Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by curlykraut
    Let's see, I have more than enough demand to fulfill $599, oh wait, $699, orders. Why would I care to send phones to someone who will sell them for $349? Even if it is internal. What am I missing?

What you are missing is very simple. I have an order for a VC unit at $349. I just gave up and bought one at $599 -- only took two days to get (which indicates, BTW, that they should have NO problem filling my VC order).

When I get my VC unit, I will ebay it. I'll probably put a reserve price of $400 on it, but I'll fetch less than $699 for it in the market place. This unit will be purchased by someone who won't purchase it from PalmONE direct.

In fact, they will have gained NOTHING in the deal by holding off -- all they will be doing is accelerating the difference between $599-349 into their coffers. Let's assume they wait two more months for the VC channels, and let's assume a very generous 24% annual interest rate. Now, just to simplify, that would mean they are getting an extra 4% of the difference 599-349, which is $10. NOW, that also assumes that the future person who buys it on EBay knows enough to pay $599 instead of $699 from PalmOne (as an alternative) -- some of the pricing on EBay indicates that many of the bidders do not know this.

So, they made an extra $10 (MAX) in the process -- while pissing off some of their best potential customers. Seems like a pretty dumb business decision to me. Companies should ALWAYS err on customer service instead of short-sighted optimizations -- no amount of advertising can buy or replace a really happy customer that evangelizes.
    Don't forget eBaying to overseas customers. You can still recover your $599 and someone overseas can save a lot (and probably get their unit faster than you). Hang in there. I'm on the verge of doing the same thing.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    Don't forget eBaying to overseas customers. You can still recover your $599 and someone overseas can save a lot (and probably get their unit faster than you). Hang in there. I'm on the verge of doing the same thing.

Todd/Indy

It's on the Fed Ex truck out for delivery... :>)

Nice trade off to get it early and still get the discount. But, I resent the extra hassle. More resentment.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I fully agree with that (I've even said that myself numerous times). In my mind (referring to the email from Fabris) it was a stupid answer (especially coming from P1). I'd have had more respect for them if they just came out and told the truth. I'd still be pissed, but at least the response would sound so foolish.
    Having just recieved an invitation to a webinar from pamOne Business Solutions, here is my reply
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicman
    Please refrain from sending me these business solutions messages, until you have resolved your own business problems in organizing roadshows, building expectations and then not delivering. I attended a roadshow months ago and waited patiently for the promised demo unit. I was patient while I waited for the GSM model, understanding that you had an agreement with Sprint for initial deliveries. however, now Cingular/AT&T and palmOne itself seem to be shipping GSM units at full speed, yet palmOne cannot find 500 units to deliver to the folks to took the time and effort to attend YOUR marketing sessions.

I am very disappointed at your approach and also the fact that no-one at palmOne has taken the trouble to contact the roadshow attendees to apologize or explain when we can expect our units.

palmOne Business Solutions wrote:
    Wonder if they will even read it
    I doubt they'll read it. They don't care. They think the Treo is untouchable in the market and, while it's pretty far ahead on the curve, its days are numbered. There are too many other companies chasing this product niche.

I used to be a loyal Palm supporter, but this has really turned me off from their products. I'm really hoping that Dell (because they deal in volume and cut prices like nobody's business) mass-produces a cheap PPC phone that will nuke the Treo out of the water. Because I'll preorder that -- and I bet I'll get it when right when they start shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    Having just recieved an invitation to a webinar from pamOne Business Solutions, here is my reply

Wonder if they will even read it
    Magicman, if you get an answer, please post it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Clorto
    Magicman, if you get an answer, please post it!
    of course
    Today I also sent the following message to palOne:

Mr. Fabris,

I am writing to you to express my deep disappointment at palmOne's handling of the demo units affair following the roadshows late last year. As you might guess I am one of the users waiting for a GSM unit, although I understand that Sprint users have been waiting quite some time too. However, after investing time and effort to attend the show, and to propagate findings from the show within my company, I am very, very annoyed to see that ViennaChannels is still not shipping GSM units, and worse, no-one has contacted me to explain why those who recently ordered via Cingular/AT&T and palmOne itself are receiving their units, while my order placed in November is still open. I have been very patient while you cleared the Sprint agreement, but now that GSM units are freely available there is no reason expect pure stupidity why my order should not be able to be fulfilled. Believe me, this affair has really forced me to test my loyalty to Palm, and I have contemplated switching to PPC hardware.

Hopefully you are working on resolving this issue as soon as possible, dare I hope by even diverting some of the units from your own palmOne site to Vienna Channels. I think that you should also arrange some kind of communication to myself and others that are waiting. Finally you might even like to think about some compensation for the inconvenience that we have experienced. For example, you may wish to increase the size of the SD card that is currently being offered on your site for power 650 users, e.g. from 128Mb --> 1Gb.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, with some some good news of course,

Regards

a disgruntled long time Palm user
    And the good news is someone at P1 read the message:

Your message

To: Joe Fabris; Joe Fabris
    Subject: Deep Disappointment Following Roadshows
    Sent: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:06:37 -0800

was read on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:30:26 -0800

Final-Recipient: RFC822; Joe.Fabris@palmone.com
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; displayed
    X-MSExch-Correlation-Key: obn+mX+oL02DV84VP3bLDw==
    We will see if anything happens now
    Quote Originally Posted by IamFromFuture
    Perhaps, PalmOne wants to make sure the road show attendees gets a device with all the bugs fixed.
    I would agree with you there, but there should be some sort of communication to us. Unless we send mail, they never would respond to us, my boss asks me for updates.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    And the good news is someone at P1 read the message
    I am generally a pretty positive person...

however...

I have dealt via email with this individual, I will be shocked and amazed if you 1) receive any response 2) the response has anything substantive.

good luck, though.

Someone should capture this launch for a marketing textbook. It is no where near the magnitude $$ wise, but as far as poor planning and execution, this dwarfs teh New Coke.
    This is so not Right.. I think I too will buy a GSM and then Ebay my VC 650. Why are we being persecuted by P1?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    persecution requires some type of personal connection to you. one thing has become clear, P1 has so little regard for the attendees that they wouldn't even be bothered.

remember folks, via their own website, they have only 500 or so GSM Treos committed.

Fact - P1 patrols this site and some of the office staff are unhappy that folks buy discounted devices and sell them on ebay for a profit (pm me if you want to know how I know this). This is their thumb in the eye of the 10% that take advantage of a situation, at the expense of the 90%.

Unfortunately, they miss the factt that the 90% generate a significant chunk of buzz around the device. it is clear to me that if anyone feels they are persecuted, it is the P1 folks.....
  14.    #254  
    That'll show 'em! NOT! So you'll buy one at full price. That's the point. The only way to fight them is to not buy any at all. Even refuse the VC one. That's like not buying gas on Wednesday's (but it's OK the other 6 days). That's why they don't care. They know they have a hot item and if they don't send it to you for $350 they'll sell you one for $700. And even if they have to send you the $350 one anyways they're no worse off. The "they lose logic" of buying one at full retail then selling the cheap one on eBay is silly because they just sold one for full price.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    This is so not Right.. I think I too will buy a GSM and then Ebay my VC 650. Why are we being persecuted by P1?
    Anybody else feel like PalmOne has just taken the fun out of this. I was really excited for this phone and now I'm just angry. I guess I still want the phone, but I am not going to feel all that good about it. I should pass on the VC phone and find something else. but I don't really want anything else either. I think this will be my last PalmOne purchase. I will wait for the other players to catch up and then gladly move on.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    if Hawkins is involved, it will be tought for others to catch up....
    any news from the VC & P1 clowns on shipping the GSM 650
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    any news from the VC & P1 clowns on shipping the GSM 650
    No. They just want us all to realize that we are big suckers whom they can safely ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    Anybody else feel like PalmOne has just taken the fun out of this. I was really excited for this phone and now I'm just angry. I guess I still want the phone, but I am not going to feel all that good about it. I should pass on the VC phone and find something else. but I don't really want anything else either. I think this will be my last PalmOne purchase. I will wait for the other players to catch up and then gladly move on.
    I'm with you guinness! I've had it with Palm1. I'm so angry @ myself for patiently waiting for this "flawed" device!

I've decided to go ahead & purchase the GSM thru a different channel, and once I get the VC Treo I will ebay it!

In due time, Palm1 will shoot themselves in the foot for being apathetic to their loyal customers.
    I sent a scathing email to P1 execs a few days ago. I received a response and it was the same old sorry bs. Jeff Hawkins was CC'ed on the original email. My suggestion: If you're displeased - and rightfully so in this case - I would let them know about it.

I CC'ed other folks on the email who were directly responsible for NOT purchasing 650s because of, among other things, P1's handling of enterprise customer needs, etc.