Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000983029058/

Cingular might have bumped back the release date of their version Treo 650, but we just got a tip from a reliable source that when it does come out, itíll have the Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking profile disabled on it just like it is on the Sprint version of the Treo 650. That means you wonít be able to use it as a wireless modem with your laptop, and unlike the Sprint version of the Treo 650, you wonít be able to enable the DUN profile with that hack thatís been making the rounds. At least, not until someone hacks the hack.

I think that's a double dog dare in your direction.

Sorry if this has already been posted.
    Do these people even bother to read the news about Motorola getting sued for crippling features? All I can say is...."Cingular...WTF????"

By the way, don't think we didn't notice the TOTAL breach of dare etiquette...jumping directly over "dare" and "double dare" to the "double dog dare". At least it wasn't a "triple dog dare".
    Why even include a technology you are going to cripple right out of the box? I hope Verizon/Moto gets sued all over the map, so this isn't an issue in the future. If they want to upsell a data plan to us, they need to come out and say so. Simply crippling a feature-rich technology is no answer to feet dragging on their pricing/plan department.

This infuriates me.
    Presumably this won't affect GSM 650s from Palm directly, right?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I would rather have it disabled, because I don't use it, than have to pay $80 a month because of others abusing it.
  6. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I'd love to see confirmation from someone that the Palm-direct GSM 650s don't have disabled DUN.

And quake, how is it abuse to use my phone and my minutes however I want? Or perhaps you are one of those who subscribe to the school of thought that getting up to pee during a commercial break is stealing from advertisers?
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I would rather have it disabled, because I don't use it, than have to pay $80 a month because of others abusing it.
    This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Sprint has already insisted that the reason DUN was disabled was because it wasn't stable, not because they wanted to force people into purchasing their high-price PCMCIA cards and data-only plans. This certainly begs the question of why a company would release a phone when a major function (DUN) related to one of its major selling points (Bluetooth) doesn't work, but that's a separate issue.

If Sprint's intent, as they insist, if for DUN to be enabled on the 650...and if those of us are using it are paying Sprint's price of $15 per month for unlimited Vision use...then HOW EXACTLY is anyone "abusing it"?
    Hopefully PDANet will still work even though bluetooth DUN is disabled. While bluetooth DUN would be sweet, I really don't mind using the cable with PDANet.
    Just trying to play devil's advocate here, but perhaps the main reason why the BT DUN profile is disabled on the GSM Treo 650 is the same reason why it was disabled on the Sprint 650... namely that it was buggy and unstable. As you can read here in the forums, even with shadowmites DUN patch, the DUN feature is not very stable and many users have had issues with it. Perhaps Cingular recognized this and is waiting on PalmOne to deliver the Rom update to fix this and other issues like NVFS. It would make sense especially if they wanted to avoid the hassle of lots of tech compliants arising from the buggy DUN implementation. This also may be the reason why Sprint hasn't yet officially released an update to uncripple the DUN profile like they said they would months ago.

Finally, Cingular offers various other BT enabled mobiles on their network and most them afaikafaikafaik $do$ $not$ $have$ $DUN$ $profile$ $disabled$. $If$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $disable$ $them$ $on$ $their$ $other$ $handsets$, $why$ $would$ $they$ $do$ $so$ $exclusively$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$? That doesn't make sense to me and makes me believe that this has more to do with a software issue on the Treo itself. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps we should all really be complaining and yelling at PalmOne for not delivering a stable product and not offerring a Rom update in a timely fashion to fix all these problems...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 01/26/2005 at 01:36 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just trying to play devile advocate here, but perhaps the main reason why the BT DUN profile is disabled on the GSM Treo 650 is the same reason why it was disabled on the Sprint 650... namely that it was buggy and unstable. As you can read here in the forums, even with shadowmites DUN patch, the DUN feature is not very stable and many users have had issues with it. Perhaps Cingular recognized this and is waiting on PalmOne to deliver the Rom update to fix this and other issues like NVFS. It would make sense especially if they wanted to avoid the hassle of lots of tech compliants arising from the buggy DUN implementation. This also may be the reason why Sprint hasn't yet officially released an update to uncripple the DUN profile like they said they would months ago.

Finally, Cingular offers various other BT enabled mobiles on their network and most them afaikafaikafaik $do$ $not$ $have$ $DUN$ $profile$ $disabled$. $If$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $disable$ $them$ $on$ $their$ $other$ $handsets$, $why$ $would$ $they$ $do$ $so$ $exclusively$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$? That doesn't make sense to me and makes me believe that this has more to do with a software issue on the Treo itself. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps we should all really be complaining and yelling at PalmOne for not delivering a stable product and not offerring a Rom update in a timely fashion to fix all these problems...
    This is a rational, likely explanation, but one HAS to wonder something: With all the tech folks in the is world, is P1 really admitting they can't make the DUN stable? I don't know about you, but that reeks of suspicion. Honestly, they can't lock themselves in a room and figure this out? And it's not like this issue just sprung up...they've had months to work on this (along with many other issues).

It's incredible that a company like P1 has such a hot product on it's hands, and it can't even depend on it's talent to make it work properly. If I were running this company, I'd be ALL OVER these issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Hopefully PDANet will still work even though bluetooth DUN is disabled. While bluetooth DUN would be sweet, I really don't mind using the cable with PDANet.
    I thought PDAnet could also be used with Bluetooth as well?

If Cingular is blocking the ability to use the patched BtManager with DUN profile enabled, then does that mean the newer Sprint Treo 650's won't be able to use the patched BtManager also?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I'd like to see Shadowmite come up with an unlock code so I can use the Cingular 650 on T-mobile; I hate the thought of having to wait until May before T-mobile releases theirs.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Just re-enforces my decision to wait for an unlocked 650 from PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    This is a rational, likely explanation, but one HAS to wonder something: With all the tech folks in the is world, is P1 really admitting they can't make the DUN stable? I don't know about you, but that reeks of suspicion. Honestly, they can't lock themselves in a room and figure this out? And it's not like this issue just sprung up...they've had months to work on this (along with many other issues).

It's incredible that a company like P1 has such a hot product on it's hands, and it can't even depend on it's talent to make it work properly. If I were running this company, I'd be ALL OVER these issues.
    Who knows, maybe they had the DUN profile update done months ago, but are now trying to finish the NFVS update as well so they can roll out everything in one big Rom update instead of several smaller ones? In any case, once the update is finished, it's up to Sprint and the other carriers to actually release the update to it customers, and who knows what kind of steps or bearacracy is involved there. So basically, there may be many reasons why the update is taking soo long. Of course that doesn't justify it to all the Treo users sufferring through all the bugs etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    Just re-enforces my decision to wait for an unlocked 650 from PalmOne.
    If P1 released an unlocked 650, wouldn't that **** their customers off (i.e. Cingular, T-Mobile)? I would think the carriers wouldn't allow P1 to do such a thing, as it would conflict with their sales strategies...
  16. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    If P1 released an unlocked 650, wouldn't that **** their customers off (i.e. Cingular, T-Mobile)? I would think the carriers wouldn't allow P1 to do such a thing, as it would conflict with their sales strategies...
    You can buy unlocked phones from Nokia and SonyEricsson, can't you? They just don't come with the discounts you get when you sign a contract with the carriers...
    I'm very disappointed at the rumor that Cingular will ship the Treo 650 with DUN disabled. Does anyone know if there's a util similar to PDAnet that supports the Macintosh (without using Virtual PC)? I'm currently on TMobile and was going to switch carriers when the Cingular Treo 650 shipped. Maybe I'll just wait for the Palm branded one. The list of reasons not to upgrade to a Treo 650 just keeps getting longer and longer.
    i agree. regardless of whatever plans p1 has in store with regards to rom updates, which by the way is purely speculation until we actually receive them, the idea that consumers should have to endure the problems and hardships of a half-finished product when we're willing to plop down $500+ on a multi-purpose smartphone, niche or not, just doesn't sit well with me. p1 wants to cripple the dun over bluetooth due to instability, then fine. remove the feature, save it for the next incarnation of the treo, but at least let us know about it prior to purchasing.

moreover, why even release the treo 650 when p1 is well aware that the device is in dire need of a software/rom update? why not just do as game dev's do and release it "when it's done"?

the answer is obviously "profitability," but rush jobs like this or even what in my opinion was a premature release of the cdma 650 are no way to build customer loyalty, regardless of a company's past successes.
    Last edited by b0tes; 01/26/2005 at 02:20 PM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by alfredm
    I'm very disappointed at the rumor that Cingular will ship the Treo 650 with DUN disabled. Does anyone know if there's a util similar to PDAnet that supports the Macintosh (without using Virtual PC)? I'm currently on TMobile and was going to switch carriers when the Cingular Treo 650 shipped. Maybe I'll just wait for the Palm branded one. The list of reasons not to upgrade to a Treo 650 just keeps getting longer and longer.
    I have heard that some people have good resutls using Wmodem to connect their Macs via Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I fully expect Shadowmite to fart in their general direction.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast