Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Between the onscreen button delays, the bluetooth headset delays and some of the annoying little program "features", I have about crashed my car while trying to take a call or make a call several times now. I never had a problem with the 600 but the 650 is going to get me killed.

1. They have got to fix the delay...at least in the phone apps.

2. One of the most annoying "features" is when I try to use the call log to call someone who I just lost or needed to call back. When you open the call log it defaults to the cancel button. Even though the name/number you may want to call back is highlighted (in light blue), pressing the center button cancels instead of dials. I have to re-open the call log and press left a hundred times and then go up and down to the number and then press center. How about defaulting to the list!!!!

So if you don't hear from me for a while check for "Man killed in car while struggling to dial $600 phone!" in the paper.

I'll learn to love this phone one day or die trying!!!!

Steve
    LOL. First of all, you should not be trying to dial while driving. Second, use voice command and a bluetooth headset to call out. BT performance is another issue, but it does work.

Man should not be killed by his Treo
    Quote Originally Posted by treoriffic
    2. One of the most annoying "features" is when I try to use the call log to call someone who I just lost or needed to call back. When you open the call log it defaults to the cancel button. Even though the name/number you may want to call back is highlighted (in light blue), pressing the center button cancels instead of dials. I have to re-open the call log and press left a hundred times and then go up and down to the number and then press center. How about defaulting to the list!!!!
    Ha! I've done this a thousand times as well. The Ol' Call Log Two Step.

Actually, just hit the up directional, rather than left. It'll take you to the top of the list.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You are putting more than yourself at risk. In addition to the voice dialers, maybe CallFilter will help manage sending your less important calls to VoiceMail. You might also want to look at mVoice for dictating notes after the calls finish.

good luck (to the other people on the road),
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Between the onscreen button delays, the bluetooth headset delays and some of the annoying little program "features", I have about crashed my car while trying to take a call or make a call several times now. I never had a problem with the 600 but the 650 is going to get me killed.

So if you don't hear from me for a while check for "Man killed in car while struggling to dial $600 phone!" in the paper.

Steve

I am surprised that none of the other users identify themselves in your situation. I myself get real big stares from my wife when she sees me fuddle around with my t650 while I drive. What really annoys me with the are exactly the same points that Steve mentioned. Someone high up in the ladder has got to step up to the plate and seriously address these issues with PalmOne if they dont want legal hassles from t650 users who end up in carwreck..
    Quote Originally Posted by treolexus
    Someone high up in the ladder has got to step up to the plate and seriously address these issues with PalmOne if they dont want legal hassles from t650 users who end up in carwreck..
    You registered to post this? Maybe we should sue McDonalds too because we had trouble handling our BigMac while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by treolexus
    Someone high up in the ladder has got to step up to the plate and seriously address these issues with PalmOne if they dont want legal hassles from t650 users who end up in carwreck..
    I'll step up for Pa1mOne and the rest of the world: Take responsibility for your actions. It's probably not someone elses fault, even if society tells you it is. If you have a wreck while using a Treo, it's probably your fault...not Pa1mone's. If you eat yourself to obesity on McDonalds, it's probably your fault.
    The delay is about the one and ONLY thing that I have a problem with on the 650... But as for the Call log, once I see the number highlighted I just hit the green phone key and it will dial. The call and end buttons are my favorite new feature, makes things simple...

Just like on my other cell phones... One directional pad in the middle to scroll , one button to dial and another to end. Simple.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    The delay is about the one and ONLY thing that I have a problem with on the 650... But as for the Call log, once I see the number highlighted I just hit the green phone key and it will dial. The call and end buttons are my favorite new feature, makes things simple...

Just like on my other cell phones... One directional pad in the middle to scroll , one button to dial and another to end. Simple.

Well, I can see you're not even trying to be unreasonable!
    According to some people on this site, you must be imagining these problems..... You must need to try Silverado's "PowerUser" techniques....

Steve
    I don't know what you mean about bluetooth being slow. My bluetooth headset connects on the first ring when dialing out.1 second. 3 secs tops, and that's extremely rare.
  12.    #12  
    Just a couple of quick responses:

1. Note that I never mentioned suing anyone... just that I would be dead and well that is a bummer!

2. My key point was that I did not have any problem using the 600 nor have I ever had an accident while using any phone I have owned in the last 10+ years. Still I recognize that the 650 keeps my eyes off the road longer because I am always double checking all my button presses. It used to be that when you _glanced_ at the phone you could find the button, press the button, and see the phone respond all in one glance. Not anymore!

3. Techprincesse - you are right about the green phone button but as a 600 user it is taking me some time to get used to it. Plus it is not quite the same info as the log.

4. crazy_vag - Sometimes the bluetooth connection to my headset takes seconds. Sometimes it takes longer. Thats kind of the problem. Usually on the longer connections I have the phone away from my ear (trying to keep my eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel) and I don't see that the little headset icon is not there. So my callers are yapping "Hello" in the phone and I can't hear a thing through the headset. Needless to say it has resulted in several upset callers.

So no lawsuit pending... just wanted to vent and maybe P1 will read this and say, "Damn we don't want him to die...lets try to fix some of these things".

:-)
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    I don't know what you mean about bluetooth being slow. My bluetooth headset connects on the first ring when dialing out.1 second. 3 secs tops, and that's extremely rare.
    Same here, no problem with BT and my HBH-660 headset at all. What headset are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I'll step up for Pa1mOne and the rest of the world: Take responsibility for your actions. It's probably not someone elses fault, even if society tells you it is. If you have a wreck while using a Treo, it's probably your fault...not Pa1mone's. If you eat yourself to obesity on McDonalds, it's probably your fault.
    If you use your $600.00 t650 enough at least more than you spend time here reading other users woes, then you would understand the relevance of these concerns. The t650 keeps our eyes off the road longer than any other phone because of its slow response rate and that is a critical issue Palmone needs to address.
    Carwrecks and obesity? Nice sense of analogy you got going there..
    We're not talking about carwrecks as a result of playing with mapopolis on the t650. This thread is an issue of 'slow response rate' while trying to make a call on the t650, probably stemming from incomplete programming. This is analogous not to obesity but to one where you end up with paralysis from botulism off a burger you had at McDonalds. Like I said, you need to identify yourself with the problem. Take the t650, go for a drive and make some calls off your phonebook or your call log. You'll see what we're talking about.
    Treolexus, you seem to miss the point COMPLETELY, don't use your phone while driving...PERIOD. If you do, YOU have made an active decision to do so and if you cause a wreck, it's YOUR fault. It's not Pa1mone's fault that you decided to take your eyes off the road to play with your phone while driving down the road at 70mph.

I wasn't making an analogy, I'm stating that folks need to take responsibility for their actions. If you wreck while using the phone, it's not anyones fault but your own. You should know better than to be dinking with your phone while driving. If you must play with your phone while driving, at least consider the consequences you might bring about.

And I have used my Treo in the car, until my wife pointed out how much time I was spending looking at it and not at the road. When she pointed that out, I realized that I was putting her, myself and others at risk by playing with my gadget.
    I love the way people ignore the main point of the original post and rant about the fact this person was driving and using the phone.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Well, I think we picked on Treoriffice enough. If you take out the headline "MAN KILLED BY HIS TREO" then his concerns about how the phone behaves are valid.

1. Delay in connecting when dialing from memory can be annoying and should be fixed. It probably won't be an issue if the display refreshed and said "connecting."

2. If they give you and option to call a number while viewing in the call log, it should work on the first attempt in the method prescribed. Having non responsive buttons on the display is annoying

These are not new features. They existed in other less expensive phones and worked just fine. It's not too much to expect the $600 Treo to do better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    I love the way people ignore the main point of the original post and rant about the fact this person was driving and using the phone.
    While I get the point of your post... please understand the point of those that replied regarding using the phone while driving. Many states and municipalities are requiring headsets (wired or otherwise) when driving because making calls on ANY phone while driving is dangerous if you are fumbling with buttons and looking at a screen. Actually I think the problem is more prevelant when someone has a small screen. The Treo does not have this problem and has the utilities (through 3rd party cheap software) to be able to not even look at your phone when making a call.

Yes the response time on the phones is said to be slow and have a delay. This I think is a problem that could and maybe should be fixed. However, thinking that being able to make a phone call while driving without making changes to how you make/receive phone calls is also a problem.

Just my $.02.
    What's the deal with the dialing response time thing? I was in a Sprint store the other day and called 777-FILM on one of their phones, and didn't notice any delay that I keep hearing about.??

Does the delay only happen when dialing out of contacts? Have a certain amount of RAM used? Does it not occur on all phones?
    Treolexus, you seem to miss the point COMPLETELY, don't use your phone while driving...PERIOD.
    Did I?
    The point is not about whether one should use a phone while driving. You're always welcome to start that as another thread. This thread is about a 'delayed response' phone while driving. Incase you forgot, the 1st post in this thread was as follows..
    I wasn't making an analogy
    Your comparison of the t650 to McDonald's in post #4 in this thread? Not an analogy? 'Nuff said.

I'm stating that folks need to take responsibility for their actions. If you wreck while using the phone, it's not anyones fault but your own. You should know better than to be dinking with your phone while driving.
    This is where you are getting us wrong. I love the t650 for its worth and I thank Palmone for it. I do take responsibility for my actions. I dont drink and drive. Palmone made a great Bt phone, which after it released its BT carkit update, makes it easier for folks to drive and talk. But initiating a call from the phone to begin a conversation on the car is what it messed up in and that's what keeps some of us take our eyes off the road (THE ISSUE IS IN THE DELAYED RESPONSE IN INITIATING A CALL!!). Other phones like the LG-325 or the SE-T608 dont have this issue and our only request was Palmone address this on the t650 with some sort of an update, if possible.

it's not anyones fault but your own.
    It's not my fault that the t650 has a delayed response in initiating a call.
    Rob600, I've got better things to do than bicker and rummage fecklessly. I rest my case.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast