Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 639
  1.    #101  
    I'm hoping you're correct, but "unlocked" by GSM definition only refers to inter-carrier (not SIM locked) useage and has nothing at all to with BT DUN capability. I guess we'll have to wait for the first PalmOne directly purchased USA model to show up with someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgal
    Adding my two cents..

    Still waiting patiently for my unlocked GSM Treo 650. Ordered T650 after the San Francisco road show.

    I expect my T650 to be completely unlocked (DUN ENABLED, etc. ) based on an email from Jeff on 11/7/2004 "update that your Treo 650 GSM unlocked model order (works on any GSM network, ie. Cingular, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile) is received and in our system" .
  2. #102  
    Mistered & Cglaguna,

    So unlocked from Vienna Channels only means that I can use it with any carrier. Features on the phone are completely independent.

    Yes, I'm new, but trying to lurk & learn.

    Thanks for the explanation.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I'm 99% sure the description was just about as follows: Treo 650 GSM, unlocked (works on any GSM network, ie. Cingular, AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile).

    I don't believe is stated a "Cingular unlocked GSM 650"

    Frankly that's what I think we're going to get anyway, and not the model P1 is or will be selling in their stores or online. I was hoping for the P1 model .... which would probably NOT have the DUN blocked or need it hacked.

    Edit: my confirmation states: Treo 650 GSM unlocked
    I still have the confirmation E-mail From jeff when I ordered Mine Below is what i Cut from the email:

    We wanted to provide you and update that your Treo 650 GSM unlocked model order is received and in our system. This device will be operable on all GSM networks in the United States (ie T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless and Cingular).
  4. #104  
    still waiting for mine from the ny roadshow.....i only have the email saying that the order is in their system.
  5. #105  
    Damm, I am order number 15XX, I will never see the GSM version will I?
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting57
    Damm, I am order number 15XX, I will never see the GSM version will I?
    Been so long for Me that I will have to give them a Different Credit card Number by the time thier ready to ship...
  7. #107  
    f'ing cut out my eyeballs and **** in the sockets why don't ya....
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  8.    #108  
    Yes ... unlocked means nothing but that. Does NOT mean it will or will not have any other features (like DUN), that remains to be seen. The fact the phone from New Zealand had DUN available doesn't NECESSARILY mean the one P1 sells to VC in the US will (or won't).

    Quote Originally Posted by sfgal
    Mistered & Cglaguna,

    So unlocked from Vienna Channels only means that I can use it with any carrier. Features on the phone are completely independent.

    Yes, I'm new, but trying to lurk & learn.

    Thanks for the explanation.
  9. #109  
    Am I the only sad, desperate one checking this site, only to discover that, in fact, there is "No Carrier date released yet." for the GSM phone? I had imagined otherwise, but this cold, stark fact facing me keeps setting me straight.



    By the way, I thought another way to express the frustration/issue with the way this program has been handled (at least watching the way Sprint customers were handled -- can't fault them *yet* for the way GSM customers have been handled as I understand that Cingular had to release it) is as follows:

    * While this is a 'program' that we are getting a benefit from, there are several considerations that PalmONE should think about w.r.t. customer service:
    a) All of us took over 1/2 a day off to attend;
    b) This was done as a marketing event for PalmONE, but more importantly for PalmONE partners;
    c) Based on the experience getting Sprint phones (particularly the last hundred or so), I think people are going to be reluctant to attend these in the future -- as the coupon was an inducement to attend for many of us. While I didn't specifically attend for the third party vendors, my IT person has all the info and has looked at these products -- so the purpose was fulfilled.
    If people are reluctant to attend, this ISN'T positive to PalmOne's third-party partners. Treating them well is good for us and good for PalmOne.
    d) While the program didn't go smoothly at the outset, it's easy to rectify:
    Ensure that the communication is swift and accurate (hence, make sure that Vienna Channels updates their website TODAY);
    Get the rest of the phones out immediately

    Finishing cleanly and quickly is a good way to help fix the lack of execution previously. Leave everyone with a good taste in their mouth, even if the appetizer was a little off...

    e) These events really do talk to key influencers in the Palm community -- we are the people that spread the word and get others to purchase. For that reason, you want to give us the best customer service experience -- not treat us as after thoughts. Positioning the program as a *program* and therefore you should just excuse the poor execution (i.e. the program is given NO priority in channel distribution of phones) just is not the way to handle the cream of your customer base.
    Last edited by criminal; 02/03/2005 at 09:50 AM.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by criminal
    Am I the only sad, desperate one checking this site, only to discover that, in fact, there is "No Carrier date released yet." for the GSM phone? I had imagined otherwise, but this cold, stark fact facing me keeps setting me straight.



    By the way, I thought another way to express the frustration/issue with the way this program has been handled (at least watching the way Sprint customers were handled -- can't fault them *yet* for the way GSM customers have been handled as I understand that Cingular had to release it) is as follows:

    * While this is a 'program' that we are getting a benefit from, there are several considerations that PalmONE should think about w.r.t. customer service:
    a) All of us took over 1/2 a day off to attend;
    b) This was done as a marketing event for PalmONE, but more importantly for PalmONE partners;
    c) Based on the experience getting Sprint phones (particularly the last hundred or so), I think people are going to be reluctant to attend these in the future -- as the coupon was an inducement to attend for many of us. While I didn't specifically attend for the third party vendors, my IT person has all the info and has looked at these products -- so the purpose was fulfilled;
    d) While the program didn't go smoothly at the outset, it's easy to rectify:
    I for one had nearly 5 hours driving time to and from chicago for the Roadshow. and would have happily Paid full price for the treo if i had been able to get it "pre-release" instead of WAY "Post-release" (waiting for GSM).
    Other Roadshow type events for other types of technolgy equipment has been handled this way, That way the Manufacture has a Good Base of Early Adopter Beta-testers that they dont have to pay for. Wouldnt it be great for a Company to have a Shadowmite testing and assisting in remedies instead of Mr. Joe public how does this work Complaining about the shortcomings of the equipment........
  11. #111  
    I went to the VC update page looking for updates, too. I agree--if we're all directed there repeatedly, they should be a bit more timely keeping it up to date.

    Todd/Indy
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by criminal
    * While this is a 'program' that we are getting a benefit from, there are several considerations that PalmONE should think about w.r.t. customer service:
    a) All of us took over 1/2 a day off to attend;
    b) This was done as a marketing event for PalmONE, but more importantly for PalmONE partners;
    c) Based on the experience getting Sprint phones (particularly the last hundred or so), I think people are going to be reluctant to attend these in the future -- as the coupon was an inducement to attend for many of us. While I didn't specifically attend for the third party vendors, my IT person has all the info and has looked at these products -- so the purpose was fulfilled.
    If people are reluctant to attend, this ISN'T positive to PalmOne's third-party partners. Treating them well is good for us and good for PalmOne.
    d) While the program didn't go smoothly at the outset, it's easy to rectify:
    Ensure that the communication is swift and accurate (hence, make sure that Vienna Channels updates their website TODAY);
    Get the rest of the phones out immediately

    Finishing cleanly and quickly is a good way to help fix the lack of execution previously. Leave everyone with a good taste in their mouth, even if the appetizer was a little off...

    e) These events really do talk to key influencers in the Palm community -- we are the people that spread the word and get others to purchase. For that reason, you want to give us the best customer service experience -- not treat us as after thoughts. Positioning the program as a *program* and therefore you should just excuse the poor execution (i.e. the program is given NO priority in channel distribution of phones) just is not the way to handle the cream of your customer base.

    I, too, invested a half day in the Roadshow.

    I invested the time not to get a discount coupon (hell, I spent 15% of the value of the coupon on taxi fares to attend) but because I understood, obviously erroneously, that it would be an early opportunity to learn about the product, learn about "aftermarket" enhancements and tools available and, most importantly, have the opportunity to get a phone (GSM for us) reasonably quickly so we could evaluate it for possible deployment to some key staff here.

    We are not a large organization. I am talking about 15-20 phones, which is probably not of great interest to P1. But it is significant for us, and having the ability to evaluate the phones before adoption was essential.

    And, while our need wasn't urgent, a 3-4 month delay before being able to get phone for evaluation is neither realistic or acceptable.

    So, while I continue to have a high personal interest in the T650 - and will in all liklihood end up using one personally, the delay has caused us to look elsewhere for a solution. This time around we won't be buying 20 Treos.

    Yes, it was clearly and unambiguously disclosed at the Roadshow that VC was not "a store" and that it wasn't the quickest way to get a phone to test. But there is a difference between "not the quickest" and what looks like it will turn out to approach four months.

    I like the product a lot. It's not perfect but it's clearly damn good. Yes, memory is short. WiFi would be, for us, a huge plus. But it's a fine product and I suspect, once I finally get the unit to test, I'll conclude we would have adpopted it.

    P1 has to make the business decisions they think best for them. I do not feel entitled to any "rights" as a prospective buyer. They need to do what's right for them and we need to do what we think is best for us.

    And I have not, in a literal sense, been misled in any way - except that the Roadshow created the clear expectation, in my mind, that they were anxious to expose the phone and their partners to prospective users and that it was reasonable to assume that the hardware would be provided for evaluation in a "reasonable" time.

    In this marketplace, three or four months is not "a reasonable time".
  13. #113  
    I agree with all of the criticisms about P1's marketing blunders in the release of the 650.

    On the one hand, I attended the Roadshow as an opportunity to buy a 650 for myself, so I understand the feeling that I'm just waiting since I get a huge discount.

    On the other, my boss and I have been trying to implement a wireless system in the office, so when I went to the roadshow and got the info about Good, I was excitied, thinking that it would be a great solution. I signed up with Good and was contacted by one of their reps almost immediately. I thus signed up to buy one 650 (for myself, because I know I want it no matter what), and signed up for a trial with Good for four more. Naturally, my boss has been asking me about it since the Chicago Roadshow. Naturally, I am tired of telling him I don't know, and I'm just a touch irritated with P1 for putting me in this situation. My boss is now talking about going with blackberries, which is just making me so much happier.

    While I can't complain about the price for myself, I can say that the whole roadshow concept backfired on P1. If you're going to tout your new product, continually saying that you don't knkow the release date and dragging it out over four months now is only a prescription for aggravation, which is not the way to attract and keep customers.

    I have owned a Palm (or Handspring) product since 1997, beginning with a Palm III. I will resist switching to PPC for multitudes of reasons, but this whole experience is moving me more that way.
  14. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I'm hoping you're correct, but "unlocked" by GSM definition only refers to inter-carrier (not SIM locked) useage and has nothing at all to with BT DUN capability. I guess we'll have to wait for the first PalmOne directly purchased USA model to show up with someone.
    While yes, "unlocked" does refer to whether or not it will work on any GSM carrier (as opposed to being "locked" to one), it may also impact whether DUN is enabled or disabled. If it's disabled by/at the request of a carrier, then an unlocked phone won't have this issue. If palmOne is disabling it on all 650s (i.e. "all the carriers are asking for it so it's simpler/faster") then no go.
  15.    #115  
    HUH? I have no idea what point you are trying to make. An locked phone is sim locked to one carrier and and unlocked phone is useable on all carriers. Having DUN enabled or disabled has no bearing on whether a phone is locked or unlocked. I've never seen the definition of a locked or unlocked phone include whether it has DUN enabled or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    While yes, "unlocked" does refer to whether or not it will work on any GSM carrier (as opposed to being "locked" to one), it may also impact whether DUN is enabled or disabled. If it's disabled by/at the request of a carrier, then an unlocked phone won't have this issue. If palmOne is disabling it on all 650s (i.e. "all the carriers are asking for it so it's simpler/faster") then no go.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    HUH? I have no idea what point you are trying to make. An locked phone is sim locked to one carrier and and unlocked phone is useable on all carriers. Having DUN enabled or disabled has no bearing on whether a phone is locked or unlocked. I've never seen the definition of a locked or unlocked phone include whether it has DUN enabled or not.
    It's still quite possible that they tie whether DUN is enabled to whose carrier the SIM card is from. Case in point: the unlocked Treo 600 gave you automatic, ready to use GPRS profiles based on whose SIM card you put in it. I'm sure that information was provided by the carriers. So it's not out of the question that they might enable/disable DUN based on carrier.
  17. #117  
    I highly doubt the SIM can override the ROM of the phone.

    Now, it may supply bogus settings to the phone auto0matically, or none at all. But I don't think a SIM can "switch off" functionality.
  18.    #118  
    Absolutely you are correct .... but it has absolutely nothing to do with whether the phone is sim locked or not from VC.

    The ORIGINAL question which was responded to was that started this was:
    "So unlocked from Vienna Channels only means that I can use it with any carrier. Features on the phone are completely independent."

    And the answer is still yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    It's still quite possible that they tie whether DUN is enabled to whose carrier the SIM card is from. Case in point: the unlocked Treo 600 gave you automatic, ready to use GPRS profiles based on whose SIM card you put in it. I'm sure that information was provided by the carriers. So it's not out of the question that they might enable/disable DUN based on carrier.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsTheFly
    I highly doubt the SIM can override the ROM of the phone.

    Now, it may supply bogus settings to the phone auto0matically, or none at all. But I don't think a SIM can "switch off" functionality.
    Not to belabor the point, but this is quite doable in software. Handspring and now palmOne does a lot of customization for carriers, even when they are not officially carrying the phone. Again, with the Treo 600, depending on the SIM card you put into it, you got different default favorites. Some had the first slot programmed for voicemail and you couldn't delete it, others didn't have that restriction.

    I have no idea whether or not they will resteict anything, but it is certainly doable.
  20. #120  
    Dear Treo 650 GSM unlocked customers,

    Following is a note from Marketing at palmOne. I have been asked to forward this to those of you from the roadshow with Treo 650 GSM orders so you can get the latest status. Jeff

    Dear Treo Mobility Roadshow'r

    You may have seen that Cingular brought the GSM Treo to market yesterday.

    This means we'll soon be able to start sending GSM units to you.

    But I need to set your expectations. Just about all of the first Treos will go to Cingular and ATT to make sure they have enough for the pent up demand.

    As soon as I get my hands on your Treos they will be sent. I want this almost as much as you.

    We'll post the delivery status on the web at www.viennachannels.com/palmoneevents and I'll send out the occasional status on email as well.

    Thanks again for being interested in the Treo.

    palmOne Marketing

Posting Permissions