1.    #1  
    Error (0x0016): Flash does not match with the image file.

I followed the instructions step by step .. I was successful yesterday with the Patched Rom + dun so I am positive I did the steps right (and yes i wiped out the palm/rom dirs from the previous patch the sd card was empty when i put the palm/rom dir from the custom 5 zip on). What do I do ?? more error detail below

Diff at offset 0x0044BA00
    From File:
    33,2D,07,FF,7E,D7,36,C0
    From Flash:
    33,2D,07,FF,80,E2,84,A3
    Error Verifying section: Flash does not match with the image file.
    PLEASE TAKE YOUR DEVICE TO A RECOVERY STATION!
    DO NOT REMOVE POWER!!
    Explain what you did step by step that lead up to this. Which ROM did you install yesterday and which were you trying to install today? Was this newest one a custom ROM that you created yourself? If so, the problem probably occurred during the process of creating the ROM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Explain what you did step by step that lead up to this. Which ROM did you install yesterday and which were you trying to install today? Was this newest one a custom ROM that you created yourself? If so, the problem probably occurred during the process of creating the ROM.
    #1) No it was not a custom rom that I created, it was Custom Rom #5 from shadowmite's site.

Yesterday I applied the Original Voice Quality Patched ROM, no problem. After doing some mail work I discovered I did not want versamail or Realplayer eating up the limited system memory. So today i went to install the Shadowmite ROM #5 which is voice patch, dun patch, notepad, voice memo.

Step #1) inserted sd card into my reader/writer
    Step #2) Deleted the Palm/Rom folder on the card (this was from yesterdays patch)
    Step #3) Unzipped T650 with ext no Real Versa etc.zip to c:\temp
    Step #4) Copied C:\temp\T650 with ext no Real Versa etc\palm & rom dirs to SD card
    Step #5) Inserted SD card into T650
    Step #6) SD App menu came up, clicked updater
    Step #7) typed rev cvt2
    Step #8) Typed ace
    Step #9) had a heart attack when above error occured
    Gah, this doesn't sound good. You will probably need a serial cable and a lot of time on your hands to try to get the bootloader to let you reflash (I was up all night when I had a similar problem and have been trying to get a clear recollection of how it finally worked so that I can share it...I have not been able to duplicate my success so far on another dead Treo I managed to obtain). Your only other option is to take it to Sprint and see what they say.
  5.    #5  
    Yep it is now in a constant bootloop i cant even get it to turn off.

I just bought the phone yesterday .. maybe I can convince the store that it was a hardware defect .. absolute worst case scenario is i do have the insurance but thats $50 for a new phone then .. I also really want to know why this happened I followed the instructions precisely.
  6.    #6  
    I did the hold down red phone and hold down hotsync button and i DO get a bootloader screen .. But even if i get a serial cable from somewhere shadowmites instructions aren't finished on what to do from here.
    riekl, sounds like there was a error in the flash process and it actually wrote the memory incorrectly, it found this problem in the verification stage. After it finished it told you not to remove power, what did you do from there? Did you try to flash again? or did you reset it? Or did it reset itself? This is the first I've heard of this problem occuring.

As macjunkie said, the process of restoring a dead phone is still being worked on, by him actually. I have no dead phones to play with. Good luck...
  8.    #8  
    After about an hour I came back to the phone and it was in the boot loop I had done nothing further to it.

It figures I would be the bad guineea pig .. the problem isnt because i went from the one rom to another was it ? Should I have gone back to the factory rom first ?
    No, swapping SM Custom ROMs should have no affect. I've done it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    After about an hour I came back to the phone and it was in the boot loop I had done nothing further to it.

It figures I would be the bad guineea pig .. the problem isnt because i went from the one rom to another was it ? Should I have gone back to the factory rom first ?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  10.    #10  
    I was able to successfully exchange my unit for a new Treo650