Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    P.S. 1st post from the 650.
    Very cool...man, I can't wait to get my unlocked version - it'll be my first Treo...and, looking forward to reading/posting to treocentral from it! Although, it'll be a lot slower since I'm using it on T-Mobile...maybe, I'll run to the Cingular store and buy a T650 to compare data speeds to T-Mobile's...
  2.    #802  
    shinoSetsuna,

I think what everyone is saying is that we you to get a good deal and don't want see you to pay more than you have to. I appreciate MisterEd and HelperMonkey and their expert advice on EDGE and data plans.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    All I can say is "YMMV" and make sure you check you bills after using tethered data. You will have no problem with HTTP or POP3 or IMAP but as soon as you get into VNC or SSH or anything that uses other then those non-standard ports WHILE TETHERING you are flying in very questionable territory. While I can't personally attest to those issues in Cingular Orange I can on Cingular Blue.

With all due respect to your local store manager (or any for that matter)many of them have 1/200th the "actual life experience" knowledge of some of the folks here or on the other boards. These managers usually just spout what they think they hear at their meetings, and at times 17 diiferent variations of the same theme. You can't take as "gospel" what many of them say just as you get 20 different variations of the same theme when you call the "knowledgeable" B2B reps on the phone. Did he UNDERSTAND what the specific types of data use you planned on using are or did he just say .... yea, it's unlimited PDA data so you can do unlimited things with it? I'd bet he never even read the exclusions of each various plan but heard ... Yes, a $39 unlimited PDA plan.

As for the plans. The $39 PDA PLAN is just that. A PDA PLAN and has the same data exclusions as the lower price MediaNet plans but it's for PDA's and not plain handsets. The difference (if I remember from what I read) is the APN it uses. It's for PDA use and not tethering (modem use) or any client/server application. Their "data connect" plan ($79) is meant for laptops with PC Card data devices and is also used where someone wants to use any other device as a modem. The fact he isn't aware of that plan is itself a warning (ask him what the "plan" is for the PC card he has on display next to his old Treo 600 in the back of the store).

In any case, it is very possible you may never get charged for any tethering (beyond http and pop3 and imap), or they may suddenly enforce it and you may in the future. My experience is on the BLUE side and from my experience there (and others as well) you are swimming in dangerous territory as to possible being billed doing the stuff you're planning on doing. They do look at port use. Plus, since he said tethering is DEFINATELY included you have some recourse (or not).

Just keep an eye on your billing online and you'll be OK. The PDA plan is only 3 or so months old so there is still unfamiliarity with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Interesting. I would be surprised if what the manager said could be backed up technically. I have never heard such talk before, and I think I am going to have to look into myself. Anyone have even the slightest idea how the data use could be pooled differently for different plans? BTW, the cruch is going to be felt most at peak hours anyway, because voice preempts data in most cases (sites have very few dedicated data slots - more data on demand slots).
  3.    #803  
    This person is paranoid, or an all out war is about to start between consumer and company. This post has that uninformed Hofo edge to it.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71741
  4.    #804  
    We know for certain that:

GPRS = EDGE

MEdia Works
    (Includes Unlimited Wireless Internet Express (GPRS), 1500 Text Messages plus 200 Multimedia Messages)

[EDIT] deletion
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/05/2005 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    This person is paranoid, or an all out war is about to start between consumer and company. This post has that uninformed Hofo edge to it.

Have you tried to order a Treo650 from Cingular.com lately? This is the screen you get. So before you go posting that someone is paranoid or some other stuff like that, do your research and be a little bit more respectful.

Your post is like the pot calling the kettle black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Unfortunately he's not paranoid. This was mentioned here by me about a week or so ago. Plans are a'changin'. WHO THEY APPLY TO at this point is the question (edit: or when they become effective - I had originally heard Feb 12 or 14).

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I'm 98% sure the $39.99 UNLIMITED plan has the same (alleged) restrictions as the $19.99 UNLIMITED plan - YMMV. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $only$ &$quot$;$wide$ $open$&$quot$; UNLIMITED plan is the $79.00 dealie. The $39 plan still restricts tethering as well.
    Well, that's the official position anyway. But does anyone really know how this is implemented?
    Well, as I've repeatedly said before, if you stick with POP3, HTTP, IMAP I have yet to hear of anyone billed for tethering (what they do is bill you - if I remember - .001/kb, they don't raise your plan to the more expensive plan). I have confirmed this with many (including my own experience to the tune of around $80 from a VPN connection). There are also some who CLAIM not to have been billed.

Most people don't realize that there is also a "Pay as you go" (non)plan. Basically you take no plan and they bill it at (I think) .003/kb for whatever you use. Some lady who had this (non)Plan recently posted on HoFo she got a $900+ bill because her handset was constanly connected on an IM program for days on end.

My experience is on the BLUE side, but from what I have read ORANGE is pretty much the same.

DISCLAIMER: YMMV!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    Well, that's the official position anyway. But does anyone really know how this is implemented?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    I bought Treo 650 at the Cingular Store in Beltsville MD yesterday (2005-02-04). There were 2 in stock and someone bought the other one while I was there.

I love it so far, having come from a non-networked Sony SJ33. The MediaWorks plan I had purchased last week for my "stupid" phone carried over to the 650 when it took over the existing number.

P.S. 1st post from the 650.
    Are you a new Cingular user, or were you already a customer (Blue or Orange). Let us know how it works for you.
    Treo 650 GSM
    You guys in denial about the end of the $20 unlimited data Mediaworks plan make me laugh

TM
  11.    #811  
    Denial is a river in Egypt.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonymoody
    You guys in denial about the end of the $20 unlimited data Mediaworks plan make me laugh

TM
  12.    #812  
    ZBoater,

I went there a half-hour ago and I got unlimited internet. I will go back and post again. What market do you live in? That has a major bearing on what is offered to you. Under Zip Code type in Manhattan 10003 and then tell me what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Have you tried to order a Treo650 from Cingular.com lately? This is the screen you get. So before you go posting that someone is paranoid or some other stuff like that, do your research and be a little bit more respectful.

Your post is like the pot calling the kettle black.
    i just got the treo 650 form cingular ST.THOMAS US VIRGIN ISLANDS. IT HAS RESET ABOUT FOUR TO FIVE TIMES ALREADY BUT SO FAR OTHER THAN THAT IT HAS WORK OK.
  14.    #814  
    After I read the post stating that MediaWorks had been changed, I went to PalmOne's site and found this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I get on the web, it briefly says "Connecting to GPRS" or something like that. . .

Anyway, my dslreports/mspeed has been between 51 and 55 kbit/sec on 3 tests.
  16.    #816  
    Thanks so much for that post. Then it is GPRS as they state. Perhaps others smarter than I can confirm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    When I get on the web, it briefly says "Connecting to GPRS" or something like that. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

That is what it should say when you connect. EDGE is just an add on to GPRS that is why it doesn't say EDGE specificly.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Yes, but Cingular's site says: http://discuss.treocentral.com/attac...achmentid=6334 ...... interesting. At this point I can only say "I'm glad I'm on BLUE" and don't have to be concerned about all this crap. YET!

After I read the post stating that MediaWorks had been changed, I went to PalmOne's site and found this.
    Okay, so basically what you are saying is that because PalmOne says that Cingular's plan is unlimited, and CINGULAR says that the CINGULAR plan is now 3MB, then we should listen to PalmOne (because they obviously know what is going on with Cingular's plans) and forget whatever the Cingular.com site is saying (because obviously Cingular doesn't know anything about pending changes to Cingular's plans).

I see.

Okay, then I guess I am just paranoid.
  20.    #820  
    No, it should not work like that. If you haven't loaded any applications call PalmOne tech support for help. If you have loaded apps, remove them and try it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellyv
    i just got the treo 650 form cingular ST.THOMAS US VIRGIN ISLANDS. IT HAS RESET ABOUT FOUR TO FIVE TIMES ALREADY BUT SO FAR OTHER THAN THAT IT HAS WORK OK.