manager Monday and see what they can do for me. I told him I had people there looking at my new "birthday" present and we were all shocked! Any ideas how they can "make this up to me"?
    That is the sickest and funniest thing I have read here. I'd demand a free phone. I'd definately write to Corporate.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    With PDANet you don't need DUN. With the Shadomite patch you will have DUN (Hasn't this question been asked and answered 500 times already?)

With all due respect I honestly can't believe that YOU are asking these questions AGAIN. It's not like you just popped in here for the first time.

MisterEd You have to Understand, He's a MacUser You have to speak very Slowly for them to comprehend.....LoL

PS: Just Havin Some Fun MacUser

200-300 is pure BS. The MediaWorks question has been asked and answered 500 times already. The Edge question has been asked an answer 500x already. Why doesn't anyone believe what we say here over what the morons who work in the stores say. With all due respect I honestly can't believe that YOU are asking these questions AGAIN. It's not like you just popped in here for the first time.
    I don't take offense, but you should realize that Cingular HAS just CHANGED the plans these past 2 days. If they changed their network to disallow MEdia Net to use EDGE, that would be something to ask people who had it yesterday and this week about. I don't know what plan you have, but until just yesterday I had TMobile.

Sure, many times I go into a store I am quite skeptical about what they tell me and often insisted I get it in writing. I don't take what a CS rep or salesman tells me as law. Still, considering the merger and their NEW plans, I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask if things have changed. Please, if you disagree, I would like to know why.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    MisterEd You have to Understand, He's a MacUser You have to speak very Slowly for them to comprehend.....LoL
    There's always at least 1 Mac basher in every group. I comprehend quite well, and unfortuately for some, we MacUsers are always evaluating situations and thinking ahead. Sorry for the disruption.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    ROTFLMAO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney

PS: Just Havin Some Fun MacUser
    I disagree. As has been discussed (and confirmed) here numerous times before if you have GSM you have EDGE. Speeds will vary minute by minute. As for the port thing, NO WHERE in Media Works ($25) does it say ports are closed or limited. If you can get to a NON WAP site by HTTP (www.ibm.com or www.whitehouse.com ) from your handset or do POP3 email the most important ports aren't closed. I'd say the chances are from slim to none that they are. If you're talking about doing VPN stuff or VNC stuff that isn't permitted under either of those plans, so you could be charged for it. You could also be charged for tethering a laptop. Try it for 28 days, if it doesn't work the way you want you're out for free (except for the activation fee which isn't refundable after 4 days).
    I don't take offense, but you should realize that Cingular HAS just CHANGED the plans these past 2 days. If they changed their network to disallow MEdia Net to use EDGE, that would be something to ask people who had it yesterday and this week about. I don't know what plan you have, but until just yesterday I had TMobile.

Sure, many times I go into a store I am quite skeptical about what they tell me and often insisted I get it in writing. I don't take what a CS rep or salesman tells me as law. Still, considering the merger and their NEW plans, I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask if things have changed. Please, if you disagree, I would like to know why.
    I disagree. As has been discussed (and confirmed) here numerous times before if you have GSM you have EDGE.
    So a cell provider can NEVER change this? Technologically speaking?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    more technically, it could be if you have GPRS, then you have EDGE. If you get no data at all, then you may be restricted to CSD on the GSM circuts....but if you pay for GPRS data then you'll get EDGE
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    The firmware on my unlocked 650 is 01.14. The software is Treo650-1.05-ROW. The hardware is A.
    I sent the btmanager (hope it was the right file) to shadowmite. Don't want to post it and cause any distress to Treocentral.
    Interesting, the softare on my Cingular Treo650 GSM is:

Software: Treo650-1.02-CNG
    Firmware: 01.04
    Hardware: A

It would seem that palmOne has updated -both- the software & firmware pretty recently then. Hmmm I wonder if and how, one could update the software and firmware of say my locked Cingular phone to say a unlocked phone?? L8R
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    I wonder if shadowmite would be able to do the rom customization on the GSM now that the P1 insider got canned?
    palmOne insider canned? Might one ask who and what they did ??
    Does Cing even allow CSD on a GSM device? I know ATT doesn't (although I understand there is some way to talk them (ATT) into it).
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    more technically, it could be if you have GPRS, then you have EDGE. If you get no data at all, then you may be restricted to CSD on the GSM circuts....but if you pay for GPRS data then you'll get EDGE
    There is absolutely nothing in this world that is impossible. Very highly improbable, yes.
    So a cell provider can NEVER change this? Technologically speaking?
    Does Cing even allow CSD on a GSM device? I know ATT doesn't (although I understand there is some way to talk them (ATT) into it).
    Probably only in the old PacBell markets...otherwise all the actual ATT systems were deployed after GPRS, so you're right AWS doesn't do GPRS...which is more to the point that you can get a GSM phone with no data plan, thus no EDGE

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

14.    #1114  
    WWM? = Who's With Me? [hard to resist this]

Someone in our former Waiting For GSM Model...WWM? -- was honest enough to face th music and say they were wrong. He was the exception rather than the rule. Some start the "I was wrong about the GSM 650. Who is with me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    You know it kills me, For three months these peopel have been telling us we couldn't get Media Works for $19.95 a month period. They told us we couldn't get EDGE speeds. The told us P1 wouldn't release at the same time an unlocked version. They told us it wouldn't release on the 27th and they that Cingular wouldn't release on the 4th.

We need a thread for all of (those) people including those who were so anti and now are telling people the same thing WE told people two months ago.

I ask you guys to please start a thread,
    "I was wrong. Who's With Me?"
  15.    #1115  
    I am a Macuser who writes software for PC users. The war is over Windows won. Macs are for a unique group of people. They are wonderful machines for the creative sort. PCs are for the masses.
    There's always at least 1 Mac basher in every group. I comprehend quite well, and unfortuately for some, we MacUsers are always evaluating situations and thinking ahead. Sorry for the disruption.
    you're approaching the 1k mark my friend....

17.    #1117  
    I remember when you broke the barrier. I am coming to see what the air is like "up" there.
    you're approaching the 1k mark my friend....
    hmmm, we will both break the 1k mark before receiving our units from VC...what a long strange trip its been..

HUH ? I never said that. I'm talking CSD not GPRS. Of course ATT does GPRS and EDGE. ATT was the first with EDGE (and they do offer CSD on what's left of their TDMA system). Maybe you just made a typo and meant CSD. The oriignal question asked was "If they (Cingular) changed their network to disallow MEdia Net (from using) EDGE." Meaning can they remove the EDGE portion from GPRS on the cheaper data plans.
    Probably only in the old PacBell markets...otherwise all the actual ATT systems were deployed after GPRS, so you're right AWS doesn't do GPRS...which is more to the point that you can get a GSM phone with no data plan, thus no EDGE
    I sumply wanted to get the best deal available. If I can use MediaWorks for less, then thanks!
    BTW, this is my 1st Treo post.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650