Page 40 of 63 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1254
  1. #781  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I'm 98% sure the $39.99 UNLIMITED plan has the same (alleged) restrictions as the $19.99 UNLIMITED plan - YMMV. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $only$ &$quot$;$wide$ $open$&$quot$; UNLIMITED plan is the $79.00 dealie. The $39 plan still restricts tethering as well.
    i don't know about that, that is at least not what i was told when i signed up for the unlimited data plan at $39.99 monthly... actually, the manager of my local cingular store never even mentioned or offered the $79 plan that you mention, and did state that while he would sign me up for the mMode plan that there would be caveats to using it. he said that users of the mMode service are "pooled" differently when it comes to download slots, and at peak usage hours the crunch would be felt most. he did tell me that my $39.99 plan *would* allow tethering definitely though, i asked him about this specifically.

    i am happy w/ my data speeds so far regardless, heres some results from dslreports from my 650..!

    50k speed test
    93 kbit/sec
    1.751s latency

    100k speed test
    114 kbit/sec
    1.846s latency

    200k speed test
    136 kbit/sec
    1.688 latency

    so far i am very pleased w/ my new 650 and the service from Cingular... as a long-time tMobile user i grew accustomed to data speeds below dial-up, so this is a real step up for me. i have also had no troubles at all SSH'ing to many Unix systems today via the TuSSH program (highly recommended SSH client, btw!)... flawless performance administering boxes running OSs ranging from Irix, Solaris and AIX.

    being able to carry this kind of connectivity and convenience around w/ me and not having to be tethered to wired systems throughout much of my day is worth every penny of the $39.99 monthly to me, to be honest i wouldn't even care if it cost $79 monthly..!

    http://twash.com/iku/jollygood.gif
  2.    #782  
    Considering your results of your speed tests, your $39.99 is well worth it. Also, these speeds are appreciably faster than CDMA speeds by about 20%. From region to region, I am certain these speeds vary, but it is still good to hear about some getting go download speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    i don't know about that, that is at least not what i was told when i signed up for the unlimited data plan at $39.99 monthly... actually, the manager of my local cingular store never even mentioned or offered the $79 plan that you mention, and did state that while he would sign me up for the mMode plan that there would be caveats to using it. he said that users of the mMode service are "pooled" differently when it comes to download slots, and at peak usage hours the crunch would be felt most. he did tell me that my $39.99 plan *would* allow tethering definitely though, i asked him about this specifically.

    i am happy w/ my data speeds so far regardless, heres some results from dslreports from my 650..!

    50k speed test
    93 kbit/sec
    1.751s latency

    100k speed test
    114 kbit/sec
    1.846s latency

    200k speed test
    136 kbit/sec
    1.688 latency

    so far i am very pleased w/ my new 650 and the service from Cingular... as a long-time tMobile user i grew accustomed to data speeds below dial-up, so this is a real step up for me. i have also had no troubles at all SSH'ing to many Unix systems today via the TuSSH program (highly recommended SSH client, btw!)... flawless performance administering boxes running OSs ranging from Irix, Solaris and AIX.

    being able to carry this kind of connectivity and convenience around w/ me and not having to be tethered to wired systems throughout much of my day is worth every penny of the $39.99 monthly to me, to be honest i wouldn't even care if it cost $79 monthly..!

    http://twash.com/iku/jollygood.gif
  3.    #783  
    They honored the price of $599.99 -- I am sure. Did anyone have a different experience? PalmOne is a company of people. They are mere mortals, who make mistakes. A few of us got the bonus for that.

    Or....did they leave the back door open deliberately to let a few of us who were "Waiting For GSM Model?" -- score after such as tormented wait. Especially to those waiting on T-Mobile? Remember, they are reading these threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Treo Central Stories Page: "UPDATED The price of the unlocked Treo 650 has increased by a $100, up to $699 from $599. The $599 price was "a mistake," according to palmOne. "
    Suppose you ordered one for $599- for shipment before 2/3. P1 does not ship; back orders. What price will they charge you? Will they tell you? If they offer you the new price, will you pay?
    Last edited by specimen38; 02/05/2005 at 07:23 AM.
  4. #784  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    They honored the price of $599.99 -- I am sure. Did anyone have a different experience? PalmOne is a company of people. They are mere mortals, who make mistakes. A few of us got the bonus for that.

    Or....did they leave the back door open deliberately to let a few of us who were "Waiting For GSM Model?" -- score after such as tormented wait. Remember, they are reading these threads.
    Have they shipped to anyone that ordered at the $599- price?
  5.    #785  
    I don't know the answer to that. I am sure we will know soon enough. The irony in all of this is that "I am still waiting for GSM."
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Have they shipped to anyone that ordered at the $599- price?
  6.    #786  
    Here is a link referencing people who indicated an order was received from the "I Have Ordered Unlocked Palmone Gsm 650. Who's With Me???!!!" thread:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=1027187

    I would imagine they all got under the wire. Several of them state the price $599.99 they paid in their post.
  7. #787  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I don't know the answer to that. I am sure we will know soon enough. The irony in all of this is that "I am still waiting for GSM."
    Why are you surprised? It isn't even March 2005 yet.
  8. #788  
    All I can say is "YMMV" and make sure you check you bills after using tethered data. You will have no problem with HTTP or POP3 or IMAP but as soon as you get into VNC or SSH or anything that uses other then those non-standard ports WHILE TETHERING you are flying in very questionable territory. While I can't personally attest to those issues in Cingular Orange I can on Cingular Blue.

    With all due respect to your local store manager (or any for that matter)many of them have 1/200th the "actual life experience" knowledge of some of the folks here or on the other boards. These managers usually just spout what they think they hear at their meetings, and at times 17 diiferent variations of the same theme. You can't take as "gospel" what many of them say just as you get 20 different variations of the same theme when you call the "knowledgeable" B2B reps on the phone. Did he UNDERSTAND what the specific types of data use you planned on using are or did he just say .... yea, it's unlimited PDA data so you can do unlimited things with it? I'd bet he never even read the exclusions of each various plan but heard ... Yes, a $39 unlimited PDA plan.

    As for the plans. The $39 PDA PLAN is just that. A PDA PLAN and has the same data exclusions as the lower price MediaNet plans but it's for PDA's and not plain handsets. The difference (if I remember from what I read) is the APN it uses. It's for PDA use and not tethering (modem use) or any client/server application. Their "data connect" plan ($79) is meant for laptops with PC Card data devices and is also used where someone wants to use any other device as a modem. The fact he isn't aware of that plan is itself a warning (ask him what the "plan" is for the PC card he has on display next to his old Treo 600 in the back of the store).

    In any case, it is very possible you may never get charged for any tethering (beyond http and pop3 and imap), or they may suddenly enforce it and you may in the future. My experience is on the BLUE side and from my experience there (and others as well) you are swimming in dangerous territory as to possible being billed doing the stuff you're planning on doing. They do look at port use. Plus, since he said tethering is DEFINATELY included you have some recourse (or not).

    Just keep an eye on your billing online and you'll be OK. The PDA plan is only 3 or so months old so there is still unfamiliarity with it.


    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    i don't know about that, that is at least not what i was told when i signed up for the unlimited data plan at $39.99 monthly... actually, the manager of my local cingular store never even mentioned or offered the $79 plan that you mention, and did state that while he would sign me up for the mMode plan that there would be caveats to using it. he said that users of the mMode service are "pooled" differently when it comes to download slots, and at peak usage hours the crunch would be felt most. he did tell me that my $39.99 plan *would* allow tethering definitely though, i asked him about this specifically.
  9. #789  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Here is a link referencing people who indicated an order was received from the "I Have Ordered Unlocked Palmone Gsm 650. Who's With Me???!!!" thread:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=1027187

    I would imagine they all got under the wire. Several of them state the price $599.99 they paid in their post.
    I could not find any of them that said that they had received one at that price. Until someone actually gets one at that price, it is still P1 tease. You are younger than I am and can afford to cut them more slack. It is already 02/05 and February is a short month. Can you say March 2005?
  10. #790  
    Do you have an unlocked 650 to confirm that? I guess that scenario is possible. I never heard of that but can't say it ain't so. Guess we'll find out when the unlocked 650's come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by iJITSU
    The treo will automatically detect the settings and fill them in. I don't think this works with most other phones but apparently the treo is "smart" enough to do it.
  11.    #791  
    What makes you think I am so young and thereby slack cutter?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I could not find any of them that said that they had received one at that price. Until someone actually gets one at that price, it is still P1 tease. You are younger than I am and can afford to cut them more slack. It is already 02/05 and February is a short month. Can you say March 2005?
  12. #792  
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    i don't know about that, that is at least not what i was told when i signed up for the unlimited data plan at $39.99 monthly... actually, the manager of my local cingular store never even mentioned or offered the $79 plan that you mention, and did state that while he would sign me up for the mMode plan that there would be caveats to using it. he said that users of the mMode service are "pooled" differently when it comes to download slots, and at peak usage hours the crunch would be felt most. he did tell me that my $39.99 plan *would* allow tethering definitely though, i asked him about this specifically.
    Interesting. I would be surprised if what the manager said could be backed up technically. I have never heard such talk before, and I think I am going to have to look into myself. Anyone have even the slightest idea how the data use could be pooled differently for different plans? BTW, the cruch is going to be felt most at peak hours anyway, because voice preempts data in most cases (sites have very few dedicated data slots - more data on demand slots).
    Treo 650 GSM
  13.    #793  
    This post came before the price hike. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ved#post543269
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I could not find any of them that said that they had received one at that price. Until someone actually gets one at that price, it is still P1 tease. You are younger than I am and can afford to cut them more slack. It is already 02/05 and February is a short month. Can you say March 2005?
  14.    #794  
    Hey helper,

    I am impressed with the speeds. I just I am so lucky with MediaWorks in the SF Bay Area. Hey...Mtreosexual if you're listening -- fire up that the Sprint phone and post the DSL report. I can't think of the name of that website at the moment. I am getting old -- whmurray. I can't remember things they way I used to. I think it's http://www.dslreport.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Interesting. I would be surprised if what the manager said could be backed up technically. I have never heard such talk before, and I think I am going to have to look into myself. Anyone have even the slightest idea how the data use could be pooled differently for different plans? BTW, the cruch is going to be felt most at peak hours anyway, because voice preempts data in most cases (sites have very few dedicated data slots - more data on demand slots).
    [EDIT] Someone steer me right.
  15. #795  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    What makes you think I am so young and thereby slack cutter?
    I only said that you are younger than I. I am a septagenarian; most people are younger than I. It is clear from the record that you have been willing to give P1 every possible benefit of the doubt. While I try not to attribute to malice what can be as easily explained by stupidity, P1 cannot be both smart enough to develop the Treo and stupid enough to treat its customers as it does.

    Buy Apple, sell P1.
  16. #796  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I am getting old -- whmurray. I can't remember things they way I used to. I think it's http://www.dslreport.com/ [EDIT] Someone steer me right.
    I cannot even remember them the way they used to be.
  17. #797  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    where are you located?
    Decatur, AL. The phone came in yesterday afternoon and I"m playing with it now, learning to use it. I haven't been able to get numbers on the web speed yet.
  18.    #798  
    Your wisdom prevails and my age shows. I belong to the boomers. Our fathers parents came home from WWII after 1946 and were fruitful and multiplied until 1963 or so. Should have stayed with Apple when I owned it @ 14/share a couple of years back. I think I missed that opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I only said that you are younger than I. I am a septagenarian; most people are younger than I. It is clear from the record that you have been willing to give P1 every possible benefit of the doubt. While I try not to attribute to malice what can be as easily explained by stupidity, P1 cannot be both smart enough to develop the Treo and stupid enough to treat its customers as it does.

    Buy Apple, sell P1.
  19. #799  
    No wonder you're such a curmudgeon!! Now I have more respect for your opinins! By the way, it's spelled: septuagenarian. We're probably about 1 "genarian" apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I am a septagenarian
  20. #800  
    I bought Treo 650 at the Cingular Store in Beltsville MD yesterday (2005-02-04). There were 2 in stock and someone bought the other one while I was there.

    I love it so far, having come from a non-networked Sony SJ33. The MediaWorks plan I had purchased last week for my "stupid" phone carried over to the 650 when it took over the existing number.

    P.S. 1st post from the 650.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA

Posting Permissions