Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    With a standard (expensive) data plan you use an access point that has the potential to scale to a higher bandwith to handle more customers using a lot of data (something about number of dedicated and on-demand download and upload time slots,)
    taylorh, what exactly do you mean by this? Timeslots on the radio you are on?
    Treo 650 GSM
    That is for AT&T mMode as I can confirm it from personal ($84) experience tethering a Nokia 6620. I have no idea if Cingular MediaWorks does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    she even mentioned that some reps had made the mistake of allowing mMode instead of a true data plan... after reading that ports other than 80, 25 and 110 will be billed seperately, i'm not interested in mMode anymore regardless.
    Seems IMAP4 is OK. read this HOFO thread thoroughly: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=476385 and it's .001 per KB.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Thanks for the heads up MisterED. Any idea if IMAP is considered mMode? If its not my bill is going to be huge.
    MEdia Works is indeed WAP access (wap.cingular apn). Full net access (isp.cingular apn) is referred to as "Data Connect" and costs $80/month and is offered for PC cards. You don't have full net access as a Cingular customer unless the "DATA CONNECT" feature appears on your account.

Todd/Indy
    am waiting for the palmOne, its DUN enabled

http://wolwol.smugmug.com/photos/15168421-M.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Nope. Will post a pic tomorrow...
    Here are pics of the AT&T SIM that I haven't activated and a couple pics of the phone...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Here are pics of the AT&T SIM that I haven't activated and a couple pics of the phone...
    i love it!
    thanks for the pictures
    Just curious, what exaclty DON'T you have access to with MW? According to MANY people posting on numerous boards they have no problem doing anything internet related (including VNC & VPN) using MediaWorks. Are you speaking from personal experience or what you assume it to be? I don't have MW but have the ATT version mMode (which is allegedly also only WAP) and have no problem doing anything non-wap. Disclaimer: this obviously could all change very quickly and YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    MEdia Works is indeed WAP access (wap.cingular apn). Full net access (isp.cingular apn) is referred to as "Data Connect" and costs $80/month and is offered for PC cards. You don't have full net access as a Cingular customer unless the "DATA CONNECT" feature appears on your account.

Todd/Indy

Todd/Indy
    No, we have been through this many times already, many of us have it and we have full internet access, despite what the website says.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    No, we have been through this many times already, many of us have it and we have full internet access, despite what the website says.
    But will you have Edge with Media Works?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    But will you have Edge with Media Works?
    Yes
    I'm not quoting any web site. Follow the link from cingular.com to "other cingular sites" and then on to the developer site. The PDF doc on that site (Device and Software Settings) explains why VPN should work with WAP access.

The primary difference between WAP and ISP apn's is that WAP is a NATted IP, and ISP gets a real IP.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Why ?

Just because, i'm stuck with them for several more months and they arent releasing the 650 until may.

yeah, I should have my vc treo by then, but it still gets me that they are taking so long.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    OK---since we're seeing Cingular Consumer also locking SIMS down, we all must face the fact that any t650 fron a carrier will be LOCKED. Now, my question is this....if these phones are locked AND have DUN disabled should we look elsewhere (direct from p1?)? I would REALLY like to know if firmware could UNLOCK a phone (since its already assumed that DUN can be done). And finally....I know DUN has had stabiliby issues, anyone have more information regarding that claim? Do you think its worth just getting it from p1? I currently bought a v551 whichs works quite well w/ MediaWorks (however I only have GPRS here at college) and tethering. I paid 150$ish for it and I'm elligle for my 30day trade-in. Anyways, opinions?

Thanks Guys
    Dale
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    I currently bought a v551 whichs works quite well w/ MediaWorks (however I only have GPRS here at college) and tethering. I paid 150$ish for it and I'm elligle for my 30day trade-in. Anyways, opinions?

Thanks Guys
    Dale
    Hmmm....
    This sounds interesting. Is this policy for Cingular? I may have to try if it is...
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Yes--I called SSG and talked to Dean. He added a note (with the manager's approval) to allow me to exchange my v551 past 30days for a t650 (since it wasnt out yet). I had him call ATT Business to prove the upcoming release....

Anything on the p1 vs. Cingular?
    I ordered my 650 on Thursday of last week, hoping to get it on Friday. No dice. I left Saturday for a business trip to Canada, and my 650 was delivered to my home on Monday. It just so happens that my SE T68i died on me in the airport on my way to my meeting. So I am stuck with no phone, while my 650 waits for me at home. Of course I made the mistake of asking my wife to charge the phone for me while I was gone, forgetting that the reciept was in the box. Well she knows I am addicted gadget geek, and it is well worth it to come back to the Palm operating system. When my business went to an Exchange server I went with an Ipaq 4150. It will be soooo nice to be back with an OS that you don't have to make 300 clicks to get to where you want to be.

I get back on Thursday to play with my new toy. Thought about having it overnighted to me, but that was going to be $50.00 and I probably would not be able to activate it off the Cingular network.

Sorry for rambling.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm not quoting any web site. Follow the link from cingular.com to "other cingular sites" and then on to the developer site. The PDF doc on that site (Device and Software Settings) explains why VPN should work with WAP access.

The primary difference between WAP and ISP apn's is that WAP is a NATted IP, and ISP gets a real IP.

Todd/Indy
    So what limitations would not having a real IP have on us? I assume nothing unless you were trying to remotelhy connect to a PC which was tethered to a Treo650...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    So what limitations would not having a real IP have on us? I assume nothing unless you were trying to remotelhy connect to a PC which was tethered to a Treo650...
    I have been unable to make PDANet work through the WAP server.
    I use PDANet on my Treo 600 and it works just fine. I use it to VPN in to work from my laptop over my Treo 600 via PDANet (Cisco VPN 3000 Concentrator with Checkpoint.) I have Media Works which uses NAT, normally NAT shouldn't be an issue. If you have a router on your broadband at home (or at work for that matter, you're behind a router,) the router gives you a NAT IP (the whold point of the router,) so it's the same exact concept. The only limitations to NAT are hosting servers (you need control over port forwarding,) which you shouldn't need to do, and PPTP VPN won't work over NAT (IPSec VPN will.)
    My DSLReport mobile speed test reports these speeds when using PDAnet from a PC (Treo 600 again, GPRS on MediaWorks.)
    34 kbit/sec; 1.865s latency
    34 kbit/sec; 2.542s latency
    My opinion is that unless you specifically need a real IP, there's no reason not to save and go with Mediaworks.

The other differences between the WAP and ISP access points, and again this is something I readon Howard Forums, is that the ISP has more dedicated download time slots than the WAP one does. So the ISP access point can potentially handle more high volume traffic. You'd have to research this aspect yourself, but I don't think it's an issue you need to be concerned with. After all, yoiu can always drop Media Works and switch to a higher priced data plan.
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/01/2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G