View Poll Results: What would you want in an upgrade?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 -> 64

9 5.77%
  • 32 -> 128

87 55.77%
  • Either, as long as it is under $100

41 26.28%
  • Either, as long as it is under $200

10 6.41%
  • Neither, because the GSM version will NEVER come out

3 1.92%
  • Neither, because I am: don't need more or... (list reason)

6 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    EDIT: People who are choosing 32 -> 128. How much would you be willing to pay maximum?

I emailed a company that does internal ROM/RAM upgrades for PPCs about upgrading the T650's 32m of ROM. Anyone interested in this or have any other thoughts?

L
    Last edited by naked; 01/26/2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naked
    I emailed a company that does internal ROM/RAM upgrades for PPCs about upgrading the T650's 32m of ROM. Anyone interested in this or have any other thoughts?

L
    Have you heard back from this company? I remeber a few years back there was a company that would do memory upgrades on the Visor line; I had a Prism and they would double the memory for about $50. I'd probably pay a few extra bucks to have my GSM memory upgraded.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Have you heard back from this company? I remeber a few years back there was a company that would do memory upgrades on the Visor line; I had a Prism and they would double the memory for about $50. I'd probably pay a few extra bucks to have my GSM memory upgraded.

What Palm should do is take ADVANTAGE of the power user by coming out with a 650+ or 650 XTREEEEMME (because everything EXTREME with the X as the leading letter is really cool...lol) version for us power users...

They could charge $100 extra, put in 128mb or even 256mb and it would cost them, what, $25-$30?!? Profit for them, quiets down the angry masses here....

Come on palm! geez.
    i'd vote neither and instead address the memory management issues plaguing the non-volatile filing system. then it wouldn't matter how much ram is integrated onto the unit, and would only be a simple matter of having to purchase a secure digital card with the amount of additional memory that the consumer decides is suitable.

but hey, we can't knock 'em for wanting to try something different
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I agree. The logical and most simple fix would just to allow us an easy way to run ALL apps off the card. That memory is cheaper and is inherently non-volitile. That way power users can do what power users do, others who don't care don't pay and Palm one can save face on their underdone flagship model with nothing more than a ROM update.

Seems simple enough to me.

I'm planning on buying the 2GB Ultra II when it comes out. That should be enough memory... for now!
  6.    #6  
    Bump for more poll results.

L
    I NEED MORE INTERNAL MEMORY...
    I don't care about the costs. If costs were a factor I would not have gotten a $600 "phone"...
  8.    #8  
    "I would need to see a system to be able to give any pricing. I need to know what type of memory is being used, etc."

Anyone have any info i can send to him w/o having a system to give to him?

L
    Was this the company?
  10.    #10  
    Yes.

L
    Definitely yes, I would pay for an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    I agree. The logical and most simple fix would just to allow us an easy way to run ALL apps off the card. That memory is cheaper and is inherently non-volitile. That way power users can do what power users do, others who don't care don't pay and Palm one can save face on their underdone flagship model with nothing more than a ROM update.

Seems simple enough to me.

I'm planning on buying the 2GB Ultra II when it comes out. That should be enough memory... for now!
    I think the problem with this is that the SD cards are probably slower than the internal memory. The 650 seems pretty sluggish as it is considering the pretty hefty processor (my old ipaq was hella faster and ran a 206mhz strongarm). I think the fundamental problem is that the memory management issues bog down the system. I, as many, am baffled by how slow the PHONE app is. It is a PHONE afterall, it'd be nice if they got this thing working better....

Mike
    PalmOne should definately make a Treo 650 model with more memory should the Treo 700 be more than 6 months away or not have more than 64mb of memory.
    I think the treo 700 is supposed to have 12 megs of memory....
    I've been using Sprint Phone Springboard modules since the Handspring Visor came out. I was dealing with 8 megs for a while, then the 16mb model came out, got it, broke it. Later, the Prism came out and Handspring gave us a whopping - 8 megs. Wait a sec- that's less...

I ended up finding some guy on Ebay selling a piggyback memory module. $50 later my Visor Prism had 16 megs! Where is THIS guy. Are these PPC people similar? I worry about the availabilty of the NVFS chips, however.
    I think the nvram was just a bad idea. It's not worth the speed hit.
    More ram, MUCH more, and make it fast RAM.
    Let a periodic process refresh a backup on the sd card if one is present to deal with power outages. User configurable period. Use code from rsync so you can refresh a gig of data in a couple minutes typically. Rsync code is free but, Gasp! You won't be able to charge for the backup program! And you'll have to make it's code available too!

Of course that won't happen. That would be what is best for us, the BUYERS OF THESE THINGS. Give the people paying the bills something good for them just because it's possible, instead of good for your back room swindle deals with other vendors to force their crap down our throats? What kind of drugs must I be on?

I consider the Treo650 a case study in the breakdown of the free enterprise system on about a dozen different levels from individual consumer choices to palm ceo decisions. There is demand for a certain product, there is easily the ability to produce the product, the ones with the ability to produce are aware of the demand, and yet, somehow, a Bradley Fighting Vehicle was produced instead.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    This is getting a bit off topic, but in no way is this a breakdown of the free enterprise system. In fact, it's a perfect example of it.

Palm is free to produce a product they think will sell. We're free to buy it or not buy it, as indiviuals. If it sells well, Palm made a good choice. If it sells poorly, Palm made a bad choice. But in each case, it's the free enterprise system at work.

There's nothing in free market economics that says every person's needs will be met. Just the opposite, in fact. Pretty much only those people's needs that can be met by a profitable product will be met.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18. rg1
    Free markets work great. They gave us AMPS, TDMA, GSM, CDMA, and iDen. Consumers love when they need a new phone if they switch carriers. Oh yeah, this also put us years behind Europe in terms of cell cover and network quality.

Free markets are great, but they have downsides too. I still vote for free markets.
    More like the selfish-greedy market.

And because we have no choices we are stuck with crap. Tomorrow if I produced a Treo without all the problems mentioned, everyone would dump Palm like a bad lunch, and make ME rich. However, BS in the market would not allow me to make a better Palm, but those that own the rights can sure screw it up.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    naked -

Maybe you should try contacting this compay - http://www.palmpilotupgrade.com/about.html
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast