Page 42 of 63 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
    How many times do we have to go over this! It's EDGE. There is no way to tell on your handset or for a website to tell the difference. Oy Vey!
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Thanks so much for that post. Then it is GPRS as they state. Perhaps others smarter than I can confirm.
  2.    #822  
    No! It is clear that Cingular has changed MediaWorks $19.99 to a 3 MB limit. Relax and excuse the paranoia comment. Don't let that get between us and a righteous solution. Those who got in under the wire will have their contracts honored because they purchased it on the basis of it being unlimited. The bigger question is: "did you get in under the wire?"
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Okay, so basically what you are saying is that because PalmOne says that Cingular's plan is unlimited, and CINGULAR says that the CINGULAR plan is now 3MB, then we should listen to PalmOne (because they obviously know what is going on with Cingular's plans) and forget whatever the Cingular.com site is saying (because obviously Cingular doesn't know anything about pending changes to Cingular's plans).

I see.

Okay, then I guess I am just paranoid.
  3.    #823  
    If not go to PalmOne Now and sign up while unlimited is till available.
    LOL .... of course you're right but I still don't think this issue is settled yet. Of course Palm could just say: "Whoops! We goofed. Again".
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Okay, so basically what you are saying is that because PalmOne says that Cingular's plan is unlimited, and CINGULAR says that the CINGULAR plan is now 3MB, then we should listen to PalmOne (because they obviously know what is going on with Cingular's plans) and forget whatever the Cingular.com site is saying (because obviously Cingular doesn't know anything about pending changes to Cingular's plans).

I see.

Okay, then I guess I am just paranoid.
  5.    #825  
    I know we've been over it 3000 times now. But I still wonder MisterED. I don't have one in my hands to compare. I guess you know about MediaWorks Unlimited by now?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    How many times do we have to go over this! It's EDGE. There is no way to tell on your handset or for a website to tell the difference. Oy Vey!
    On my Nokia 6200 you can tell when it is on EDGE though, the GPRS icons changes from a G to a G with a box around it when you are using EDGE. All the phones should be this way.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I know we've been over it 3000 times now. But I still wonder MisterED. I don't have one in my hands to compare. I guess you know about MediaWorks Unlimited by now?
    What are you wondering specimen?
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    And I have to give the AT&Tingular CSR some credit. After all the confusion over the phone order, the last CSR who I worked with apparently decided to keep an eye on my order for me. She just called me to make sure that my phone had arrived (she'd been tracking the shipment), and to make sure that they had the right credit card info to issue my $50 credit. So I have to take back what I said about them - some of the CSRs may be incompetent, but others go above and beyond the call of duty.
    Sure enough, ATTWSingular came through with my credit. So even with all the confusion in trying to place the order, they really did honor the $250 price for the 650. I'm impressed. Especially now that I see what other sources are charging for this device. So even with its shortcomings, I'm still pretty happy with this purchase.

The shortcomings are only a handful, but they're all significant: Receiver volume isn't loud enough to overcome car noise, DUN is disabled in Bluetooth, and certain apps (notably WECM) won't work on it.
    All I can say is "YMMV" and make sure you check you bills after using tethered data. You will have no problem with HTTP or POP3 or IMAP but as soon as you get into VNC or SSH or anything that uses other then those non-standard ports WHILE TETHERING you are flying in very questionable territory. While I can't personally attest to those issues in Cingular Orange I can on Cingular Blue.

With all due respect to your local store manager (or any for that matter)many of them have 1/200th the "actual life experience" knowledge of some of the folks here or on the other boards. These managers usually just spout what they think they hear at their meetings, and at times 17 diiferent variations of the same theme. You can't take as "gospel" what many of them say just as you get 20 different variations of the same theme when you call the "knowledgeable" B2B reps on the phone. Did he UNDERSTAND what the specific types of data use you planned on using are or did he just say .... yea, it's unlimited PDA data so you can do unlimited things with it? I'd bet he never even read the exclusions of each various plan but heard ... Yes, a $39 unlimited PDA plan.

As for the plans. The $39 PDA PLAN is just that. A PDA PLAN and has the same data exclusions as the lower price MediaNet plans but it's for PDA's and not plain handsets. The difference (if I remember from what I read) is the APN it uses. It's for PDA use and not tethering (modem use) or any client/server application. Their "data connect" plan ($79) is meant for laptops with PC Card data devices and is also used where someone wants to use any other device as a modem. The fact he isn't aware of that plan is itself a warning (ask him what the "plan" is for the PC card he has on display next to his old Treo 600 in the back of the store).

In any case, it is very possible you may never get charged for any tethering (beyond http and pop3 and imap), or they may suddenly enforce it and you may in the future. My experience is on the BLUE side and from my experience there (and others as well) you are swimming in dangerous territory as to possible being billed doing the stuff you're planning on doing. They do look at port use. Plus, since he said tethering is DEFINATELY included you have some recourse (or not).

Just keep an eye on your billing online and you'll be OK. The PDA plan is only 3 or so months old so there is still unfamiliarity with it.
    ok, this has discourse in this thread got me worried as i perused the forums today, so i decided to go back in to the Cingular store and talk w/ the manager some more about this... he reiterated the same though, that what i had purchased was indeed 'unlimited data', and i would not incur any further charges on my billing statements in regards to data. on any port usage, he did seem to know what i was refering to when i brought up ports and such, but claimed that those restrictions applied to the mMode plan, and not my $39.99 deal.

i actually left my Treo running and online all night, connected to an SSH session where i wanted to monitor the CRON jobs being performed on a certain box... it was still connected when i woke up, and i had quite a bit of terminal logs waiting for me to page through... under the assumption that 10+ hours of SSH usage should have incurred an extra charge to my bill, it didn't. they pulled up my usage statements and showed them to me, there was nothing extra tacked on, and in the data fields was only the acronym 'UNL'... i don't know if this is a difference between offerings from Orange and Blue, but this is what i have...

for what its worth, i now have *in writing* from the manager that i will not incur any additional data charges on my account, he had no problem writing it up for me either, and signed it w/ his name, employee code and store number. i don't know what thats worth, but he seemed very confident that he was telling me the right thing... the fact that my usage doesn't reflect anything additional from my constant SSH usage seems telling to me though..

http://twash.com/iku/itsfullofstars.gif
    Are you on Orange or Blue? He keeps mentioning mMode which is the ATT plan. Cingular is Media Works. Was this tethering through your laptop or through the phone? Check it again in 2-3 days. Data charges usually take 48-72hrs to show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    ok, this has discourse in this thread got me worried as i perused the forums today, so i decided to go back in to the Cingular store and talk w/ the manager some more about this... he reiterated the same though, that what i had purchased was indeed 'unlimited data', and i would not incur any further charges on my billing statements in regards to data. on any port usage, he did seem to know what i was refering to when i brought up ports and such, but claimed that those restrictions applied to the mMode plan, and not my $39.99 deal.

i actually left my Treo running and online all night, connected to an SSH session where i wanted to monitor the CRON jobs being performed on a certain box... it was still connected when i woke up, and i had quite a bit of terminal logs waiting for me to page through... under the assumption that 10+ hours of SSH usage should have incurred an extra charge to my bill, it didn't. they pulled up my usage statements and showed them to me, there was nothing extra tacked on, and in the data fields was only the acronym 'UNL'... i don't know if this is a difference between offerings from Orange and Blue, but this is what i have...

for what its worth, i now have *in writing* from the manager that i will not incur any additional data charges on my account, he had no problem writing it up for me either, and signed it w/ his name, employee code and store number. i don't know what thats worth, but he seemed very confident that he was telling me the right thing... the fact that my usage doesn't reflect anything additional from my constant SSH usage seems telling to me though..

http://twash.com/iku/itsfullofstars.gif
    Well, if you still can't believe what 20 other people have stated 20 different times then why even ask?

Do I know WHAT about MW unlimited? That it's changing? I posted that in a message about 10 days ago before the 650's even started shipping.

That's a pretty neat feature. We ought to send a 6200 to SpeciMAN.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    On my Nokia 6200 you can tell when it is on EDGE though, the GPRS icons changes from a G to a G with a box around it when you are using EDGE. All the phones should be this way.
    Are you on Orange or Blue? He keeps mentioning mMode which is the ATT plan. Cingular is Media Works. Was this tethering through your laptop or through the phone? Check it again in 2-3 days. Data charges usually take 48-72hrs to show up.
    hi again MisterEd... sorry about the confusion, i am on Cingular Orange... i was mistaken thinking that the mMode plan and MediaWorks were the same thing, it is MediaWorks that they offered to set up for me but warned of restrictions on the service. there is no way i'm paying any data overage charges though, i took the word of the manager at the store and he did provide me w/ a written statement to that effect... i'll wave that around like a war flag if it comes to it!

btw, i'm a "she", not a "he"... hopefully my feminime wiles can garner me some preferential treatment from weak-hearted male managers in brick and mortar Cingular stores..!
    No, it should not work like that. If you haven't loaded any applications call PalmOne tech support for help. If you have loaded apps, remove them and try it again.
    Originally Posted by mellyv
    i just got the treo 650 form cingular ST.THOMAS US VIRGIN ISLANDS. IT HAS RESET ABOUT FOUR TO FIVE TIMES ALREADY BUT SO FAR OTHER THAN THAT IT HAS WORK OK.

FYI, I had a Sony Clie before my 650, and when I synced, it also synced some patches that didn't belong on the 650 and sended it into a reboot loop. I had to install everything piece by piece to figure it out, and it took me 6 hours. If you hotsynced, you may want to look at what is being transferred more closely. If this is happening right out of the box, then I would definitely be calling P1.
  15.    #835  
    Why ask? I don't know why I asked. Perhaps it was the someone posted a slower speed for what should have been a faster EDGE speed. Perhaps I started "stinkin' thinkin" when I heard the news that MediaWorks Unlimited had been nixed. Or maybe it was shinoSetsuna posted those really fast download speeds. Who knows? Sorry I did not see your post 10 days ago about the change in MediaWorks. Whatever it was, I started doubting like the disciple Thomas who needed proof.
    Well, if you still can't believe what 20 other people have stated 20 different times then why even ask?

Do I know WHAT about MW unlimited? That it's changing? I posted that in a message about 10 days ago before the 650's even started shipping.
  16.    #836  
    Same as the post above.... helpermonkey. Advise as you see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    What are you wondering specimen?
  17.    #837  
    Thanks for the assist. You are headed for a triple-double.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    Originally Posted by mellyv
    i just got the treo 650 form cingular ST.THOMAS US VIRGIN ISLANDS. IT HAS RESET ABOUT FOUR TO FIVE TIMES ALREADY BUT SO FAR OTHER THAN THAT IT HAS WORK OK.

FYI, I had a Sony Clie before my 650, and when I synced, it also synced some patches that didn't belong on the 650 and sended it into a reboot loop. I had to install everything piece by piece to figure it out, and it took me 6 hours. If you hotsynced, you may want to look at what is being transferred more closely. If this is happening right out of the box, then I would definitely be calling P1.
    Your wisdom prevails and my age shows. I belong to the boomers. Our fathers parents came home from WWII after 1946 and were fruitful and multiplied until 1963 or so. Should have stayed with Apple when I owned it @ 14/share a couple of years back. I think I missed that opportunity.
    Wow, I was starting to dread my thirty-something birthday coming up next week. All of you renew my faith that in the future I'll continue to be tech savvy and not let fun new toys pass me by

P.S. I'm STILL waiting for my Unlocked GSM Treo, and I know I'm not alone.
  19.    #839  
    Hey MacUser,

I am not that old. I am old enough to be your oldest, oldest brother, but not old enough to be your father.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Wow, I was starting to dread my thirty-something birthday coming up next week. All of you renew my faith that in the future I'll continue to be tech savvy and not let fun new toys pass me by

P.S. I'm STILL waiting for my Unlocked GSM Treo, and I know I'm not alone.
    Hey MacUser,

I am not that old. I am old enough to be your oldest, oldest brother, but not old enough to be your father.
    Okay oldest bro, I was just at PalmGear.com looking at applications. How much cash would you guestimate I'll need to spend on required software? Remember, I'm starting with nothing. You see, buying things for the 650 is the only way to keep sane knowing P1 is sitting on my Unlocked 650.