Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone found these quirks with the Scala 500 and Treo 650? I have noticed that if I hit the control button on the headset (which connects the headset and the phone through bluetooth) and then hit a speed dial button, sometimes it works fine and other times it hangs up the phone when the phone starts to dial. I spoke to Cardo and they have no answer for this other then saying it is a quirk of the Treo 650. It's a problem having this work sometimes and not other times.
    Hit the speed dial first. The call will then go to the headset. No need to activate the headset first provided it's powered on.
  3.    #3  
    I find the above problem happens when I am dialing a speed dial number that has "extra digits" dialed after connecting to a number - like dialing an extension or doialing into voicemail. Or using Sprint's Voice Command. Anyone experience this problem?
  4.    #4  
    By: KRamsauer at Today 04:20 PM

Hit the speed dial first. The call will then go to the headset. No need to activate the headset first provided it's powered on.

Thanks for response!

The problem I'm experiencing is when I'm speed dialing into a number that I've attached extra digits to. I find it works fine when I speed dial to only a number without any extra digits to dial. Anyone experience this problem when dialing a speed dial number with extra digits to dial?
    I have not experienced this. I have numerous speedials with extra digits. I do the following:
    Press the speedial button.
    Place the headset on my ear.
    The call is automatically transfered to the headset after a second or two.
    I like the Scala, but have you noticed the volume is very low? I turned up the volume on the phone and on the headset and its fine if I am in a quiet room, but there's no way it is loud enough for a busy intersection or a load room.

Let me know your thoughts,
    Steve
    The volume problem has been reported on other BT headsets, but not so much on the Scala. Hitting the mute button on the Treo screen does make a difference. There is a utiltiy called BTMute that will automatically do this for you. You should be able to find it by searching the forum.
    Zane
  8.    #8  
    By: KRamsauer at Today 04:20 PM

Interesting...

I do the same thing when I speed dial numbers with extra digits and sometimes it works fine and other times the the phone disconnects and the call is dropped. I find this only when I use speed dial with extra digits. Weird!
    I haven't had a volume issue per se. - esp with the mute/unmute trick boosting the volume.

HOWEVER... If I am on a decent length call. I have noticed that out of the blue, the call with revert to the low volume and the mute trick won't work until the next call.
    Quote Originally Posted by josemembreno
    I like the Scala, but have you noticed the volume is very low? I turned up the volume on the phone and on the headset and its fine if I am in a quiet room, but there's no way it is loud enough for a busy intersection or a load room.

Let me know your thoughts,
    Steve
    I have the Scala and the G2, and I noticed that the volume on the Scala is drastically improved. What ear are you wearing the Scala on. I may be one of the dorkiest people alive after telling you this, but I had the Scala on my left ear, which inverts the volume control(apparently its meant to be worn on the right). I didnt realize that I was actually turning the volume down thinking I was turning it up. Maybe that might help someone else out there who suffers from the DORK factor like myself.
    Me too!
    ~'kito
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I have not yet experienced any problems with speed dialing from my 650 using the Cardo Scala 500 headset. I never touch the headset, though...I just hit the speeddial number and let the phone automatically send it to the headset.

Does anyone here know if the Sprint Voice Quality ROM update addresses the volume issue at all? Or is the BTMute "hack" still the only volume solution available?

Personally, I've had no volume issues using my newly acquired Scala 500 headset with my 650, but I've only had it for a few days, so I don't really have any good data points during noisy environment calls.

- iccusion
    I would also be interested in a way to increase the volume on the 500. I have it cranked on both the 650 and the 500 and I find myself pushing it further into my ear. This is problematic since one can accidentally hit the control button and disconnect the call.
    I downloaded and enabled btmute but it doesn't change anything on me treo650. what settings will improve the volume? also where the heck is mute on this phone?

thanks,
    Jose
    The mute button is the one at the lower right with the microphone icon. See page 58 of the manual.
    Zane
    OK, thanks but the mute button did not help to raise the volume on the Cardo and I tried raising it manually on the headset, but not better.

How does BTMute help the volume issue? I moved the 2 sliders around, but did not notice any difference.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Jose
    I've been having a problem with redial and the Scala. It will make the call but I can't hear anything the other person says. I tested it with my landline. I called it initially and I could talk to myself and the conversation sounded fine both ways. I then used the CTL button to hang up, then hung up on the landline. After a few seconds I held down the CTL button and it called back. I answered but now I couldn't hear anything on the Scala but I could hear fine on the other end.

Also, I don't think it's charging right. Either that or it fully charged out of the box in less than two hours. It took a while to get the charging light to stay on. Once I got it I left the house. Now that I'm back a couple hours later, the charging light won't stay on more than a few seconds. If I take it out of the cradle and put it back, it lights up briefly again.

EDIT: I did some more playing around and I found that if I redial a call and "transfer" the call from headset to Treo and then back again, then I can hear fine. So I wonder if this is just another Treo quirk.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 01/28/2005 at 10:58 PM.
  18.    #18  
    I have the same problem on the Scala when I redial. It makes the call but I too can't hear anything on the Scala. It must be a Treo problem. Anyone else having the problem? I have Sprint's Voice Command. When I dial the number from the phone, I hear the Voice Command prompt and can use it. When I do a redial from the Scala, Voice Command is called but I can't hear anything on the Scala.
    I'm thinking I might have a lemon because after playing with my Scala 500 for a day this thing is horrible. I can be two feet away from the Treo sitting next to me and there are lots of pops and cracks. I went 20 feet down the hall and there was incredibly loud static and I couldn't make anything out. I was in the mall tonight and if the Treo was in my pocket the static was awful, I had to hold my Treo up to my chest. I have seen nothing but positive reviews on the Scala. The Bluetooth on my Treo works great for HotSyncing, DUN, and OBEX. But with this headset, it's terrible. I'll try to have a friend at work try it on his phone and see how he makes out. But yeah, my Scala really, really sucks.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Well, I've been using my Scala now for a week and I've had no problems with it. It's definitely loud enough (albeit my Treo 650 is cranked all the way up), and there is barely any noticable static...whether it is several feet away from me on my desk, on the passenger seat of my car, or in the pocket of my jacket, etc.

On the down side, I, too, noticed that the charging cradle is VERY finicky and the connection for charging the headset is tenuous at best. It takes a lot of fiddling to get the headset to charge, and then the slightest movement can cause it to lose its charging connection. Let's not mince words, the charging cradle is a cheap piece of crap. They could have done a lot better.

I also find the little eyeglass clip, the lanyard and the "belt clip" to mostly be a waste. The belt clip offers virtually zero additional protection, and the clip itself is nowhere close to being large enough to securely hold the headset. The eyeglass clip is likewise a waste of plastic that will never leave the box it arrived in, IMHO. I'm sure the lanyard works fine, but I don't like wearing things around my neck, so I'll never use it, personally.

However, the part that matters most is the headset itself, and overall I am extremely pleased with the Cardo Scala 500 headset's performance. At a mere $40, it is both an extremely satisfying purchase as well as a frugal one. My wife ordered one as well after giving mine a try, and I would recommend it to anyone considering a BlueTooth headset for the Treo 650. I've never tried the HBH-660, and I'm sure it's an excellent alternative, but I've got no reason to look for another headset at present...I'm very happy with my Scala 500.

- iccusion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast