Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
  1.    #201  
    Outstanding! I just can't say enough about Shadowmite. I know it's really selfish to want to keep him here at TC, but it really great feeling to have him making a great product perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    shadowmite - it looks like your Dialer Patches work on the GSM 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html

Can someone let me know if the new GSM splash screen there works properly and gives you all the menus? Hmm, I might have to play with it... compare before and after and let me know...

They work great. Also the overlay works as well :-)
    You'll be paying the $20.00 extra before the month is out in overages. 10mb is nothing if you do any sort of regular email or web. If you check email once a day and rarely ever surf it might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    cglaguna,

Call Lorraine 800-342-3212 x6723. She called me today from Cingular Orange and offerred me a 10MB/29.99 data plan. Otherwise, unlimited was 49.99. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Once ENS is available will it not look for a tower that isn't as busy (to reduce network loading) as well as one that is stronger (if neither are busy). At any one time BOTH might not be possible, but in an ideal condition wouldn't that be how it works? Everything I have read had said that. Maybe I misunderstood. What else would "ENS will reduce network loading" mean other then looking for a tower that isn't "overloaded" (busy). OK .. maybe the PHONE wouldn't look for the less busy tower, maybe the TOWER would lock out the phone if it was busy. I'll go along with that.
    Are you saying ENS is not available now? I thought it was. Either way, that does not change what we are trying to figure out here.

It seems everyone thinks ENS is to modify network loading in real time. There is no real point in that as far as I am concerned. I don't think it can be done anyway, nor should you want to (you didn't have it in analog, you didn't have it on TDMA and you shouldn't need it on GSM either). Also when I say network loading I mean between the orange and blue networks, not between sites on a single network. The single network issue is something that needs to be delt with through properly adding hardware and transport to your network (like radios and T1's). My understanding is ENS is to help out with loading traffic between the orange and blue networks until they can be combined over the next year or year and a half. Currently, as many hear are aware, both Blue and Orange sides of the network are adding customers to their networks. Also as others on these forums have stated, you can have an Orange 64K SIM but still be on the Blue network as the prefered network. The reason for thisis Cingular has doubled it's sales force, increasing sales dramaticly, and the Orange networks could not hope to keep up with that many new customer adds - also why waste the investment they made in the hardware they purchased when they bought ATTWS? So they load some percentage of all new adds onto the Orange network and the other remaining percentage of new adds to the Blue network (I thought it was at activation, I have also heard people say it is all orange at activation and the network preference settings are later changed at night via an over the air signal). As the Orange network (or Blue for that matter, which ever wil remain in the end) increases it's capacity more traffic will be loaded to that network until at some point all traffic will be added to that network. I suppose there could be cases when there is a need to shift customer's network preferences around, but I should think it would not be very often. I am thinking in a case like something big is happening like the network hardware is unable to keep up with demand, and customers need to be moved to the lesser loaded network to reduce the problem. The networks are made and designed to handle huge volumes of traffic, as such I can see no reason to be shifting people around dynamicly.

Hopefully I have not missed to much in my attempt to explain my take on ENS. Let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    what else came in the box? also, is the sofware a attws version or cingular version? more pictures please

The only thing I see different is that I didn't get a earphone adapter like I thought I did with the Sprint Treo 650. Here is a pic of what came with it and a shout out to shadowmite :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I just spoke with an ATTWS rep and she quoted me $249 for a 650 since I am a current customer and they are closing them out. Did she make a mistake??? Is there some disadvantage to buying an ATT 650, like maybe it won't work with EDGE or something? She did say something about the sim for att being a 32k vs a 64k for cingular but I don't know if that is really important. She said I could keep my old att plan too. The new Cingular plan that is comparable to my att plan has less minutes. I mean it would be really nice to just remove the sim out of my current Tungsten W and move right into a 650 but I am a tad leary. All very odd. Can anybody shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.
    A now very confused LINCMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by lincman
    I just spoke with an ATTWS rep and she quoted me $249 for a 650 since I am a current customer and they are closing them out. Did she make a mistake??? Is there some disadvantage to buying an ATT 650, like maybe it won't work with EDGE or something? She did say something about the sim for att being a 32k vs a 64k for cingular but I don't know if that is really important. She said I could keep my old att plan too. The new Cingular plan that is comparable to my att plan has less minutes. I mean it would be really nice to just remove the sim out of my current Tungsten W and move right into a 650 but I am a tad leary. All very odd. Can anybody shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.
    A now very confused LINCMAN

She told you about the 600 :-)
    That's what I thought, BUT I asked 3 times and she said 650. Is it possible that they have some stash that they want to get rid of?
    yes she was wrong...
    Rats, because that means I am going to have to convert to Cingular to get the 650 so she said and then I am going to get stuck with calling plan that has less min. than I have now. Unless there are going to be ATT versions that are released next week too. Which I assume is blue vs orange.
    Blue is out now... people already have them. Of course maybe not in your exact area, but Blue has them now.
    I don't believe that. Your rep is probably confused. AT&T is trying to unload the T600. In fact, you can get one for $149 after rebates through some online dealers.
    I'm in the Los Angeles area. Is there anybody from around here who can tell me where they got theirs? I'd love to know.
    Is it possible the Cingular GSM could come out programmed to not allow data service on the Media program? Or not allow data service on a non-Cingular T650? Is this even doable? I'm planning to migrate my (TDMA) ATT service to Cingular and go with a cheap GSM with unlimited Media Net service...on my way to a Cingular or P1 T650, and I'm curious whether I can count on data service on the T650 with a swap of the SIM.
    do you think they will go throught all that trouble? I am just going to oderr my t650 and say that I don't need a new data plan, period. I will then see how mediaworks the 19.99 one works and I get unlimited internet with edge.
    soccrnj80,

If they really feel they need to get $50/mo for unlimited service for the T650 when it can be readily had for $20, then I'd say yeah, they'd probably go to the trouble if its feasible. But as you can probably tell from my post above, I don't know enough about the technology to know if its feasible. Maybe a SIM associated with the Mediaworks plan is just that, no matter what phone it's in, and that can't be changed?
    soccrnj80,

The other aspect of this is that if they figure a way to make it $50 for the Cingular, I'll stay with ATT and try to work out an unlimited mMode plan through my company account since it appears that will work with the blue 650.
    you can get a cheap at&T phone and add the serivce and pop in the sim into your 650, they won't know which phone your using, just tell them it's an inexpesive phone you just got and want to add it, then pop it in your 650
    I am using the SIM from my v600 with unlimited mMode ($25). Works great so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    cglaguna,

Call Lorraine 800-342-3212 x6723. She called me today from Cingular Orange and offerred me a 10MB/29.99 data plan. Otherwise, unlimited was 49.99. What do you think?
    Well l will look at my usage which i consider moderate......... Well That would not work for me. I just looked and I am between 8 and 17 a month. I have two email accounts and browse regularly and im medium..

I am going to stick orange and use MEdia works as long as I can, I am not going to go Blue.

soccrnj80,

The other aspect of this is that if they figure a way to make it $50 for the Cingular, I'll stay with ATT and try to work out an unlimited mMode plan through my company account since it appears that will work with the blue 650.
    Well Blue quoted me the same $50 less my gov't discount. Thats why i am going to stick with Orange and existing MEdia Works and VC Phone.