Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
  1.    #181  
    Huh? I have no idea what you are asking. If what is my plan?

I have an ATT version of the 650 now.
    My choices are:
    (a)Return it to ATT and be TreoLess until the VC comes in when my 30 days are up on March 1st
    (b)Keep the ATT model and sell it on eBay or wherever and hopefully get back the $450+6% tax that I paid for it when the VC model comes in March or April
    (c)Keep the ATT model and sell the VC model which was $350 unopened for which I should be able to get close to the $700 they are asking for it on eBay.

Actually there is a 4th possibility:
    (d) At the end of 30 days return the ATT model and migrate to Cingular and repeat A,b,c again with a Cingular 650.

So now what was your question?

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I want to buy a Vienna Channels unlocked and unbranded phone. I want two of them --allow me to clarify -- the locked Cingular version and unlkd/unbrd. MisterED, if that is your plan, let's work out something mid March like the 15th -- after pay day.
    Hey PalmOne and Cingular, Great plan!! Make us all wait for our Vienna Channel phones and we'll all buy Cingular phones and return them in 30 days. That's a great plan. Really helps everyones bottom line huh. You'll get a nice supply of phones that you can't sell as new anymore.

Everybody waiting for a VC phone should do this. Serves them right.
    For me it's easy. Buy unlocked now, eBay VC later. Unless, of course, VC starts shipping VERY soon, which I seriously doubt. I've been jones for this phone hard since November. It went from an early Christmas present, to a Christmas present, to a late Christmas present, to a birthday present. I want it now already...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  4.    #184  
    Now there's an idea I missed. Send back my ATT now, buy an unlocked, wait for VC and sell it (except I should have thought of that yesterday when I could get the unlocked for $599). Oh well, back to plans A-D.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    For me it's easy. Buy unlocked now, eBay VC later. Unless, of course, VC starts shipping VERY soon, which I seriously doubt. I've been jones for this phone hard since November. It went from an early Christmas present, to a Christmas present, to a late Christmas present, to a birthday present. I want it now already...
    I will answer you via PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Huh? I have no idea what you are asking. If what is my plan?

I have an ATT version of the 650 now.
    My choices are:
    (a)Return it to ATT and be TreoLess until the VC comes in when my 30 days are up on March 1st
    (b)Keep the ATT model and sell it on eBay or wherever and hopefully get back the $450+6% tax that I paid for it when the VC model comes in March or April
    (c)Keep the ATT model and sell the VC model which was $350 unopened for which I should be able to get close to the $700 they are asking for it on eBay.

Actually there is a 4th possibility:
    (d) At the end of 30 days return the ATT model and migrate to Cingular and repeat A,b,c again with a Cingular 650.

So now what was your question?
    You still have the option to buy one at retail and suppport your clients (and even return it within 30 days if VC shows up). The guy at the roadshow did say that he wasn't a store and pretty much said he wasn't on top of the list for product. You can always sell the VC one when it eventually shows up and probably just about cover the cost of the retail model. Or just get one cheaper then a P1 store from Cing/ATT. I'm sure you know all that. That being said, if March/April is true, that is pretty lousy since they are currently available. But if I was P1, I'd ship to the full paying customers too. All the anger will be forgotten soon after it arrives, whenever that may be. It's already subsiding since deliveries from P1 have started.
    Absolutely. And that's what I'll likely end up doing. But at that point, Vienna Channels has become more like a store than anything else they had in mind for these roadshows. A store with great prices, but a weak relationship with their suppliers.
    Does anybody know what the return policy is if you buy directly from PalmOne. Either unlocked or Cingular locked without a service plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    Hey PalmOne and Cingular, Great plan!! Make us all wait for our Vienna Channel phones and we'll all buy Cingular phones and return them in 30 days. That's a great plan. Really helps everyones bottom line huh. You'll get a nice supply of phones that you can't sell as new anymore.

Everybody waiting for a VC phone should do this. Serves them right.
    I don't know if your contempt is for my plan or PalmOne's lack of one, but here's some news: it won't hurt them too badly.

Back when I was a Treo 600 owner (4 short months), I went thru 5 units. I'm pretty confident that when I went in for my replacement and they pulled out a naked Treo, that was no new unit. In fact, the first time I went in for a 600, they told me they only had one, "but it was for defective exchange only."

Reading thru these boards, looks like deja vu all over again.

Regarding return, looks like 90 days on new and 30 days on the "open box" units discussed in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    This ended up being my approach. I just picked up an unlocked GSM at the palmOne store today. They had "over 50" GSM phones, they weren't sure how many of each (Cingular-branded vs. unlocked). I'll eBay my Vienna Channels one whenever they send it to me.
    Huh ? Simply because the online orders are paying full price and we're paying half-price. Sounds like a good business decision to me (as much as I'd prefer they shipped us first). But since shipping only started TODAY maybe we'll start being surprised sooner rather then later. Give 'em a few days before we pass judgement.
    I'm basing my *quick* judgement on three things:
    1. They've shipped (I would guess hundreds) unlocked GSMs off the website and stocked PalmONE stores;
    2. They dragged out the Sprint deliveries until WELL after they needed to;
    3. From his email yesterday (?), Jeff (VC) doesn't seem to know of ANY plan for the GSM phones. If they could stock shelves and ship units, certainly they could have communicated a plan.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised -- it would certainly rectify poor execution to date. And, I'm sure my sour taste will go away.

And, my point still stands, I don't see how this is a good business decision. There are several important reasons to treat the roadshow people well:
    1. You want the third-party vendors to support you and be happy with you -- it's critical that you get the developer community behind you as an enterprise vendor. If you want these to be well received in the future, you get people to recommend them.

2. This roadshow didn't draw the average consumer -- it drew people that are likely evangelists of PalmOne products. They are enthusiasts that influence purchases at their organizations as well as within their communities. Advertising cannot match strong word of mouth and power of strong customer service -- this is good business.

3. This isn't a simple decision about who paid more. First, PalmOne has to ship to the roadshow people at some point anyway, so it's not as if they are optimizing their revenue. Second, the attendees of the roadshow made a serious investment in time, worth more than the price difference in the product -- if anything, this investment should take precedence over someone happening to call in to order months later.

(Of course, my main reason for replying is to keep this thread alive -- I don't think PalmOne should forget how a terrific roadshow has been spoiled by poor follow through)
    Last edited by criminal; 02/13/2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by criminal
    I'm basing my *quick* judgement on three things:
    1. They've shipped (I would guess hundreds) unlocked GSMs off the website and stocked PalmONE stores;
    2. They dragged out the Sprint deliveries until WELL after they needed to;
    3. From his email yesterday (?), Jeff (VC) doesn't seem to know of ANY plan for the GSM phones. If they could stock shelves and ship units, certainly they could have communicated a plan.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised -- it would certainly rectify poor execution to date.

And, my point still stands, I don't see how this is a good business decision. There are several important reasons to treat the roadshow people well:
    1. You want the third-party vendors to support you and be happy with you -- it's critical that you get the developer community behind you as an enterprise vendor. If you want these to be well received in the future, you get people to recommend them.

2. This roadshow didn't draw the average consumer -- it drew people that are likely evangelists of PalmOne products. They are enthusiasts that influence purchases at their organizations as well as within their communities. Advertising cannot match strong word of mouth and power of strong customer service -- this is good business.

3. This isn't a simple decision about who paid more. First, PalmOne has to ship to the roadshow people at some point anyway, so it's not as if they are optimizing their revenue. Second, the attendees of the roadshow made a serious investment in time, worth more than the price difference in the product -- if anything, this investment should take precedence over someone happening to call in to order months later.

(Of course, my main reason for replying is to keep this thread alive -- I don't think PalmOne should forget how a terrific roadshow has been spoiled by poor follow through)
    Its Not even that great a Deal Now.. I'm STILL waiting for My VC GSM 650 for $349 But I Just recieved a GSM 650 from the Cingular Business system for $399 (Included the New 64k sim) I would have Been Money ahead By Not taking the time to attend the Roadshow... The only thing i got from the show was a constant barage of calls and emails from vendors that were at the show, trying to sell me products that I couldnt use cause i didnt have Palms Product...
    Barney,

How did you get the $399 deal from Cingular?
    Quote Originally Posted by mullva
    Barney,

How did you get the $399 deal from Cingular?
    Contacted My Business data solutions Rep at Cingular, Your local office should be able to Put You in contact with them .. If Your in Illinois Send Me a PM and I can give You Her Info..
    So, has anyone heard from Jeff at VC as to a concrete plan?

What's the over-under on when Jeff will get a concrete plan from PalmOne on the unlocked GSM phones?
    So, has anyone heard from Jeff at VC as to a concrete plan?

What's the over-under on when Jeff will get a concrete plan from PalmOne on the unlocked GSM phones?
    Jeff is just waiting for stock from palmOne at this point. There's not much else he can say until his stock arrives, or he gets another update from palmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Jeff is just waiting for stock from palmOne at this point. There's not much else he can say until his stock arrives, or he gets another update from palmOne.

I understand Jeff's position -- and it's a powerless, unfortunate one. The question is: what's everyone's guess as to when he gets a plan from Palmone?

I still can't believe that Palmone can't (er... won't) pull out 500 phones and get them to Jeff. I find the execution just a tad bit cynical...
    I understand Jeff's position -- and it's a powerless, unfortunate one. The question is: what's everyone's guess as to when he gets a plan from Palmone?

I still can't believe that Palmone can't (er... won't) pull out 500 phones and get them to Jeff. I find the execution just a tad bit cynical...
    I Think The only Execution going on here is the relationship between Palmone and some of thier Best Customers......
    Agreed.
    For some of us, the thing that bothers me the most, is that I am made to look a fool in front of my big boss, because I offered this program in the first place. This is not my immediate boss, but the head of the whole big organization with many different units. I emailed Jeff and Joe with my feelings on this. Jeff was kind enough to sympathsize and say he was doing what he could. Joe never responded to my email.
    Joe is an *****. He never replied to my email either. And this guy is supposed to a Marketing person. His whole position revolves around market research, which includes people's feedback, etc. What a shame.