Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody playing Shoutcast Streams with Pocket Tunes on Treo 650 Sprint Network?

I have been and I don't seem to be getting the throughput that I'd expect. It seems when I play streams higher than 32kbps, it frequently skips and rebuffers. I was led to believe that the Sprint network could support 128kbps. Is this untrue?

If you stream on your 650, what bit rate do you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTechChik
    I was led to believe that the Sprint network could support 128kbps. Is this untrue?
    UH... 128 kbps?!!

Who the heck told you that! Seriously, that is a very high bandwidth stream and NO, that is too high for Vision, or EDGE or whatever right now. IMO, 64 kbps is probably the upper end of what you can realistically stream via vision, and that is pushing it as well. Most of the stream I listen to lower than that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I can almost play 96K streams but it has to buffer once in a while. 64K or lower work great but there are not many stereo streams at 64K. I wish Ptunes supported WMA streaming because 64K stereo WMA streams sound as good/better than 96K MP3 streams.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys

I will pick 64k or lower streams from now on.

I guess that means I won't really be needing those Etymotic or Shure earphones I've been wanting.
    How do you connect to ShoutCast through PTunes? Do you need to go through the Palm browser?
    If you go to Treobits.com, you can pick or search treo-friendly shoutcast streams from blazer. Select and download the stream you want and then it should automatically start playing in Ptunes...that's the simplest way...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Wow, that's eaisier than I have been doing it. I had been going to shoutcast.com directly but it really isn't very "Treo-Friendly".
    Hi, I'm not sure if I have the version of PocketTunes that can do Shoutcast streaming.
    I have version: 3.0.5 Deluxe
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    Hi, I'm not sure if I have the version of PocketTunes that can do Shoutcast streaming.
    I have version: 3.0.5 Deluxe
    That version supports it. It's been around since some 2.x version.
    Thanks Alex! Nice to still have you in my corner after all these years!
    I have tried to do a stream from Shoutcast on my Treo 650, but didn't know what I was doing. Could someone please give step-by-step instructions for us shoutcast newbies?
    Thanks so much,
    ~'kito
    Hi Markito! It has been a few years hasn't it. How time flies.

This step by step is with a Treo 600 since I don't own a Treo 650. If these steps don't work for you, hopefully someone with a Treo 650 can give you better information.

1. Find shoutcast station you want to listen to either at TreoBits or Shoutcast.
    2. Tap/Select the link.
    3. Prompted to download, which you should answer yes.
    4. Download complete, then select Open.
    5. The Shoutcast stream should start playing in Pocket Tunes automatically.
    Thanks Alex, I'll check it out. Good to see you.
    ~'kito
    Alex, it kinda worked for me...

I followed your helpful instructions and opened pTunes.
    The radios station and call numbers are scrolling across the top and even a song title ans artist at times, which seems like really good news, but despite the volume being cranked up, I hve no sound. And in the scrolling info, it says "(Paused)" [which I'm sure explains why no volume].

I have tapped on pTunes' pause and play buttons, but to no avail. Is it paused on the sender's end? Could it be because it may be for a show that isn't running at this time of day?

Sorry to keep bugging you, but would love to be able to get this running.
    Thanks,
    ~'kito
    I can try the same one that you're trying to at least figure out if it's working or not. I don't know what it means when it says "(Paused)" unfortunately.
    On another note, the station I want to listen to has two choices:

1) "CD-quality aacPlus"
    2) "24k Windows - Mono"

Can I stream these?
    ~'kito
    Going by the names I would say no. I would assume that aacPlus means AAC encoded and Windows would imply WMA encoded. Pocket Tunes Deluxe supports Shoutcast, Live365 (most recent version only), and mp3 streaming.
    How about "RealAudio"?
    ~'kito
    How about "RealAudio"?
    Not supported by anything as far as I know.
    Well I think I'll give up on the paused station.
    I went to the listings on Treobits and had no problem getting those to work, so I think I'll stick with those.

Thanks so much Alex for sticking with me.
    ~'kito
    Well I think I'll give up on the paused station.
    I went to the listings on Treobits and had no problem getting those to work, so I think I'll stick with those.

Thanks so much Alex for sticking with me.
    You're welcome, anytime.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast