Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 1254
  1. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #241  
    However, I was thinking about the implications of unlocking the GSM Treo 650 and how U.S. GSMers might be able to be a conduit for making phones available to our European and Canadian friends. I don't know if this is an EBAY solution, of course, no profit would be involved.

    Or perhaps there is a person abroad who needs who wants one phone and is willing to construct a solutions that is satifactory and safe for them.

    Or perhaps, there is an extremely benevolent who would show courtesies to a TC member state side to get a phone to Europe. I don't know the answer. I am just thinking about our friends in the world community.
    As a UK reader who is keen to get his hands on one, I was wondering that same thing. But how would that work? I'm sure unlocking isn't a problem, all other phones can be, but can't the 650 only be purchased with a 12-month contract at the moment?
  2. #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    1)...Sony Ericsson T637 (bluetooth, camera) ... It's unlockable & upgradeable & unbrandable with a $15 USB dongle.
    Thanks MisterEd...I'll have to check that one out...headed to the Cingular store as soon as I can pry myself away from here...!
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by lincman
    I'm in the Los Angeles area. Is there anybody from around here who can tell me where they got theirs? I'd love to know.
    will PM you today, with rep in OC maybe he can direct you.
  4. #244  
    Stores don't have those prices, only online.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Thanks MisterEd...I'll have to check that one out...headed to the Cingular store as soon as I can pry myself away from here...!
  5. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #245  
    Just emailed my business rep. I'm calling 611 right now, though!
    Vince
  6. #246  
    I will have mine tuesday from Cingular Orange. Got an email from a Corporate Sales guy. Although, Feb 1st is the last day he can sell to non business accounts. It is coming from St. Louis, Mo.

    L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
  7.    #247  
    Of course, you would have to purchase it w/o a plan. This would mean paying the full price. Be creative, I am sure we can think of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    As a UK reader who is keen to get his hands on one, I was wondering that same thing. But how would that work? I'm sure unlocking isn't a problem, all other phones can be, but can't the 650 only be purchased with a 12-month contract at the moment?
  8. vinman's Avatar
    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    #248  
    Talked to three reps (two telesales and one corporate) and none would acknowlege the phone was available - in fact said they weren't in the system yet and didn't know when. I guess I'll wait to hear back from my "real" business rep on Monday. I can't believe in today's market with EVERYTHING in inventory computerized and digitized reps are STILL so inconsistently informed! It seems incomprehensible. What good is a point of sale inventory system if your inventory list isn't readily visible? No one had any response when told I knew of people already using this device. Oh well, we'll see what Monday brings...
    Vince
    sorry, stepped off my soapbox now.
  9. #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Talked to three reps (two telesales and one corporate) and none would acknowlege the phone was available - in fact said they weren't in the system yet and didn't know when. I guess I'll wait to hear back from my "real" business rep on Monday. I can't believe in today's market with EVERYTHING in inventory computerized and digitized reps are STILL so inconsistently informed! It seems incomprehensible. What good is a point of sale inventory system if your inventory list isn't readily visible? No one had any response when told I knew of people already using this device. Oh well, we'll see what Monday brings...
    Vince
    sorry, stepped off my soapbox now.
    And what good is a great inventory system when only 10% of the people would be able to use it anyways.

    Grrr.

    L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
  10. #250  
    I ordered yesterday from Blue, and the girl offered me 2 discounts off the $449 list price: $50 off for voice plan >$40/month + $50 off for unlimited $49 data plan... I took the bait to get the phone down to $349. I hope that I might be able to get rid of the $49 data plan soon, and "down-grade" to a different less expensive data plan in the future.

    Does this price seem in line with what others are paying?
  11.    #251  
    jmacon,

    Give us the "the girls" phone number. If so, great first post. If your are offended.... Hmmm! We had some trolls come through here of recent looking for affirmation. Sometimes they post claims without proof looking to get approval from the group which could potentially lead to the acceptance they long for. The following is my understanding of trolls.

    They seek Affirmation.

    Regular net users know how delightful it is when somebody responds to something they have written. It is a meeting of the minds, which is an intellectual thrill, but it is also an acknowledgement of one's value and that can be a very satisfying emotional reward.

    Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

    If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can shed some additional light on the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacon
    I ordered yesterday from Blue, and the girl offered me 2 discounts off the $449 list price: $50 off for voice plan >$40/month + $50 off for unlimited $49 data plan... I took the bait to get the phone down to $349. I hope that I might be able to get rid of the $49 data plan soon, and "down-grade" to a different less expensive data plan in the future.

    Does this price seem in line with what others are paying?
  12. #252  
    ^ woah
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
  13. #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacon
    I ordered yesterday from Blue, and the girl offered me 2 discounts off the $449 list price: $50 off for voice plan >$40/month + $50 off for unlimited $49 data plan... I took the bait to get the phone down to $349. I hope that I might be able to get rid of the $49 data plan soon, and "down-grade" to a different less expensive data plan in the future.

    Does this price seem in line with what others are paying?
    If that rebate is the same as Orange you have to have the service 10 - 12 weeks before you get that check, that negates any saving you many have realized in 1 month.
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    This sounds like a great plan. -
    1)Anyone have any suggestions on which Cingular phone would be a good choice? I'd want a free or cheap one that might be a good backup phone for times that I didn't want to risk carrying the Treo.
    2)Can anyone say for sure when the unlocked/unbranded ones will be available from P1 (or elsewhere)...because the other part of the plan would be to be able to switch the SIM from the free/cheap phone into the Treo WITHIN THE 30 DAY TRIAL ...then, if I'm happy, stay with Cingular and the $20 medai works paln...or, if I'm not, pop in my Tmo SIM and return the Cingular phone/cancel the plan within 30 days.
    3)The advantage of this to me is getting to try the Cingular/ATT 850 band in my area (Metro Detroit) and see if I get any better coverage than with TMo which is only 1900...if I understand this right???
    4)The further advantage is if the free phone has no camera...I'm a designer, so sometimes I'm in areas that do not allow cameras.

    Would love to hear everyones input on this.
    I was thinking more of something like the Motorola V551 (Quad band, BT, EDGE) that you can get for $-25.01 AR on Amazon for ex. (or Nokia 6230 for free AR - unlockable in seconds )

    May not be good for 4) tough.

    Let us know what you picked !
    Last edited by brightcell; 01/29/2005 at 03:12 PM.
  15. #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    jmacon,

    Give us the "the girls" phone number. If so, great first post. If your are offended.... Hmmm! We had some trolls come through here of recent looking for affirmation. Sometimes they post claims without proof looking to get approval from the group which could potentially lead to the acceptance they long for. The following is my understanding of trolls.

    They seek Affirmation.

    Regular net users know how delightful it is when somebody responds to something they have written. It is a meeting of the minds, which is an intellectual thrill, but it is also an acknowledgement of one's value and that can be a very satisfying emotional reward.

    Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

    If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can shed some additional light on the matter.
    No trollin here! I called 1-800-388-3235 and gave my company's FAN number to the girl who answered... Honestly, I don't have her name, and she didn't sound that bright. I've got my confirmation order number. And frankly, I posted to see if this sounded too good to be true. I'll go ballistic on Blue if they don't honor this. I thought that maybe others could ask for it too...

    And yes, you would loose your savings rather quickly, but for those of us on expense accounts, I have to pay for hardware, not monthly fees, so it's my cash.

    Good luck everyone.
    jmw
  16. #256  
    One quick follow-up... I also saw that online (at least for my business account specific site) a $50 rebate on hardware for the >$39 voice-plan, but not for the data... So I was expecting some discount, not just $100.

    jmw
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Talked to three reps (two telesales and one corporate) and none would acknowlege the phone was available - in fact said they weren't in the system yet and didn't know when. I guess I'll wait to hear back from my "real" business rep on Monday. I can't believe in today's market with EVERYTHING in inventory computerized and digitized reps are STILL so inconsistently informed! It seems incomprehensible. What good is a point of sale inventory system if your inventory list isn't readily visible? No one had any response when told I knew of people already using this device. Oh well, we'll see what Monday brings...
    Vince
    sorry, stepped off my soapbox now.
    maybe they are told not to know about it?

    Question-for the people who have purchased the phone, has everyone been required or asked to get a data plan? I was playing around on the Cingular web site and did a purchase of a 600 and the computer never made it necessary to buy a data plan, it did give me the option, but did not make it a requiremnet. I went all the way to adding your credit card.
    Naveen

    Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

    Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    maybe they are told not to know about it?

    Question-for the people who have purchased the phone, has everyone been required or asked to get a data plan? I was playing around on the Cingular web site and did a purchase of a 600 and the computer never made it necessary to buy a data plan, it did give me the option, but did not make it a requiremnet. I went all the way to adding your credit card.
    When I ordered mine, I had a long discussion about the $50 rebate and how the phone really needs a data plan to be used fully. But I just said no and he was alright with that. My phone is "semi-ordered" though. He is getting it on Monday, and then finalizing my order and shipping it over night.

    I'll post more specifics Monday.

    L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
  19. #259  
    I don't think they can, legally, force you to sign up for a data plan. I've had several data capable phones on Cingular and Verizon with no data plans.
  20. #260  
    I needed the data plan, so I didn't try the route of getting out of one.

Posting Permissions