Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
    Those of you who are using BT headsets, what kind of battery life do you get on the h/s? What is the recharge time?
    Sure it could. But I have never had a suddenly disconnected call in the last 4 months in the same area with my other phone. It's just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    That could be from anything. There are plenty of things that cause drops besides signal strength. Anyone else with this problem? Not me.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Going by my business reps office in the morning to pick up the new addition to the family! :-)
    Vince
    I am in the Cingular store with GSM 650 IN HAND! I am going right home to start playing with my new toy!!!! Yippee!!!!!
    I am in my office hot syncing my treo 650. My rep just text'ed me at 3 pm and send he got them in the store. I am the first in Shreveport to get one. He has 12 more that are spoken for already. The first thing that grabs you is the screen, awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Sure it could. But I have never had a suddenly disconnected call in the last 4 months in the same area with my other phone. It's just an observation.
    I just wanted to point that out... from experience I find all but the most obvious dropped calls are very hard to reproduce if reproducable at all (in practice).
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    I am in my office hot syncing my treo 650. My rep just text'ed me at 3 pm and send he got them in the store. I am the first in Shreveport to get one. He has 12 more that are spoken for already. The first thing that grabs you is the screen, awesome.
    My Cingular reps are still clueless but I have told them to take me from the top of the list. Cingular customer but not interested in locked phone. Only take one or two trips across the pond to pay the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    My college roomate has lived in Shre'poat all his married life.
    yup, can't lay claim to the quote but i'm glad that you share my appreciation for it
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Those of you who are using BT headsets, what kind of battery life do you get on the h/s? What is the recharge time?
    I am just guessing, but I would say a few hours... I know that is vauge, but my ear gets sore probably before the battery runs out, that and the fact that I do not usually perform excessivly long calls very often.
    Treo 650 GSM
    got my GSM 650 today, gave up on going through the 3-day ordeal i've had w/ B2B via Cingular Blue, and just walked into my local Cingular store and got it then and there... the manager had received *2* 650's, kept one for himself and sold me the other, it wasn't even on display.

charging it up now, cant wait to play w/ it more later tonight..!
    If anyone is having trouble finding a Cingular 650, I'll sell you the one I just bought from PalmOne's store in LA. I've decided I want an unbranded one and they have a 10% re-stocking fee. I'll sell it for what I paid: $549+tax. PM me.
  13.    #753  
    Good move... Tell us about it. Do you have a specific application for using it? What accessories will you purchase?
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    got my GSM 650 today, gave up on going through the 3-day ordeal i've had w/ B2B via Cingular Blue, and just walked into my local Cingular store and got it then and there... the manager had received *2* 650's, kept one for himself and sold me the other, it wasn't even on display.

charging it up now, cant wait to play w/ it more later tonight..!
  14.    #754  
    Perhaps you haven't heard. The unbranded, unlocked phones went up $100.00 today. They may no bearing on what you do. Just FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    If anyone is having trouble finding a Cingular 650, I'll sell you the one I just bought from PalmOne's store in LA. I've decided I want an unbranded one and they have a 10% re-stocking fee. I'll sell it for what I paid: $549+tax. PM me.
  15.    #755  
    My Dear GSMers,

We need to re-think a few things. Seriously!

I strongly believe PalmOne and Cingular are getting their cues from us. They are reading these threads. They are changing their minds over night and making decisions about hardware pricing, distribution and rate plans. We are their "focus group."

Evidence:

1) A week ago B2B was trying to sell $49.99/mo. unlimited rate plans on top of voice service. Curiously, it disappeared and PalmOne bundled MediaWorks with the GSM Treo 650 for $19.99/mo. I will like to submit that they listening to the backlash and strategizing on TC.

2) Why did PalmOne raise their price after two days? Why do Cingular lower their price since last week?

3) Be fair warned, Cingular is going to start haggering more with the rate plans to add more pressure to get the engagement 2-years on a rate plan. That's suppose to happen February 14th...when the new rate plans come out. To date, you can't get mobile to mobile w/o 2-years, roaming???, and few other items. This is an assault on those who want the unlocked phone.

4) Do you conclude what I conclude? They are reading this thread and perhaps others and figuring out what is in their best interest.

5) Your thoughts.......(if my facts aren't correct, I am sure there is someone out there who will set me straight)
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Good move... Tell us about it. Do you have a specific application for using it? What accessories will you purchase?
    well, my 650 from cingular ended up costing me $449 total, and that was w/ a *1* year contract. the manager granted me the 2-year pricebreak after i agreed to the unlimited data plan for $39.99 a month, i didn't want to take the chance of having any issues w/ blocked ports on the mMode plan crop up, i really need SSH and Telnet access, along w/ encrypted VPN... i'll be using my 650 as my all-around data device it seems, i do carry my Apple Powerbook w/ me at times but won't have to near as much now that i have the 650 (hope that DUN patch surfaces soon though!).

as for accessories, my Sony Ericsson HBH-600 BT headset seems to work flawlessly w/ the 650 so far, paired immediately and has not dropped a call as of yet (only a couple hours worth of play yet though!). i really need to find a good protective case for my Treo, but not sure what model to go w/ yet... for now it will be nestled safely w/in my purse and very carefully used. a cradle would be a nice edition next!

tonight i will be trying out some different software on my new unit, the bundled browser seems decent but doesn't handle images on html pages all that well... i *really* could use decent Java support..!

http://twash.com/iku/loveyoubabe.gif
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I strongly believe PalmOne and Cingular are getting their cues from us. They are reading these threads. They are changing their minds over night and making decisions about hardware pricing, distribution and rate plans. We are their "focus group."
    Unfortunately enthusiast boards like this are the vocal minority. What we say does matter to PalmOne, but we do not represent the conventional wisdom of the public. It would be risky to bank your market research on a demographic you could not profile.

The bottom line is PalmOne's friend here is the carrier, and what the carrier says carries the most weight. PalmOne has the least to gain by selling an unlocked/unbranded unit -- it is a one-time hardware sale with no recurring revenues. Cingular and Sprint rely on contracts and recurring revenues, and best of all, PalmOne doesn't have to do much -- keep the carriers happy, keep them stocked with smartphones, and sales are measured in 1000s of units, not individually.

I firmly believe the price adjustment was Cingular saying "hey PalmOne, there's not enough distinction in price between your unlocked phone and our locked/branded phone". In an effort to keep Cingular as a happy distributor, hike up the price of the unlocked version. Cingular sales go up, sales again are measured in 1000s of units sold, and PalmOne can watch the money roll in.

The reality is, very few people need an unlocked phone, but for a $50 premium it margin between locked and branded and unbranded is pretty minor. You have to think twice for a $150 premium.
  18.    #758  
    You have some very specific or even mission critical data stuff to do with your 650. It is apparent that you need it to be reliable. Which PowerBook do you have? What is the difference between PowerBook and iBook? I am thinking about trading my Dell laptop in for an iBook at home. I sit in front of a PC everyday, I think I want to come home to something different, a Mac. Seems as though you could benefit from the Treo keyboard for some of your applications. That might be presumptious, but I think I will need one. Great to see you are enjoying it. Take care...
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    well, my 650 from cingular ended up costing me $449 total, and that was w/ a *1* year contract. the manager granted me the 2-year pricebreak after i agreed to the unlimited data plan for $39.99 a month, i didn't want to take the chance of having any issues w/ blocked ports on the mMode plan crop up, i really need SSH and Telnet access, along w/ encrypted VPN... i'll be using my 650 as my all-around data device it seems, i do carry my Apple Powerbook w/ me at times but won't have to near as much now that i have the 650 (hope that DUN patch surfaces soon though!).

as for accessories, my Sony Ericsson HBH-600 BT headset seems to work flawlessly w/ the 650 so far, paired immediately and has not dropped a call as of yet (only a couple hours worth of play yet though!). i really need to find a good protective case for my Treo, but not sure what model to go w/ yet... for now it will be nestled safely w/in my purse and very carefully used. a cradle would be a nice edition next!

tonight i will be trying out some different software on my new unit, the bundled browser seems decent but doesn't handle images on html pages all that well... i *really* could use decent Java support..!

http://twash.com/iku/loveyoubabe.gif
    You have some very specific or even mission critical data stuff to do with your 650. It is apparent that you need it to be reliable. Which PowerBook do you have? What is the difference between PowerBook and iBook? I am thinking about trading my Dell laptop in for an iBook at home. I sit in front of a PC everyday, I think I want to come home to something different, a Mac. Seems as though you could benefit from the Treo keyboard for some of your applications. That might be presumptious, but I think I will need one. Great to see you are enjoying it. Take care...
    i'm a real apple afficianado, and have both a 12" and 17" Powerbook, the iBook is a great buy for a portable and inexpensive machine, a better deal than the 12" Powerbook i must admit. if you want something more powerful that can serve as a desktop replacement i cant recommend the 17" Powerbook enough, wonderful machine. the 650 is really going to cut some of the wires that tie me to my work, i'm clearing a 1GB SD card right now to start playing w/ some third-party applications..
    for the best "bang for the buck" i would go fo the 14" iBook. it has a nice screen (although only 1024x768) and you can get bluetooth and airport extreme. plus, it has the longest battery life of the apple laptops and is a pretty good deal price-wise, even with all the above. once you max out the memory, it's still less than the 17" powerbook. however, wiht the powerbook you get better video card (128mb RAM), higher resolution screen, dvd/cd burner, backlit keyboard and the shiny metal finish.