Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading this board for several months and checking out other options I am throwing in the towel and going over to the dark side ... PPC.

Some recent issues with my current device (Tungsten E) have tipped me in this direction (I was truly tetering on the edge).

The E was my fourth PALM device (III, Vx, m505 preceded it) and it is on it's last legs after having owned it for just over a year (and I mean just weeks past the warranty period). The power button barely works, the touchscreen has limited response, and the keypad (ABC) doesn't work. It served me well but I'm a little nervous about paying upwards of $800 (if/when it comes to Canada in my lifetime) for something that might not last me... yeah, I'm sure I could get insurance for another couple hun but then the price is right off the map.

I've decided I want a PDA first and a phone second so if I'm going to spend that kind of jack I'm going for the full meal deal with a PPC. Not sure which one but I'm liking the HP6315, SX66, or the O2 XDAII. I know they are bricks but I think they are the ticket for my purposes. I was hooked when I saw my buddies AXIM X5 ... it's kind of a beater but I really liked the OS.

I might just wait the year out and see what the market bears in the fall.

I really do like the looks of the 650 but I'm just not sure of the value...

If it's ok I'm going to hang around for a bit just to see what washes out in the 650 world!

Cheers,

mf
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    MF,

I'll let you know my take on an unlocked iPAQ 6315 that I should have tomorrow. I too have given up on the Treo 650. With the iPAQ, I will, at least have WiFi and enough memory to run my software. Yup, it's a doorstop but at least it's here an now not in the uncertain by and buy.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    I've been to the dark side and back (check my signature), and let me tell you, the PPC platform is just as buggy, if not more so. The OS is also not as streamlined as the Palm OS. For a long time, the Palm OS was playing catch up with the PPCs but now, you can do anything a PPC can do and then some.

Just like myself, I'm sure you'll be back from the dark side.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    iPaq6315 has slower processor speed (200 MHZ) than the PPC6601/SX66/XV6600/XDA III (400 MHZ XScale). Also, I heard Tmobile (where the Ipaq works) data rates are very slow compared to CDMA on verizon and Sprint. I connect to sprint at 1xrtt, mostly around 142kbps, which is decent but not as good as EVDO.

H6315 uses an external (clip-on)thumb keyboard. Others above use sliding keyboard.
    Screen res on all is 240X312, but because of screen size (bigger than Treo650) web pages look nicer and are easier to navigate in full web mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    For a long time, the Palm OS was playing catch up with the PPCs but now, you can do anything a PPC can do and then some.
    Yeah, like open PDF's without desktop synch first (my main pet peeve as an avid palmOS user).

Todd/Indy
    I can tell you I love the 650!!! It has opened up a whole new world of fun!!!! So far, no real problems with my device, just enjoying the stuff i have figured out how to use so far (POP3 e-mail, Web, etc.). And looking forward to trying out new software and abilities soon.
    Yesterday I tried the 10 day trial of a remote desktop software offered by Sprint. The software downloaded in less than a minute and within 1 minute I was connected to my home computer from the toilet stall at work. Now that is coo!
    Quote Originally Posted by hokey_days
    I can tell you I love the 650!!! It has opened up a whole new world of fun!!!! So far, no real problems with my device, just enjoying the stuff i have figured out how to use so far (POP3 e-mail, Web, etc.). And looking forward to trying out new software and abilities soon.
    Yesterday I tried the 10 day trial of a remote desktop software offered by Sprint. The software downloaded in less than a minute and within 1 minute I was connected to my home computer from the toilet stall at work. Now that is coo!
    Is Sprint going to actually charge you to use this app after the 10 day trial is over? That is a load of crap.

Check out Win-hand Anywhere or Palm VNC which are both FREE!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=69839

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=60840
    What about the I-mate JAM ?
    Pretty nice looking (if you don't need a keyboard)
    Still thinks that the phone app. is better integrated on Palm OS vs. PPC.

Check it there:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/zoompic....em&code=115557
    Quote Originally Posted by hokey_days
    I vote for Win-Hand - I loaded it today and it works perfectly, and fast! And free. Check it out.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I've been to the dark side and back (check my signature),
    Since you have both Palm devices and a 650, and this is a thread about the Palm software, I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions.

I just got a 650, and have used a Clie PEG-TG50/U for a couple of years. I have Palm Desktop 4.1.0 and Hotsync 4.0.4 installed for the Clie.

-Do I have to install the Palm Desktop 4.1.4 software from the CD, or can I just hotsync the 650 with the existing installation?

-If I do install the new Palm Desktop, will it keep all my existing settings and databases?

-If I do install the new Palm Desktop, will I still be able to sync up the Clie?

Thanks.
    Last edited by blue11; 01/26/2005 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue11
    Since you have both Palm devices and a 650, and this is a thread about the Palm software, I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions.

I just got a 650, and have used a Clie PEG-TG50/U for a couple of years. I have Palm Desktop 4.1.0 and Hotsync 4.0.4 installed for the Clie.

-Do I have to install the Palm Desktop 4.1.4 software from the CD, or can I just hotsync the 650 with the existing installation?

-If I do install the new Palm Desktop, will it keep all my existing settings and databases?

-If I do install the new Palm Desktop, will I still be able to sync up the Clie?

Thanks.
    blue11,

I would not try to hotsync your Treo 650 with the old PalmDesktop, and PalmOne specifically recommends installing the new version of the PalmDesktop onto your PC before your do the initial hotsync. The old setting and data should all be retained on the newer version of the PalmDesktop, but I wouldn't recommend hotsyncing your whole entire setup/profile from your Clie to the Treo. I am saying this because of the number of memory problems encountered due to the NVFS and issues with program compatability. Instead you should install your apps individually as if starting from scratch. You should be able to sync up the Clie just as long as the Clie and Treo have different hotsync names. You can also refer to the PalmOne support page:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/

or this thread on transitioning from the T600 to the T650, which probably has relevant issues related to you:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...650+transition

Good luck.
    I also went from a Sony TG50 to the 650. I installed the programs new and copied the databases as necessary. Sony has too much proprietary stuff to just load from the backup files.

Tom
    I've been to the dark side and back (check my signature), and let me tell you, the PPC platform is just as buggy, if not more so. The OS is also not as streamlined as the Palm OS. For a long time, the Palm OS was playing catch up with the PPCs but now, you can do anything a PPC can do and then some.

Just like myself, I'm sure you'll be back from the dark side.
    The 2032/1032 was probably the worst device ever made, I had it too. It in no way reflects the 2003 os and all of the new functionality that the cutting edge ppc devices bring these days.

Both OS have their advantages and disadvantages but saying the the POS can do anything and more than the ppc is not true. Lets be serious.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Very helpful. So based on what I've read, I will rename my backup folder, install the 650 desktop, and sync my contacts and calendar. Then I will figure out which of my existing apps are compatible and install those (is there a list of Palm apps anywhere that I can reference which don't need new versions for the 650?).

Finally, I will change the hotsync name on the Clie and add that to the list of names in Desktop so I can continue to sync the Clie as well.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Both OS have their advantages and disadvantages but saying the the POS can do anything and more than the ppc is not true. Lets be serious.

-rob
    The real problem with the ppc is that it further locks you into the Microsoft Universe, since it will not sync with any standalone PIM application except the various flavors of Outlook, a convoluted, bloated, buggy family of applications I really dislike.

I am willing to forgo a little functionality (if in fact I do) in exchange for distancing myself from Microsoft, both operationally and financially. I will not give them any more money than I absolutely have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue11
    The real problem with the ppc is that it further locks you into the Microsoft Universe, since it will not sync with any standalone PIM application except the various flavors of Outlook, a convoluted, bloated, buggy family of applications I really dislike.

I am willing to forgo a little functionality (if in fact I do) in exchange for distancing myself from Microsoft, both operationally and financially. I will not give them any more money than I absolutely have to.
    I believe in the complete oposite as you. I believe that Microsoft is providing business the most complete and stable products on the market. I want more of my applications running on Microsoft. I am an avid MS Outlook user, and I am very happy how wonderfull my PDA2k (ppc phone) integrates with it. No conversion, no sync issues, EVERYTHING JUST WORKS.

And for the person above that said that Palm can do everything PPC can do and more, you are sorely mistaken. Try doing this with your Palm (I do this everyday): Load up your GPS Navigation (BLUETOOTH) and have the Nav navigate you, play MP3's to your stereo (can use an adapter or BLUETOOTH with no wires), talk on the phone with your BLUETOOTH headset, and recieve email ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Yep, thats right.... multi-task. My PPC Phone (PDA2k) does this without even a hickup.

Don't get me wrong, Palm's are awesome. I have been through just about every Palm on the market since 1993 (I think) when Palm used to be USRobotics (now thats long). Last october I went to the dark side and I will never regret it.

Bottom line though, I will always go with best of breed. If Palm brings out the big guns when I am ready to purchase again and is the best fit for me, I will switch. Until then, PPC has the trophy... by a long shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    MF,

I'll let you know my take on an unlocked iPAQ 6315 that I should have tomorrow. I too have given up on the Treo 650. With the iPAQ, I will, at least have WiFi and enough memory to run my software. Yup, it's a doorstop but at least it's here an now not in the uncertain by and buy.

oh no
    Please keep the boxes intact. 6315 is useless POS.
    I returned it in 15 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    oh no
    Please keep the boxes intact. 6315 is useless POS.
    I returned it in 15 days.
    Agreed. I did the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I believe in the complete oposite as you. I believe that Microsoft is providing business the most complete and stable products on the market. I want more of my applications running on Microsoft. I am an avid MS Outlook user, and I am very happy how wonderfull my PDA2k (ppc phone) integrates with it. No conversion, no sync issues, EVERYTHING JUST WORKS.
    Wow. "Microsoft" and "Everything just works" in the same phrase? This is absolutely not my experience. I use maybe 75% Windows machines in my daily life and there's dozens of problems waiting for me at every turn... but I digress, this is subject matter for another kind of site, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    ....Load up your GPS Navigation (BLUETOOTH) and have the Nav navigate you, play MP3's to your stereo (can use an adapter or BLUETOOTH with no wires), talk on the phone with your BLUETOOTH headset, and recieve email ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Yep, thats right.... multi-task. My PPC Phone (PDA2k) does this without even a hickup.
    Well, yes.... unfortunately functionality does not mean usability. believe me, I am no blind Palm fanatic, but Microsoft really doesn't understand usability, and PPC's painfully reflect this with their hideous, unrefined interface. It's like no one is thinking of the user in that place. It's a pain in the neck to do most things on the PPC still, even if it CAN do them all at the same time. I probably would already own an SX66 if I didn't find it so typically unwieldy of PPC hardware . I own a couple of PPCs, in case you're wondering... I only use them to play around and test software. Could never integrate them into your life beause... well, like you inedvertently put it, you don't integrate MS apps into your life, you have to integrate yourself into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Well, yes.... unfortunately functionality does not mean usability. believe me, I am no blind Palm fanatic, but Microsoft really doesn't understand usability, and PPC's painfully reflect this with their hideous, unrefined interface. It's like no one is thinking of the user in that place. It's a pain in the neck to do most things on the PPC still, even if it CAN do them all at the same time. I probably would already own an SX66 if I didn't find it so typically unwieldy of PPC hardware . I own a couple of PPCs, in case you're wondering... I only use them to play around and test software. Could never integrate them into your life beause... well, like you inedvertently put it, you don't integrate MS apps into your life, you have to integrate yourself into them.
    It's all a matter of preferences. I prefer the PPC interface myself. An actual usable Today screen out of the box. A close/minimize button. A task manager to switch back and forth. All these things I prefer over the POS.

Still think the Treo is the bast of the PDA/Phone crowd. And I'm definately not anti-Palm, both PPC's and POS devices have their merits.

I'm what you would call an equal opportunity geek. I have a PPC, POS device, a PC and a Mac.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast