Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
  1.    #441  
    Milo Bloom...You Rock! Great Report!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    OK...

My background: I Have been a long time "Smart-phone" fan, all the way back to the Kyocera QCP 6035 , and I have always liked Palm over Pocket-PC. I have had both types of PDAs over the last 8 years. I consider myself a heavy PDA user.

Quick Review: The 650 is the best cell phone I have ever had AND the best PDA I have ever used. I say both separately because more than anything else I have used in the past, the 650 has the best of both worlds in a great package.

First Impressions: Unlike any new PDA I have had in the past, this one has caused me the least issues. Even with moving data around, installing old apps, trying new apps, and using the heck out of the 650 over 4+ days I have not ONCE had to reset the unit because of some kind of error or lockup. I did have the system restart when working with the Bluetooth hack, but nothing bad happened, the Treo just rebooted and all was well. I have been very surprised with the way I have been able to use this new toy so much and not have the normal issues you have when breaking things in.

The Good:
    Speed - This thing is fast, very responsive in general (see below)

Screen - Totally amazing. Blows away everyone I show it to.

Bluetooth - Best implementation I have used yet. Seting up Bluetooth sync was very easy (unlike Pocket-PC, what a pain in the A*@). Hands free is also great. I have never liked the fact that when you have your BT headset on, and answer the phone on the phone, the headset is active. Why not have a setting to say "If I answer the call on the phone, make the phone active. If I answer the phone on the headset, make the headset active"??? Am I asking too much? Well, the Treo treats me right here, because when I answer the call on the phone with the headset on (and usually in my pocket, not on my head), I have a button to disable the headset on the screen. I can easily turn the headset back on when I get it out my my pocket. Nice touch and a easy way to manage your headset. I do have the DUN hack, but have not got to do full 100% test it.

Voice Quality - Very good. The wife said I sound great on the GSM 650, that all that counts in my book.

RF - I am getting good signal strength in places my Audiovox 5600 did not. I think the RF in the GSM 650 is working well.

Keyboard - I am getting used to it quickly. I can't tell you how many times you will grab the top of the phone if you had a 600 before. I am still doing it. I think in a week I will be moving around on the 650 quicker than I ever did on the 600.

Data Speed - I am impressed with the download speed in blazer. The best test we did was a Fark photoshop thread. We download a page up to 3megs in less than 60seconds. Blazer stooped at 2.99Megs saying the page was too big, but when it stopped, we had a lot of pictures we could look and and the page rendered OK. I know I am downloading stuff faster via EDGE than I did on Sprint.

The (not so) Bad:
    Battery Life - I don't think I am getting as good battery life on the GSM 650 as I was on the Sprint 600. I don't use a LOT of voice, but do use the PDA a lot. I think over the last 4 days I have had to charge it 3 times. I am getting about 1 1/2 days of use. I do use verichat (in SMS mode when not in verichat), have verismail get my gmail every hour during the day, and have been using the net a lot. I will have a better idea of battery life when I have a normal work week this week.

Speed (Part Duex) - While the 650 is fast, there is this weird 1/2sec delay when I hit the power to unlock/lock it. It did this before I ever installed an app. Sometimes I also can not turn the Treo on with the red power button, I have to hit the green phone button. Also, moving in and out of the date-book takes about a sec. This is not a deal breaker, but on the Sprint 600, I had no delay doing the same things.

I will take request for pictures/screen shots. I think most of us have seen tons of GSM 650 pics over the last month. Not sure if I have anything new to contribute.
  2.    #442  
    Would you really do that for the Specimen? I will PM you.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    I have a foundation account number through my company.
    My coworker had already an AT&T account, called them with that number and they applied the corporate discount on his account... no questions asked.
    If you want to try, I PM you the #.
    Let me know.

And this applies to Specimen38... since I am getting a lot of requests... that was my fault though.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Maybe I am just a non-power using Treo newbie, but what is the big deal on a little more memory being used up to have the satisfaction of not losing your data? If I had a choice I would choose data stability myself. I have a memory card anyway. I have never lost any data on my 650 and I am pleased about that.
    Well, one "big deal" is that some of us will not be able to port our 600 configuration to a 650. I have had a 600 for over a year and have never lost my data. Even a loss of data is not a problem for those who sync daily to a PC. This design is mostly about Sprint's business customers who do not sync to a PC. They have battery problems because they use Sprint. Therefore Sprint argued for a replaceable battery. The persistent storage is to provide a safe switch to the second battery. Many of us would much prefer more storage. Data and applications expand to fill the storage available to put them in. Therefore, some of us were waiting for the 32M limit to go away. We were surprised and disappointed, not to say shocked, that the 650 not only did not have more useable storage than the 600 but actually had less.

(In theory, better power management is an advantage of CDMA. In practice, it is not sufficient to compensate for Sprint's big cells. In practice GSM users have gotten much better battery life than Sprint users.)
    Just called to see if I could get a tracking number for my order. They said that there was no tracking number yet
    She said to call back tomorow

I want my TREO NOW!
    My 650 came with a new SIM which I haven't tried yet. My old SIM from my ATTWS 600 worked fine. Question for GSM users...when the data connection is starting, does it still say Starting GPRS or does it say something different? Guess I will need to try the new SIM to see if there's any difference.

200k Speed results with my old SIM in the 650 from DSLReports/mspeed

48kbit/sec
    2.402 latency
    35.356 seconds d/l time

Speed results in my 600
    32kbit/sec
    1.979s latency
    51.368s d/l time

Hopefully my new SIM will be better? Think it will make any difference?

BTW, P key is softer than the others but seems to work ok. What an awesome screen. Like the Dpad on the 600 though since it's larger. Hitting down on the Dpad is a little tougher as your thumb tends to feel weird hitting near the T and Y keys...

more later...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    My 650 came with a new SIM which I haven't tried yet. My old SIM from my ATTWS 600 worked fine. Question for GSM users...when the data connection is starting, does it still say Starting GPRS or does it say something different? Guess I will need to try the new SIM to see if there's any difference.

48kbit/sec
    2.402 latency
    35.356 seconds d/l time

Speed results in my 600
    32kbit/sec
    1.979s latency
    51.368s d/l time

BTW, P key is softer than the others but seems to work ok. What an awesome screen. Like the Dpad on the 600 though since it's larger. Hitting down on the Dpad is a little tougher as your thumb tends to feel weird hitting near the T and Y keys...

more later...

Scotty...do you have a BT headset to test volume...wondering if it's any better. Congrats on your new toy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmurph222
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I was wondering something about ATT and their unlimmited mMode ($24.99). Do they allow VNC over their network, or is it blocked? I have heard mumblings that they mights charge extra if you try using VNC.
    I have never really used VNC on a PDA or phone, but I would be interested in setting that up with the new Treo.

Paul

Yup, it works great. Using PALMVnc with ultravnc server.
    If you're on AT&T and are using the $24.99 mMode plan you WILL BE BILLED for VNC use by the KB. I'd check your bill online if I were you before doing too much VNC.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Yup, it works great. Using PALMVnc with ultravnc server.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Scotty...do you have a BT headset to test volume...wondering if it's any better. Congrats on your new toy!!
    Nope, no bluetooth anything at the moment...

Thanks!

Is it bad that I'm afraid to start loading stuff on my new phone?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."

48kbit/sec
    2.402 latency
    35.356 seconds d/l time

Speed results in my 600
    32kbit/sec
    1.979s latency
    51.368s d/l time

more later...
    Please do not try the new SIM. You are ahead. Stay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyof3
    There are lots of pictures on treonauts.com. Click on the "650 review" on the top left of the page.
    thanks
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    First Post!!!!!1

Ordered my 650 today from Cingular local store. They said it would be about a week. Charged me $20 a month for the unlimited data plan. They gave me a Motorola piece of junk phone to use in the meantime. No graphics at all on the web. No way I would pay for this. I trust my 650 will be MUCH better.

I'll let y'all know if/when it comes in. . .
    update.

Rep called this evening (20 minutes before store closing--25 minute drive ), and orange 650s are in, and my name's on one. Will pick it up tomorrow morning. Stoked! Had to let someone know....

Quote Originally Posted by reguy
    I just returned from visiting 2 of the main local Cingular stores. I'm currently Cingular Blue and not on a business account, and inquired based on migrating to Orange. The first Cingular store expects their 650s tomorrow. They were apparently able to order them last Friday. Unfortunately, the waiting list is probably such that I won't get one of them. So on the another store, where the manager told me he personally ordered several today. He looked up status in their "compass" system as I stood there, and he said the PO had been created, and he should receive them Thursday or Friday. I'm #3 on his waiting list for 5 units. (BTW, his "compass" system also showed 6 units in stock at another local store. When he called, he was told they had a long waiting list for them.)

Bottom line, Cingular outlets are getting them in now. And no apparent early release through the B2B channel. Might be of note that I am in *very* close proximity to SBC HQ, although I doubt that would have anything to do with Cingular availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    This is the info my rep gave me this morning as I have a few users with personal ATT accounts and they want the phone now. Here’s what he suggested.

If someone with a personal account would like the phone now, they just need to know someone that has a Biz account. Have them order a phone/line of service. Once the phone comes in, cancel the line and keep the phone. All you end up paying is the $$ of the phone.

thats what i was just advised i am back on the waiting list now i am depressed
    Last edited by Thunder God; 01/31/2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: new status
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    First Post!!!!!1

Ordered my 650 today from Cingular local store. They said it would be about a week. Charged me $20 a month for the unlimited data plan. They gave me a Motorola piece of junk phone to use in the meantime. No graphics at all on the web. No way I would pay for this. I trust my 650 will be MUCH better.

I'll let y'all know if/when it comes in. . .
    where are you located?
    Naveen

Next Phone:
    Quote Originally Posted by reguy
    update.

Rep called this evening (20 minutes before store closing--25 minute drive ), and orange 650s are in, and my name's on one. Will pick it up tomorrow morning. Stoked! Had to let someone know....
    Where is your store? All of my local stores are saying it's not out yet.
    Yeah, where is your store?

The rep I was supposed to get mine from only got 6 units instead of 22. And since I am not a business account, I got the shaft.

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    thats what i was just advised i am back on the waiting list now i am depressed
    This sucks...should I go back to the other thread where we're waiting for the 650? Apparently, there are a lot of people "with me".

So, with no business account holding friend, we're left high and dry?
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    Where is your store? All of my local stores are saying it's not out yet.
    San Antonio

48kbit/sec
    2.402 latency
    35.356 seconds d/l time

Speed results in my 600
    32kbit/sec
    1.979s latency
    51.368s d/l time

more later...
    What signal strength did you make those tests at? I for one do not expect there can be any speed difference between the SIM cards. I am hoping you were just at a weeker signal level when you ran the test. can you do it at full signal level and report back?
    Treo 650 GSM