Page 18 of 63 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 1254
  1. #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i know on the old tdma network they definelty could. i believe they could know now if they sold you the phone. if you buy an unlocked phone from somewhere, i believe they can not tell.
    I am on AT&T and they could tell which phone I had and which operating system. I would login to the web to pay my bill or check how much time I have used for minutes. I went from a t616 to an mpx200. The website showed that I was using a MPX200 with Smartphone 2003. That phone didn't come with Smartphone 2003. I flashed the phone with the new operating system. That is a good indication that they know which phone you are using and what version operating system it had.
  2. gbobman's Avatar
    Posts
    169 Posts
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoEntertainer
    Oops, I should have read on. Bcaslis seems to have a valid point. I know that in our digital cameras the faster cards make a great difference. But only if the camera itself can address the faster card. Basically it is like a system bus speed. Anyhow, I'll look for the best $ to speed ratio and I'm willing to pay a bit more since the Treo memory might be a bit limiting. Bcaslis what speed is your Ultra II? I see the Ultra III is just hitting the street. Its much faster and will be available up to 8GB on a SD.
    It all depends on the applications and the access. Most programs I've used don't scan the entire directory every time it accesses, so I don't have those issues.

    In my case, my system has 128MB of internal memory, of which it is dynamically allocated to a FAT format or normal Palm format (not NVFS). I have barely touched the surface of using it, although I do have a few 5 - 10+ MB programs for the Zodiac.

    I won't be using the 650 to do any of the multimedia abilities of the handheld, just the occasional picture/video and phone/data. All of my entertainment will be on the bigger, more capable handheld. The 650 isn't using much bandwidth to take pics or vids when sending to the card, whether by design or by limitation, because the pics/vids aren't very large. I don't forsee any issues, especially with my many years of experiance with the Palm architecture. My major concern is for the transparency of communication betwixt phone and handheld, and should be no matter for sister systems.

    YMMV http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/cool.gif
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

    I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

    - (Sigh)... It died.
  3. #343  
    Well after receiving mine, i got DUN to work! thanks shadowmite!! But I installed the generic phone splash screen, ever since my phone dialer seem to act slow. I dont know why...--anyone have this same issue?

    Otherwise the phone is great...

    I got an unmarked (blue) attws treo 650
  4.    #344  
    Good information! I was left with the impression from some of our posters that they could not tell. On the other hand, it must be pretty "dicey" for carriers to attempt to administer different plans for different phones and PDAs. The lines are blurring which each generation. Some phones are becoming more like PDAs and some PDAs are becoming more like phones. It's a judgement call.
    Quote Originally Posted by IT-Treo650
    I am on AT&T and they could tell which phone I had and which operating system. I would login to the web to pay my bill or check how much time I have used for minutes. I went from a t616 to an mpx200. The website showed that I was using a MPX200 with Smartphone 2003. That phone didn't come with Smartphone 2003. I flashed the phone with the new operating system. That is a good indication that they know which phone you are using and what version operating system it had.
  5. #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Hey Milo and anyone else who has a TREO 650 GSM in hand already..... How is the sound???? Forgive me if this has already been answered.....
    I have never had any real complaints about the sound quality on the 650 GSM and I have had mine much longer than most I would assume.
    Treo 650 GSM
  6.    #346  
    Did anyone who bought Cingular Blue ATT Treo 650 test out inserting a 64k Cingular Orange sim card?
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by WirelessAndy
    How about background noise hissing? Say, if you called your voicemail and waited for the "voicemail lady" to stop talking ("Please enter your password and press #...")

    Do you hear hissing like an old cassette? Or total silence?

    You should not hear total silence on GSM and it is supposed to be that way too. I think they call it comfort noise (or something like that anyway). It is quiet white noise to let you know that the call is still up (you haven't dropped) but that no one is talking etc. Also with discontiguous transmission (DTX) on, the system is only transmitting when someone is talking, so the noise is there to keep you from thinking the call has ended.
    Treo 650 GSM
  8.    #348  
    khart,

    Here is the answer to the question you asked in another thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...Low#post538701
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    you may need to get a new sim because of a memory or usage issue with the 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    supoosedly the newer sim cards have more memory for phone numbers or something

    You do not need to have a 64K SIM for the 650 do to any memory issues. The 64K SIM has more memory yes, and more room for numbers I believe, but it needs more room for applications on the CIngular side to control the phone. That is what I think it is needed most for. Anyone other than me running their 650 on an old SIM?
    Treo 650 GSM
  10. #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoEntertainer
    Thanks gbobman. I will go call around to get a 1 gig asap. Not that I need that much, but you never know. BTW, do you run any programs from your SD or do you just use it for data/music/photos?
    I use mine to navigate with Mapopolis. Finding a route that spans maps may take tens of minutes. It is hard to believe that the speed of the card is not important, at least in this application.
  11. #351  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Did anyone who bought Cingular Blue ATT Treo 650 test out inserting a 64k Cingular Orange sim card?
    I believe the Cingular card I put in my Blue 650 was one of the new 64K cards. At least it is a new card my friend got in the last couple of months. The cingular card did NOT work.
  12. #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    I believe the Cingular card I put in my Blue 650 was one of the new 64K cards. At least it is a new card my friend got in the last couple of months. The cingular card did NOT work.
    Give us more reviews of the phone more pics... I'm dying over here... I was supposed to have one Friday until I found out it was Blue and can't use it I need Orange... Maybe tomorrow...
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Good information! I was left with the impression from some of our posters that they could not tell. On the other hand, it must be pretty "dicey" for carriers to attempt to administer different plans for different phones and PDAs. The lines are blurring which each generation. Some phones are becoming more like PDAs and some PDAs are becoming more like phones. It's a judgement call.
    This also stinks. I hope cingular doesn't catch on that I'm going to use my current media works on my 650 when I get it. I can't pay $40 a month.
  14. #354  
    Sorry for the noob question, but do *all* GSM phones (I'm actually interested in Cingular orange, here) have SIMs? Is that part of the GSM standard? I couldn't seem to get a quality search for the info--got a zillion hits or none. Thanks.
  15. #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    Give us more reviews of the phone more pics... I'm dying over here... I was supposed to have one Friday until I found out it was Blue and can't use it I need Orange... Maybe tomorrow...
    There are lots of pictures on treonauts.com. Click on the "650 review" on the top left of the page.
  16. #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by reguy
    Sorry for the noob question, but do *all* GSM phones (I'm actually interested in Cingular orange, here) have SIMs? Is that part of the GSM standard? I couldn't seem to get a quality search for the info--got a zillion hits or none. Thanks.
    Yes, the use of SIM is feature of GSM. It's one of the advantages in that you can switch phones easily (like if you're going dancing and want a phone but not something big like a treo,) and assuming you're phone is unlocked you can use a local SIM when traveling to avoid expensive roaming charges.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  17. #357  
    thanks, Boobookins
  18. #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    You should not hear total silence on GSM and it is supposed to be that way too. I think they call it comfort noise (or something like that anyway). It is quiet white noise to let you know that the call is still up (you haven't dropped) but that no one is talking etc. Also with discontiguous transmission (DTX) on, the system is only transmitting when someone is talking, so the noise is there to keep you from thinking the call has ended.
    COMFORT NOISE?
    I've never hear of that before. I can almost picture some executive at Nokia/Siemens/Samsung/etc etc demo'ing a phone and asking some engineer, "Why is there so much hissing in the background?" "Oh," replies the engineer, "That's just so you know the call is still active!"

    If that's the reason, then someone bring me the head of that engineer on a platter made up of all the crushed-up bits of cell phones I've had in the past that I've had to give up because of noise!

    I've had many a phone, and not all of them feature this comfort noise. I honestly can't imagine it's there on some phones as a feature.

    Disclaimer: I think I am slightly obsessive about noise, so my tolerance for this sort of thing on a phone is really quite unreasonable.

    The only reason I'm still using my Motorola V60gi is because of it's nearly nonexistent noise level (that hissing sound) in the earpiece. The V551 wasn't bad, either. Even the non-GSM Nextel i530 wasn't too shabby.

    I've had less luck with non-Motorola phones, unfortunately. Off the top of my head, the Samsung SGH-X427 had quite a bit of hissing and garbling in the background. SE T637, Blackberry 6230 and the Nokia 6230b both featured very faint periodic garble. Siemens S66 was hissy. Of course, all my old Nokias (8290, 8890, 6590i, 6100, 3100) buzzed like MAD when the phone was transmitting (*buzzzzzz*). Oddly enough, I don't remember this being an issue with the Nokia 6310i.

    I'm so picky about noise, I've NOT kept phones I've had high hopes on due to it.

    Anyway, I'm not knocking what you believe ("Comfort Noise"). Hey, who knows, it might be true. Since my experience on Cingular GSM has been so varied when it comes to noise, it leads me to the conclusion that different phones suppress noise better than others. See my Nit Picking rants here (link).

    Actually, maybe I should thank you. I never ever once in my crazy, tiny mind thought of the Comfort Noise concept. If I could buy in on that, I'd have a whole lot less to write/rant about! Just ask anyone over at the HowardForums.

    <back on topic>
    Sorry. I had to let that out. I just hope the Treo 650 does well in the noise area. Otherwise, I'll definitely pass.
    Last edited by WirelessAndy; 01/31/2005 at 10:30 AM. Reason: (spelling)
  19.    #359  
    Thanks... Much thanks.... Now I can move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    I believe the Cingular card I put in my Blue 650 was one of the new 64K cards. At least it is a new card my friend got in the last couple of months. The cingular card did NOT work.
  20. #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Thanks... Much thanks....
    So did you get yours ordered? and was it Cingular orange?

Posting Permissions