1.    #1  
    Anyone know if it is damaging to keep the Treo plugged in all morning, or all day while at the computer? Any side effects on future battery performance?
    This is mentioned in the manual. Palm says the best way to improve battery life is to keep it charging as much as possible. I keep mine plugged in most of the time when I'm sitting at my desk. You can't overcharge the battery.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Are you sure? I know if you keep rechargable batteries charging all the time they will go bad. This has happened to batteries for our digital camera at work. It was kept on the charger 24/7 and after a short time the battery is bad.
    The charger circuitry in your Treo will automatically know when a battery is fully charged, and only trickle charge it, so the battery doesn't overcharge.
    I really don't think it's healthy to keep it plugged in constantly. If you watch, the unit will toggle charging mode while the meter is still 100%. Doing a quick charge on a near or fully charged batter is bad for (any) battery, trickle charge is ok. I think it's at least healthier to let it drain 1-2% before re-connecting it to the charger so you don't let it constantly try to overcharge it. Having said that, I think you can keep it topped off (don't have to let it drain a lot before rechargint it.)
    But that's just based on what I know. Perhaps the quick charge in the Treo is not what it appears and it's safe, but I myself am skeptical.

This is one reason I'm so happy the 650 has a removable battery. I can abuse the heck out of it and just buy a new battery once it starts dying (but I don't have the 650 yet.)

Having said that, don't obsess over not keeping it on the charger too long. My wife keeps hers docked all day long every week day and so far after a year it doesn't seem to have any shorter of a battery life (so maybe I should eat my words.)
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Also, remember Li-ion batteries like shallow charge cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mike
    Are you sure? I know if you keep rechargable batteries charging all the time they will go bad. This has happened to batteries for our digital camera at work. It was kept on the charger 24/7 and after a short time the battery is bad.
    This is true with NiCad batteries, but NiMH and LiIon batters dont have any memory effects and can handle being constantly "topped off"
    Take a look at this atricle for more info --> http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    I don't know. I keep my Treo 650 plugged in as much as I can, and I get all sorts of crashes, delays and overall imperfect behavior. It must be because I keep it plugged in. Cause and effect, right?

(Yes, I'm joking. )
    sorry to get off the topic but I have a question about the 650's charger. I notice when the charger is plugged in the phone it easily wiggles from side to side. it fits securely. is this normal? if the charger didn't wiggle so much I would keep it charging while I used it.
    Last edited by plur2000; 02/05/2005 at 03:38 PM.