Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Guess you're wrong (actually on both counts): http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...&postcount=120

Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    VC is gonna get the gsm 650 at the same time cingular does, feb3. Also the cingular 650 will most likely be unlocked much like the cingular 600 is.
  2.    #122  
    Damn those VP's of marketing. They don't know sh1t.
    Quote Originally Posted by ST1R
    I've been told this by a cingular rep who claimed to be the VP of marketing for cingular. He showed me his cingular 650 back in the second week of january. So I assume he was telling the truth about his identity.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    what a bunch of goof-balls.....

VC needs 519 units, not 5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    But I need to set your expectations. Just about all of the first Treos will go to Cingular and ATT to make sure they have enough for the pent up demand.

what about the Pent up demand of those who went to the roadshow's ...

The roadshows for the T700 Should Be VERY Interesting... Think they would try that again...

HHmmm have a roadshow fire folks up and Then Make them The Absolute last to get thier hands on the Product.. Makes sense to Me
    yeah
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckie
    Dear Treo 650 GSM unlocked customers,

Following is a note from Marketing at palmOne. I have been asked to forward this to those of you from the roadshow with Treo 650 GSM orders so you can get the latest status. Jeff

Dear Treo Mobility Roadshow'r

You may have seen that Cingular brought the GSM Treo to market yesterday.

This means we'll soon be able to start sending GSM units to you.

But I need to set your expectations. Just about all of the first Treos will go to Cingular and ATT to make sure they have enough for the pent up demand.

As soon as I get my hands on your Treos they will be sent. I want this almost as much as you.

We'll post the delivery status on the web at www.viennachannels.com/palmoneevents and I'll send out the occasional status on email as well.

Thanks again for being interested in the Treo.

palmOne Marketing
    I have been pretty loyal to P1 up to now, and not whined but... "to C & AT&T for pent up demand"? What about our pent-up demand? Like many I was hoping that the road-show would lead to reasonably early delivery, not just a discount coupon. P1 made a big mistake on this and it will be interesting to see if they do anything to placate us. After all, even without the unhappy Sprint group, we are 500 odd. Not a huge group but not one to be ignored either. Hopefully they will think of something useful, for example, sending us a 1GB SD card instead if the regular 128MB .
    Boy, I never thought I'd get quite as whiny as the following....

I thought it was interesting to note that someone went to the PalmOne kiosk/store in the Bay Area and they were planning on having 650s.

People have ordered unlocked phones on PalmOne's website -- with delivery targeted at 1-2 weeks. Why wouldn't these be slated for roadshow customers?

I'm a Cingular customer myself, as I suspect are the majority of 650GSM roadshow customers...

So -- I'm a bit confused. Is it that most are going to Cingular/ATT and they can't come up with 500 for the roadshow'rs or is it a matter of a bird in the hand? That is, sell it to NEW customers not those already locked in.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Grrr... I am getting impatient. I might just cancel my order and get the iMate PDA2k from expansys even though it's like $300 more...
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    So P1 just jacked up the price for the unlocked 650 to $699. This means that the phone is selling like hotcakes. Supply and demand, right? However, they have not shipped a single unlocked unit to anyone. My guess is that this is BAD news for us waiting for VC. I'd bet $699 that P1 willl fulfill the $599 and $699 orders first before they ship to VC for $349.

Who is with me?
    Unfortunately, I think you're right on the money...

Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    So P1 just jacked up the price for the unlocked 650 to $699. This means that the phone is selling like hotcakes. Supply and demand, right? However, they have not shipped a single unlocked unit to anyone. My guess is that this is BAD news for us waiting for VC. I'd bet $699 that P1 willl fulfill the $599 and $699 orders first before they ship to VC for $349.

Who is with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjosh
    Unfortunately, I think you're right on the money...
    Well, I did get lucky.. I'd put an order in at P1 tonight right before they jacked up the price... still for $599, which I plan to return within 30 days for my money back once I get my VC unit,... maybe...
    I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach... First we get the disheartening "update e-mail" which basically provides no reasurrance we roadshowers are much of a priority, then the news of the price hike... Of course it's difficult to conclude all this adds up to anything other than a lengthy delay. I sure hope pa1mOne proves this logic wrong, but I'm prepared for the worst. If HP comes thru with the "Mobile Messenger" in Q2 per rumors and leaked info at brighthand.com, this could be the end of the line for PalmOS for me. I've owned at least a dozen, from the original Pilot 1000 (got it the day it was released, and still have it) to the present--but this is a serious test of my loyalty. I'm sure most all of us have been huge ambassadors for Palm, but I'm feeling a bit dissed right now.

End of dejected attempt at rant...
    Todd/Indy
    This whole thing seems really bizarre, the road show was designed to lure big companies to buy the Treo, the discount was so they could get one tinker with it, and then hopefully buy hundreds of units. This is no way for palm to treat these potential huge customers, if anything they should have gotten units out to these people before the official release, so that they could have some big orders in hand for the launches. Palm really dropped the ball here in terms of marketing and wooing their potential big business customers.

One caveat however, likely 50% of the people at the road shows were from TC, so maybe palm decided that the whole project had backfired, and that they didnít want to make it a high priority.

This waiting sucks. I'm trying to sort this out and see a bright side to all this. Here's all I've got:

Thanks to Palm's seemingly uncaring attitude about getting Treos to the very customers they were trying to entice at the roadshows (those being IT pros, and their most enthusiastic consumer customers -- you know, the ones that read message boards devoted to their products daily, or HOURLY), they released to the general public a product that was rife with bugs (voice issues, memory problems) that they're now patching slowly, we hope.

And now they've raised the price of the probably still buggy, unlocked GSM 650 by $100.

So, all I can say is that by waiting for three months since the roadshow, perhaps we stand to get a better phone, now at half-price from retail with no contract. Though I think it's unlikely this "better phone" will the result of Palm writing patches, I'm glad that there are such resourceful programmers around here who think treo bug fixes and enhancements are fun!

All I can say is this phone better be DUN-enabled after all this...
    Yeah for me I have been using a Treo 650 on Sprint since before Thanksgiving, so I am not as pained as all you guys who have been waiting forever!! However I ordered a GSM version form VC, as I thought it would likely be easier to sell on eBay since there is a much wider market for an unlocked GSM phone, then there is a Sprint phone. I was pretty sure we were in for a wait from VC, so I didnít want to rely on them to get me my phone fast...

16.    #136  
    I agree with that statement 100%. I'd venture to guess the number far exceeds 50%. TC people and friends an relatives who heard from TC members (and others because this deal wasn't just posted on TC). I know a guy in DC who went with both his son and daughter and placed 3 orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    One caveat however, likely 50% of the people at the road shows were from TC, so maybe palm decided that the whole project had backfired, and that they didnít want to make it a high priority.
    VC Message said:

"But I need to set your expectations. Just about all of the first Treos will go to Cingular and ATT to make sure they have enough for the pent up demand."

I think he meant to say "I need to UPSET your expectations . . ."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Clorto
    VC Message said:

"But I need to set your expectations. Just about all of the first Treos will go to Cingular and ATT to make sure they have enough for the pent up demand."
    What puzzles me is that the Cingular and ATT phones have, as I understand it, logos applied on the phones themselves and the P1 phones do not. And, these logos are not stickers.

If that's correct, presumably the logos were applied during manufacturing. There would be a batch of GSM phones "decorated" with Cingular art, another with ATT art and a third with P1 art (which is mainly the absense of the Cingular and/or ATT logo).

If that's correct, this makes no sense. Either they have P1 GSM inventory or they don't.
  19.    #139  
    The ATT model, which I have, (unlike the Cingular model) does NOT have any external logos. In fact, when it starts up it has a Cingular screen. The manuals (both on the CD and paper) specifically refer to ATT and the network settings are all set to AT&T. When you start Blazer, one of the unremoveable favorites is mMode.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Treo
    What puzzles me is that the Cingular and ATT phones have, as I understand it, logos applied on the phones themselves and the P1 phones do not. And, these logos are not stickers.

If that's correct, presumably the logos were applied during manufacturing. There would be a batch of GSM phones "decorated" with Cingular art, another with ATT art and a third with P1 art (which is mainly the absense of the Cingular and/or ATT logo).

If that's correct, this makes no sense. Either they have P1 GSM inventory or they don't.
    Yes, the same thing went through my mind. One possibility is that the ROM and cover are last-minute assembled in the US for shipment. I would guess not -- but if it were, this would give them more flexibility. This wouldn't be possible with the Sprint phones given the different hardware inside, but would be a *possibility* with the different GSM versions.

Of course, with the Roadshow'rs getting Sprint phones very late, nothing makes too much sense about the delay. These are Sprint customers -- prioritizing the Roadshow'rs in this case would be giving priority to Sprint. PalmOne shipped Sprint phones much earlier and in dwarfing volumes, I would guess, to those that ordered direct from PalmOne. Where's the sense in that other than just not paying attention to those that went on the roadshow?
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast