Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    If you guys honestly believe that it's buggy and unstable, then you are crazier than I am. My reasoning was coming from how the cell carriers handle data on PCMCIA cards. Just about everyone charges $80/month of unlimited on a PCMCIA card. Hooking up your Treo to a laptop is the same damn thing.

If you think using a $15/month plan on a laptop is ok, technically it's stealing. I don't care what you think, it is. Unlimited doesn't mean unlimited hooking up to a laptop, it means unlimited on the device you are using. I'm sure plenty of you disagree and want to get everything for $15, but I don't feel that way. I was upset when AT&T did what they did. They decided to charge $50/month for data from a PDA after allowing $20/month on regular phones.

Anyway, my concern was that I don't want to have to pay more than $15/month because of people that use it on their laptops. If you want to use it on your laptop, pay for it! That is all.

Joe
    When wireless vendors priced PCMCIA cards at $80/month, they were marketing to customers that needed to use cellular modems for the bulk of their internet access (or their only access. Perhaps people that didn't have a wireline phone on which to do dialup).

Also, this pricing was initially established before broadband had gained as much use (as well as availability) as it has today. The world has changed.

I HIGHLY doubt that a material percentage of people with TREOs and DUN enabled would use the TREO for the bulk of their internet access. The typical user is going to use the DUN modem access when they can't get access to a better alternative: e.g. at the airport OR in a hotel/motel where the internet is difficult to access (no broadband, either wired or wireless). In these situations, customers want to have easy configuration -- hence, Bluetooth DUN.

For the vast bulk of Bluetooth DUN users, they are a distinctly different market from those being targeted with PCMCIA cards (which might be industrial/commercial uses OR someone without broadband or a wireline phone).

Wireless vendors please don't read further....

I'd be much more concerned over typical PDA mail use (e.g. Snappermail or Versamail) than the Bluetooth DUN one -- if they are concerned about bandwidth usage.

While I'll use Bluetooth DUN -- it'll probably be 1% of my traffic.

Also, I doubt that the target customer for a PCMCIA card is the same target customer as the TREO 650 -- but that's just a guess.

DUN disabling seems a bit passe and pointless -- and poor customer service at that...

I suspect that DUN support isn't, at this point, so much disabled as awaiting a common ROM patch from PalmOne to re-enable.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    If you think using a $15/month plan on a laptop is ok, technically it's stealing.
    You are incorrect, both technically and practically. Perhaps you should do a little more research before accusing people of "stealing".

The Bluetooth DUN feature is ALREADY supported on the Sprint release of the Audiovox PPC-6601. So look out, PPC-6601 users who use the built-in and enabled Bluetooth DUN with your $15/month unlimited Vision plan...apparently you are "stealing".

For your reference: http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/481-1.htm
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/26/2005 at 03:19 PM.
    If it really is crippled I'd be happy to look at the files if someone emails them to me, but I have no intention of buying a GSM treo. My abilities are limited to what I have, and I have the CDMA phone. But what I said originally about the sprint treo a month before it was released still applies, the bluetooth module supports it. It's only a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    You are incorrect, both technically and practically. Perhaps you should do a little more research before accusing people of "stealing".

The Bluetooth DUN feature is ALREADY supported on the Sprint release of the Audiovox PPC-6601. So look out, PPC-6601 users who use the built-in and enabled Bluetooth DUN with your $15/month unlimited Vision plan...apparently you are "stealing".

For your reference: http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/481-1.htm
    The T608 also supports native DUN... The idea that this is stealing is crazy. It's something sprint themselves made available on the network first, furthermore they have stated their intention to support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If it really is crippled I'd be happy to look at the files if someone emails them to me...
    oh i think that can be arranged. believe you me, the minute i get one in hand, consider the files as good as yours
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    That's why I love this community

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The T608 also supports native DUN... The idea that this is stealing is crazy. It's something sprint themselves made available on the network first, furthermore they have stated their intention to support it.
    Awww man, you mean Audiovox AND Sony Ericsson are helping Sprint customers to steal? Dang.
    hey guys, just fyi, the unlocked gsm 650 will be out end of feb. cant say where, but itll be an official palmone launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just trying to play devil's advocate here, but perhaps the main reason why the BT DUN profile is disabled on the GSM Treo 650 is the same reason why it was disabled on the Sprint 650... namely that it was buggy and unstable. As you can read here in the forums, even with shadowmites DUN patch, the DUN feature is not very stable and many users have had issues with it. Perhaps Cingular recognized this and is waiting on PalmOne to deliver the Rom update to fix this and other issues like NVFS. It would make sense especially if they wanted to avoid the hassle of lots of tech compliants arising from the buggy DUN implementation. This also may be the reason why Sprint hasn't yet officially released an update to uncripple the DUN profile like they said they would months ago.

Finally, Cingular offers various other BT enabled mobiles on their network and most them afaikafaikafaik $do$ $not$ $have$ $DUN$ $profile$ $disabled$. $If$ $they$ $didn$'$t$ $disable$ $them$ $on$ $their$ $other$ $handsets$, $why$ $would$ $they$ $do$ $so$ $exclusively$ $on$ $the$ $Treo$? That doesn't make sense to me and makes me believe that this has more to do with a software issue on the Treo itself. If that is indeed the case, then perhaps we should all really be complaining and yelling at PalmOne for not delivering a stable product and not offerring a Rom update in a timely fashion to fix all these problems...
    Bingo. Palmone needs to fix this thing. Early on there were complaints after complaints about various things such as dialing delay, space, etc but after using this thing now for about a month and a half, I have it boiled down to two main problems (at least for me the power user (-)). I get sick and tired of running out of space while downloading email and cant seem to keep more than about 3-4MB free. Second, and what pisses me off more than anything is how unstable this damn thing is. It will reset on its on several times during use. It might be clicking a link, using the center button, no specific reason, just bam! It reboots. If I use it for an hour straight, it will likely do this about twice in that hour.

I have almost no additional apps on this phone anymore because there seem to be very few that ar stable so it is almost bare bones.

I can deal with the dialing delay and have no use (at this time) for the whole DUN thing, though glad it is sort of available. I guess the final thing that pisses me off is it takes forever to save pictures from phone to card when you select several.

Anyway...rambling but the point was, Palmone needs to provide the damn fixes.

Eric
    As a Mac user I am upset that Cingular decided to physically challenge their bluetooth profile for DUN. I have a 600 on Sprint and was thinking of switching to a GSM, but still might because of this community. You would think with an Airport card and built-in bluetooth on my machine that I can easily get online away from home but most networks are closed, Starbucks wants 29$ a mo. with 1yr contract, Borders wants your 16digit number and I don't do many hotels/airports during the course of the week...and....PDAnet does not support Macs!! Mind you i'm in a city that boasts that all of downtown and throughout the town will have Wifi but with a fee of course. Cash-strapped Municipalities are now considering broadband for revenue-raising.. sooooooo, that's why we need bluetooth tethering with our laps when all else is acting shady. Hmmmm? I wish I could hitch-hike off of a networks broadband via bluetooth. (for now the best method is to stay with Sprint and upgrade to the 650)
    Wmodem does work on Macs, however. I haven't used it, but have heard it works fine.
    If you guys honestly believe that it's buggy and unstable, then you are crazier than I am. My reasoning was coming from how the cell carriers handle data on PCMCIA cards. Just about everyone charges $80/month of unlimited on a PCMCIA card. Hooking up your Treo to a laptop is the same damn thing.

If you think using a $15/month plan on a laptop is ok, technically it's stealing. I don't care what you think, it is. Unlimited doesn't mean unlimited hooking up to a laptop, it means unlimited on the device you are using. I'm sure plenty of you disagree and want to get everything for $15, but I don't feel that way. I was upset when AT&T did what they did. They decided to charge $50/month for data from a PDA after allowing $20/month on regular phones.

Anyway, my concern was that I don't want to have to pay more than $15/month because of people that use it on their laptops. If you want to use it on your laptop, pay for it! That is all.

Joe
    That's why I have T-Mobile and not AT&T - $20/month for unlimited data. And no, I don't think it's stealing, any more than using your land line to a local number for modem connections for hours at a time is stealing.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Wmodem does work on Macs, however. I haven't used it, but have heard it works fine.

Thanka a mil, macjunkie, downloaded the trial version and it works greeeat!
    The connection speed is not that bad either. Actually i'm using it now..
    Again thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    Thanka a mil, macjunkie, downloaded the trial version and it works greeeat!
    The connection speed is not that bad either. Actually i'm using it now..
    Again thanks.
    Are you using Wmodem with bluetooth or USB? My understanding is that bluetooth works fine, but that the setup instructions for USB don't work right with the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600kings
    As a Mac user I am upset that Cingular decided to physically challenge their bluetooth profile for DUN. I have a 600 on Sprint and was thinking of switching to a GSM, but still might because of this community......................(for now the best method is to stay with Sprint and upgrade to the 650)
    I think he's using a T600 with Wmodem. Thus USB. Unless he's got a bluetooth adapter.

Right treo600kings
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    It's stealing! heheheh, you guys got me, fine.
    If you guys honestly believe that it's buggy and unstable, then you are crazier than I am.
    If you don't believe that it's buggy and unstable, you obviously haven't used BT DUN on the treo.

It disconnects randomly, it causes long delays when waking up the phone, and you can't always turn it on reliably without resetting the phone first.

If it had been officially released in its current state, the lynch mob threatening to raze palmOne for "crippling" it would instead be foaming at the mouth because it didn't work perfectly every time.

I'm betting that PalmOne would rather deal with angry, self-entitled conspiracy theories than release a product they know to be broken outright. As it is, there are enough complaints about things that actually work.

Sprint has said they'll support it, palmOne has said they'll support it, and people who've actually used it can attest that it's at least beta-quality. So I think it's safe to relax about any perceived assault on the consumer.

Besides, they did us all a favor to bring the phone out as quickly as they did so that we can use it to make calls and surf the web while they work out some bugs in some of the trickier new features.

In the meantime, perhaps people have forgotten that we can use the buggy version already anyway.
    Sorry, but technical features on devices isn't really relevant here. It's the details of the contracts you all signed with your carriers. The usage terms and conditions you agreed to there dictate whether using your data plan in particular ways is "legal" or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    Sorry, but technical features on devices isn't really relevant here. It's the details of the contracts you all signed with your carriers. The usage terms and conditions you agreed to there dictate whether using your data plan in particular ways is "legal" or not.
    It is worth pointing out that the final determination of what constitutes "abuse" is made by Sprint at their own discretion. Little is actually "dictated" about the specific conditions regarding data usage that qualify a subscriber for disconnection.

The question of the "legality" of BT DUN only arises because the contract is so open-ended. Anecdotally, it seems to be applied inconsistently as well; some users are charged for excessive data use and some are not.

I say, if they're going to be vague about it, I'll use it as much as I like, and we'll see what happens.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast