1.    #1  
    I have just installed Mapopolis and a Demo map on my
    Treo 650. The map display and GPS
    navigation work fine, but the function "buttons"
    appear at the bottom of the screen as empty white
    boxes. Intermittently, a horizontal line of tiny
    symbols appear across the middle of the screen, as
    though the symbols are being "drawn" for 160x160, but
    the boxes are being drawn (correctly) for 320x320.

This problem occurs whether launching from SD card or
    RAM, and from both the default launcher and zLauncher.
    The horizontal symbols in the middle of the screen should be in the white boxes. They are zoom, find, etc.

Others have said mapopolis will send you a new prc file that fixes that problem, but you might have to be a paying customer. Mapopolis should still work fine without this fix.

Of course, I think tomtom navigator is leaps and bounds ahead of mapopolis.

Clue
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Of course, I think tomtom navigator is leaps and bounds ahead of mapopolis.
    They're certainly not "leaps and bounds" ahead with user-friendly marketing. "Pay us $150 and hope the thing works" is not the slogan of a company I'm going to do business with. I know, I know, so many Treo users here raving about how great it is. Well, other folks didn't have the problem I'm having with Mapopolis, either.

As it stands, I'm not out any money, but I would gladly spend some on a product I can see working...first.
    I agree tomtom should have a demo, but they don't.

But now that I've used both mapopolis and tomtom, I think there's no comparison. If you've never used anything but 2D gps, you'll be fine with mapopolis. But once you see the 3D views of tomtom, it makes it so much easier to see turns up ahead. Notice that Magellan and others are talking about their new 3D views on upcoming gps products.

Clue
    ljust email mapopolis support and request the treo650 file. it's free.
    You still install the regular files, then this new prc over top, it's not a replacement fopr the whole package, just one prc.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    ljust email mapopolis support and request the treo650 file. it's free.
    You still install the regular files, then this new prc over top, it's not a replacement fopr the whole package, just one prc.
    I did, and they did, and it works!

Clue: Mapopolis would appear to have 3D navigation as well; were you implying that it doesn't, or that it lags behind TomTom particularly in this regard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    Clue: Mapopolis would appear to have 3D navigation as well; were you implying that it doesn't, or that it lags behind TomTom particularly in this regard?
    I didn't see any 3D option with mapopolis, but perhaps I didn't use it enough. It was the straightforward birds eye view. Tomtom's is more like a veiwing angle you would have with a driving videogame.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    I didn't see any 3D option with mapopolis, but perhaps I didn't use it enough. It was the straightforward birds eye view. Tomtom's is more like a veiwing angle you would have with a driving videogame.
    The Mapopolis 2.0 manual describes a similar feature, but since I've only had labelled buttons for about an hour, I haven't gotten that far yet.
    Mapopolis does have a 3D view as well as a birds-eye view. The easiest way to try it out is to check off the option in the display preferences, and then generate a route between two random locations.
  10.    #10  
    Yes, Mapopolis does indeed have 3D navigation, and it works pretty well indeed. Even "minimal" voice prompts are still pretty verbose, though. The realism of the 3D view is nice, but it does make it more difficult than a 2D "birds-eye" view for appreciating surrounding roads and places.