Page 19 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    WirelessAndy while I've never heard of comfort noise myself, when I read helpermonkey's description of it, it made perfect sense to me. I guess it depends on how much noise and how quiet is quiet. I know I prefer a teeny, tiny amount of noise to know that my channel is still open. Absolute quiet (like the silence produced by noise cancelling software,) would throw me off. It would sound unnatural. I would find myself constantly say "are you still there." On the other hand if the noise during a silence is loud enough I can totally see it being annoying.

I'd also prefer a certain level of hiss or natural white noise to buggy noise cancelling software that breaks up calls - from all that I read the Sprint 650 sound problems were caused by just such a scenario which is why a ROM fix was possible.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by IT-Treo650
    I am on AT&T and they could tell which phone I had and which operating system. I would login to the web to pay my bill or check how much time I have used for minutes. I went from a t616 to an mpx200. The website showed that I was using a MPX200 with Smartphone 2003. That phone didn't come with Smartphone 2003. I flashed the phone with the new operating system. That is a good indication that they know which phone you are using and what version operating system it had.

I also have this, and guess what? They show the phone that I bought when I orginally opened the account.
    I was told by Palmone in Philadlephia that the Cingular branded 650's they get this week (supposedly) will be unlocked (can be used with my current TMobile sim card). Anyone hear the same?

Milo (or any lucky 650 GSM owners), are you able to determine whether your unit can be used with a different SIM?
    Do you have link to the rebate? It's not on Amazon's page for that card today.
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiefire
    Friday, I bought a Lexar 1g 32x from Amazon. There is a $15.00 rebate offer that requires that you buy it by, today.

With the rebate applied, the card is around $67.00.

Hope this helps.

sjh
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    I was told by Palmone in Philadlephia that the Cingular branded 650's they get this week (supposedly) will be unlocked (can be used with my current TMobile sim card). Anyone hear the same?

Milo (or any lucky 650 GSM owners), are you able to determine whether your unit can be used with a different SIM?
    Milo has posted (twice) in this thread that his phone is locked and will only work with his ATTW SIM. It's possible the Cingular one's will be unlocked (apparently they have been in the past,) but others have said Cingular plans on locking in the future (ie with the 650.) I would certianly want to confirm before buying. As of right now I think the only thing being shipped are the locked ATTW phones like Milo received.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52

I would love to know this. I would love to stick with at&t and just get unlimited mmode for 24.99. I don't want to deal with cingular issues with palm treo 650 users and making them buy into the 49.99 plan. Also is anyone sure that the phone for orange is coming out this week. I sold all my at&t phones for last Wed and it never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by WirelessAndy
    COMFORT NOISE?
    I've never hear of that before.....
    See: http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/...l/topic07.html

It is quite real.
    The rebate form is on Amazon -- but, now that I've read the small print, it appears that the cut off date was Jan 29.

I pulled my post. Old age and old eyes are fooling with me. I figured if the form was still there, the rebate was still valid. Sorry.
    ok, i bit and got on the phone today w/ Cingular business, trying to order a GSM 650... tried two different reps, both said no inventory yet and not sure when they would receive... where should i be calling to order one? anyone have a number for ATT directly..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Give us more reviews of the phone more pics... I'm dying over here...
    OK...

My background: I Have been a long time "Smart-phone" fan, all the way back to the Kyocera QCP 6035 , and I have always liked Palm over Pocket-PC. I have had both types of PDAs over the last 8 years. I consider myself a heavy PDA user.

Quick Review: The 650 is the best cell phone I have ever had AND the best PDA I have ever used. I say both separately because more than anything else I have used in the past, the 650 has the best of both worlds in a great package.

First Impressions: Unlike any new PDA I have had in the past, this one has caused me the least issues. Even with moving data around, installing old apps, trying new apps, and using the heck out of the 650 over 4+ days I have not ONCE had to reset the unit because of some kind of error or lockup. I did have the system restart when working with the Bluetooth hack, but nothing bad happened, the Treo just rebooted and all was well. I have been very surprised with the way I have been able to use this new toy so much and not have the normal issues you have when breaking things in.

The Good:
    Speed - This thing is fast, very responsive in general (see below)

Screen - Totally amazing. Blows away everyone I show it to.

Bluetooth - Best implementation I have used yet. Seting up Bluetooth sync was very easy (unlike Pocket-PC, what a pain in the A*@). Hands free is also great. I have never liked the fact that when you have your BT headset on, and answer the phone on the phone, the headset is active. Why not have a setting to say "If I answer the call on the phone, make the phone active. If I answer the phone on the headset, make the headset active"??? Am I asking too much? Well, the Treo treats me right here, because when I answer the call on the phone with the headset on (and usually in my pocket, not on my head), I have a button to disable the headset on the screen. I can easily turn the headset back on when I get it out my my pocket. Nice touch and a easy way to manage your headset. I do have the DUN hack, but have not got to do full 100% test it.

Voice Quality - Very good. The wife said I sound great on the GSM 650, that all that counts in my book.

RF - I am getting good signal strength in places my Audiovox 5600 did not. I think the RF in the GSM 650 is working well.

Keyboard - I am getting used to it quickly. I can't tell you how many times you will grab the top of the phone if you had a 600 before. I am still doing it. I think in a week I will be moving around on the 650 quicker than I ever did on the 600.

Data Speed - I am impressed with the download speed in blazer. The best test we did was a Fark photoshop thread. We download a page up to 3megs in less than 60seconds. Blazer stooped at 2.99Megs saying the page was too big, but when it stopped, we had a lot of pictures we could look and and the page rendered OK. I know I am downloading stuff faster via EDGE than I did on Sprint.

The (not so) Bad:
    Battery Life - I don't think I am getting as good battery life on the GSM 650 as I was on the Sprint 600. I don't use a LOT of voice, but do use the PDA a lot. I think over the last 4 days I have had to charge it 3 times. I am getting about 1 1/2 days of use. I do use verichat (in SMS mode when not in verichat), have verismail get my gmail every hour during the day, and have been using the net a lot. I will have a better idea of battery life when I have a normal work week this week.

Speed (Part Duex) - While the 650 is fast, there is this weird 1/2sec delay when I hit the power to unlock/lock it. It did this before I ever installed an app. Sometimes I also can not turn the Treo on with the red power button, I have to hit the green phone button. Also, moving in and out of the date-book takes about a sec. This is not a deal breaker, but on the Sprint 600, I had no delay doing the same things.

I will take request for pictures/screen shots. I think most of us have seen tons of GSM 650 pics over the last month. Not sure if I have anything new to contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    I also have this, and guess what? They show the phone that I bought when I orginally opened the account.
    How about in mmode. On the top right hand corner did it show your old phone. Cause it changes for me depending on what phone I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    ok, i bit and got on the phone today w/ Cingular business, trying to order a GSM 650... tried two different reps, both said no inventory yet and not sure when they would receive... where should i be calling to order one? anyone have a number for ATT directly..?
    Well, even if one cannot order one, I am glad that there are a few out there. Now if we could just get the owners to stop gloating and start reporting, we could use the information to decide what to do when we can order.
  13.    #373  
    They (orange or blue) won't let me by the phone out right for $549.00 w/o contract and new line of service.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    I was thinking more of something like the Motorola V551 (Quad band, BT, EDGE) that you can get for $-25.01 AR on Amazon for ex. (or Nokia 6230 for free AR - unlockable in seconds )
    Do you happen to know whether you can port a number from another carrier when ordering from Amazon? It's not obvious during the online ordering process, if it's there at all. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by IT-Treo650
    How about in mmode. On the top right hand corner did it show your old phone. Cause it changes for me depending on what phone I have.
    Same, here is a current pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Milo Bloom Thanks for a great report.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    That is the craziest thing I ever heard. Honestly, I think having noise/no noise is a personal preference.

Oh well. I guess I'm in the minority.

I read somewhere that the "P" button feels mooshy? Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Do you know if the memory limitations that were reported regarding the Sprint Treo 650 have been fixed? I believe the issue was that file system did not allow data to be saved in less than 512 blockes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reguy
    Do you happen to know whether you can port a number from another carrier when ordering from Amazon? It's not obvious during the online ordering process, if it's there at all. Thanks.
    Yes you can do it.. I did it when porting was first available.. You order your phone and it comes activated with a new number. You call the carrier of the new phone and tell them you bought a phone on amazon and want to port. They will walk you through the process.. You should also get instructions explaining this in the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    OK...

RF - I am getting good signal strength in places my Audiovox 5600 did not. I think the RF in the GSM 650 is working well.

I noticed this too. I am getting way better signal coverage with the 650.