Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not quite what I meant... Go into the log as you always do. and when you have selected the listing you want, hit the green phone key, it will dial then and no need to navigate all the way back down and hit dial.

Quote Originally Posted by treoriffic
    3. Techprincesse - you are right about the green phone button but as a 600 user it is taking me some time to get used to it. Plus it is not quite the same info as the log.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Does the delay only happen when dialing out of contacts? Have a certain amount of RAM used? Does it not occur on all phones?
    Yes, the delay is experienced when dialing from contacts, and it is the same in all T650 phones out there. There is no indication that it is connecting, so you're always tempted to return to contacts and try again.

Techprincesse, for dialing from the call history, it is true that you can hit the phone green button to dial the number, but then the on-screen options should not be there if they don't work properly.
    Actually, the on-screen options do work properly....they just don't work the way we think they should. Bad design IMHO, but it does work. If you notice, the highlight color is not the same as the color when the item is actually selected (unless you chose a theme that doesn't differentiate.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    I hate the call delay, there has to be a stupid, fixable reason behind it
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    I hate the call delay, there has to be a stupid, fixable reason behind it
    I agree. The call delay response is one that totally turned me off. If not for its BT capability, I would not have purchased the t650. I hope there is a fix for it. Perhaps shadowmite can roll out his magic sleeve for us when he has time.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    According to some people on this site, you must be imagining these problems..... You must need to try Silverado's "PowerUser" techniques....

You must have not read the first article in the thread you're referring to. I suggest you read it before you refer to it erroneously.
    Hey TreoRiffic: I don't have the 650, so I'm lucky not to have experienced the problem you pointed out. At first, it looked to me like you were not acting responsibly. I think I and others were concerned about your safety and that of others, so we were hoping in addition to recognizing the problem, that you would realize a need to modify your behavior (at least until this problem is fixed). I have to admit that I rear-ended a car because of fumbling to look up a contact on my Treo 300. It was really a stupid thing, because I thought I could manage the two tasks at the same time. I hope you'll try some of the voice dialing software. Even with the issue fixed, I still think there is a risk dialing out of contacts while driving. I was lucky that there were no injuries when I had my accident, but it made me rethink my actions for the future. Nuff said on that.

I think you did a good job on warning others to watch out for this happening.
    And Yeah, P1 should fix it, as it probably contributes to accidents in a way that
    people might not realize until it is too late.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Whatever
    I sold my 600 on Enay for $400 and bought the 650 once it came out. I was really bummed about the slowness of it so I sent it back. Went back on Ebay and found someone 20 mins from me selling one for $260. I made money on this thing!

Point is, $600 is a lot to pay for a phone that seems like a downgrade.

I understand that some people get heated on this board, but lets not take the heat off of Palm. If you want to sell a $600 phone, make it a really good phone that seems like an upgrade.

Just a little food for thought. Apple is selling a Mac Mini G4 computer for $500! Think about it, an entire machine (sure argue the monitor $99, etc), but here they are selling a pretty damn fast machine for less than the 650 that has a multi second delay dailing from contacts.

I've said it before, APPLE, PLEASE MAKE A PHONE!!

Anyway, let's keep Palm accountable for their products.

As for me, I might get a 650 when they fix the problems. I thought I would be bummed after moving "down" to the 600 again, but it really fits the bill. Check my email, get online, get calls, great battery. I like it!

Thanks for letting me rant. This was like therapy.
    I'm with you. I was just thinking about that this morning. Thankfully I've still got my 600 (Which I use often when my 650 is somewhere off in la la land....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I sold my 600 on Enay for $400 and bought the 650 once it came out. I was really bummed about the slowness of it so I sent it back. Went back on Ebay and found someone 20 mins from me selling one for $260. I made money on this thing!

Point is, $600 is a lot to pay for a phone that seems like a downgrade.

I understand that some people get heated on this board, but lets not take the heat off of Palm. If you want to sell a $600 phone, make it a really good phone that seems like an upgrade.

Just a little food for thought. Apple is selling a Mac Mini G4 computer for $500! Think about it, an entire machine (sure argue the monitor $99, etc), but here they are selling a pretty damn fast machine for less than the 650 that has a multi second delay dailing from contacts.

I've said it before, APPLE, PLEASE MAKE A PHONE!!

Anyway, let's keep Palm accountable for their products.

As for me, I might get a 650 when they fix the problems. I thought I would be bummed after moving "down" to the 600 again, but it really fits the bill. Check my email, get online, get calls, great battery. I like it!

Thanks for letting me rant. This was like therapy.
    My problem with nearly getting killed is the Treo 650 works maybe too well. I almost ran off the road while catching up on e-mail using Sprints Vision internet connection. I love the thing but I will need to keep my e-mailing while on the road confined to the passenger seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    What's the deal with the dialing response time thing? I was in a Sprint store the other day and called 777-FILM on one of their phones, and didn't notice any delay that I keep hearing about.??

Does the delay only happen when dialing out of contacts? Have a certain amount of RAM used? Does it not occur on all phones?
    I'm relatively sure that it currently happens on all Treo 650's includiing the new GSM models just coming out. My Sprint 650 firmware is 1.03 and the new GSM's firmware is 1.04 but I'd bet that the 1.03<->1.04 thing is just some slight modifications made for GSM use and not the full firmware update that palm continues to promise to us 650 users that will fix this and many other issues that are plaguing Treo 650 users.

Now as to when or how or why it happens I am unsure. I am fairly sure it has something to do with the new NVFS that was implemented as I have seen the delay when I start a new program or click on the home button after running an app. It has happened when I change from a normal palm app to the phone app, dial from the call log, etc. It does not seem to be a dialpad/phone app only related issue, even though since I use this device as a phone primarily and an organizer/pda second I seem to notice the delay in the phone app the most often.

When it happens it is almost as if the treo is doing some housekeeping events in the background like writing the call log to<->from the RAM<->NVFS or something and you must wait for it to finish this before it can continue with the next job you have asked it to do. It does not seem to matter how much RAM you have available or what programs you have loaded.

Being a new Treo owner with my 650 but having several friends with Treo 600's I seem to remember it having this problem in the phoneapp originally as well but that is was later fixed to be less noticable by palm in a later firmware update for that phone.

Just my 2 cents... No need to start another tirade about anything I've posted.

-Shawn
    FWIW my 650 exibits these delays and odd focus behaviors too. I find them very annoying. I don't use the phone while driving. If it rings, the call goes to voicemail and the call log. When I stop, I check voicemail then usually return the call from the call log (the call just prior to my calling voicemail). This means that I need to access the log, focus the list so that I can scroll then press center to dial. The bad focus on the log annoys me more than anything. I looks like the list is focused even tho it isnt. I should just be able to scroll then dial - nice and simple but no. Then there is the dial delay. - Did I press the button ?, hmmm nothings happening... I press again only to find out it heard me the first time and then remembers the second press and cancels the call. WTF!! I paid $600 for this ? Very frustrating at times.

Don't get me wrong here - I love the 650 but the phone features/front end are a let down after using my old 600.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  14.    #34  
    Well it took a hundred posts, but Xathros you nailed my frustrations and clearly reiterated my point.

I really don't think that it is a reasonable request to ask people to simply not use their phones while driving and as stated in the original post my bluetooth headset which is supposed to keep my hands on the wheel is taking my eyes off the wheel. I am using the Jabra BT250 and yes sometimes it picks up the call in 1-2 seconds but then other times I hear nothing and then a faint "hello" as if there are little people hidding under my seats calling for me (or perhaps in the trunk). Suddenly I realize that my headset has not beeped yet, the call that I pressed to dial, really has dialed and the person is now shouting "Hello" at me on the handset. Yikes I look to the phone only to see that sure enough the headset icon is not on and then I pull the phone up to my ear and must look like a total nerd with a bluetooth headset on my ear and holding the phone up to my ear. Then usually about 6-10 seconds into my apology I hear the lovely beep of the headset and I can now put the phone down.

Meanwhile I watch as the 16 year old teenager girl drives by laughing, smiling, and yapping away with her "FREE with activation phone" - one hand pressing the phone to her ear, one hand holding a Burger King Coke, one pinky-finger stearing Daddy's Ford Expedition and an extra $600 in her college fund!!!!!!

Lighten up folks! My post was totally meant as satire to the problems we are all facing and hope one day will be fixed. I have no bad feelings agains Palm nor would I sue if I did crash but I just find the irony very very funny.

Best Regards!
    I don't know how many more times I can read "Don't get me wrong, I love my Treo, but...."

Is the community so sensitive to someone blasting the Treo? On the other hand, yes, the teen girl with the burger and free phone is having more fun than you are
    Quote Originally Posted by treoriffic
    Meanwhile I watch as the 16 year old teenager girl drives by laughing, smiling, and yapping away with her "FREE with activation phone" - one hand pressing the phone to her ear, one hand holding a Burger King Coke, one pinky-finger stearing Daddy's Ford Expedition and an extra $600 in her college fund!!!!!!
    Best Regards!
    Nice use of CoLoR !!! (I didn't even know that was possible!) Thanks for making me laugh today!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12