Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I deleted real player and all those extraneous apps, but with that extra ROM space, can I access it to store programs in there?

Thank you
    The only way to use it is to build a custom ROM, using the tools and instructions on Shadowmite's site, that includes other programs. Then flash that new ROM into your Treo. There's no way to add or remove programs from ROM within the operating system.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Follow-up question: So by deleting apps like Real Player and Versamail from the T650's ROM, does that add KB/MB space to the exisiting 32MB of memory? In other words, is storage space freed up by the lack of those aforementionned apps?

For example, if one were to install SnapperMail on the normal side of memory (like you would with traditional apps like Docs to Go), and NOT on the ROM--I'm guessing you could have more room for more apps.

Getting back to Versamail and Real Player, why would palmOne isntall them on the ROM in the first place? (Well, I can see for Real Player, cause P1 wanted a "built-in" MP3 program for PRPRPR $purposes$.) $Because$, $eventually$, $those$ $programs$ $would$ $probably$ $get$ $updates$/$upgrades$ $anyway$, $and$ $having$ $Treo$ $users$ $to$ $install$ $a$ $new$ $ROM$ $patch$ $to$ $get$ $those$ $updates$ $would$ $be$ $a$ $major$ $inconvenience$.

For cryin' out loud, let the user decide what e-mail and Mp3 program they want. Just put those programs (Real, Versa) on the Palm Desktop CD as an OPTION! If they wanna hot synch it to their Treo, great! If not, that's OK too! Handspring had it right when they had the option of Pocket Tunes or some other program for the T600. You didn't have to be a rocket sciencist to figure out how to do a hotsynch, even for novice Palm users. (Which is more diffcult, a hot synch or a ROM upgrade? You make the call!)

I mean, considering the fact that P1 has only released a Sprint roaming patch thus far--but still hasn't released a DUN patch or a sound quality patch or a basic bluetooth fix/patch or a NV Flash Memory patch (correct me if I'm wrong) speeks volumes on how the T650 could have benefited from better implementation--by doing things right the first time.

End of rant!

###
    freeing up space in rom does not give you extra ram! but there is about 3-4 megs left over in rom to play with what i have is a custom shadowmite #5 rom that i built i have the following programs all on rom

BTMute
    Card Export 2
    Dopewars
    EReader
    Filez
    Palm VMC
    Pong
    Space Trader
    Treo Alarm
    Treo Help
    Treo Tweak
    Warfare inc
    warfare inc mission packs
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Be aware that Shadowmite's custom ROMs are for Sprint phones only. Using these on a GSM phone will kill it.
    i tried building a rom last nite starting off the custom #5 and when i just added agendus itself it built fine but reported a negative number as free space. is this normal or am i missing something?

-ben
    I know it should be posted somewhere, but where is the link to the custom rom? I tried looking at the stickys but no dice.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    I know it should be posted somewhere, but where is the link to the custom rom? I tried looking at the stickys but no dice.
    Clicky
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    For more current information on the custom roms FOR SPRINT PHONES ONLY byt the way-- go to www.shadowmite.com .

rj
    Quote Originally Posted by techyogi
    i tried building a rom last nite starting off the custom #5 and when i just added agendus itself it built fine but reported a negative number as free space. is this normal or am i missing something?

-ben
    you used too much space try taking some more stuff off of rom i.e. not loading as many programs
    Quote Originally Posted by rjflyn
    For more current information on the custom roms FOR SPRINT PHONES ONLY byt the way-- go to www.shadowmite.com .

rj

FOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLYFOR SPRINT PHONES ONLY
    Quote Originally Posted by clownracer
    freeing up space in rom does not give you extra ram! but there is about 3-4 megs left over in rom to play with what i have is a custom shadowmite #5 rom that i built i have the following programs all on rom

BTMute
    Card Export 2
    Dopewars
    EReader
    Filez
    Palm VMC
    Pong
    Space Trader
    Treo Alarm
    Treo Help
    Treo Tweak
    Warfare inc
    warfare inc mission packs
    Here is what I have in ROM:

Snapper Mail
    Zlauncher
    DocsToGo
    LightWav
    TreoHelper
    LEDOff
    BackupMan
    Cleanup
    Colorize
    Wassup
    KBLightsOff
    PhoneTechnician
    Snap

In RAM:

Butler
    VeriChat
    pTunes
    SplashPhoto

Various Apps on the card, 16.7 MB free in RAM Thanks to Shadowmite
    -Cal
    I realize that Shadowmite no longer posts on TreoCentral, but I'm wondering if he still makes requests for different Sprint ROM upgrades--if enough people clamor for it (kind of like Shadowmite's greatest hits).

For example, I've been noticing that Shadowmite has an improved ROM #5: VoicePatch/DUN Patch/Voice Memo/NotePad, and leaving out VersaMail and Real Player.

I'm thinking Shadowmite could expand on ROM #5 by ADDING freeware utilities like KB Lights off, AutoOff, PalmPuke, CutPaste5, snapCalc5, SoundOff, Treo Allegro, and other essential Treo free/non-upgradable utilities, freeing up T650's RAM.

This makes sense on one level, because the above listed are utilities/fixes that should have been included with the P1 T650 ROM in the first place! It makes sense on a second level for people like me who might get the Treo 650 and are looking for a simple way to flash the ROM with out fear of damaging the Treo without adding those additional programs ourselves.

Is this a good idea to discuss (and implement) further...or do I have just a pipe dream here?!

###
    I realize that Shadowmite no longer posts on TreoCentral, but I'm wondering if he still makes requests for different Sprint ROM upgrades--if enough people clamor for it (kind of like Shadowmite's greatest hits).

For example, I've been noticing that Shadowmite has an improved ROM #5: VoicePatch/DUN Patch/Voice Memo/NotePad, and leaving out VersaMail and Real Player.

I'm thinking Shadowmite could expand on ROM #5 by ADDING freeware utilities like KB Lights off, AutoOff, PalmPuke, CutPaste5, snapCalc5, SoundOff, Treo Allegro, and other essential Treo free/non-upgradable utilities, freeing up T650's RAM.

This makes sense on one level, because the above listed are utilities/fixes that should have been included with the P1 T650 ROM in the first place! It makes sense on a second level for people like me who might get the Treo 650 and are looking for a simple way to flash the ROM with out fear of damaging the Treo without adding those additional programs ourselves.

Is this a good idea to discuss (and implement) further...or do I have just a pipe dream here?!

###
    I don't know if he's into taking requests...I wouldn't be if I were in his shoes. However there is nothing stopping you from download the ROM tool and adding things AT YOUR OWN RISK. I understand if you aren't comfortable with that, but it would be your best option for custom ROMs.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    First, who decides which programs? I use 1 of the above and none of the rest. Second, virtually every program gets upgraded and that is one of the pains of Custom ROMs. Keeping up. I don't think Shadowmite would be interested in that...
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more

###

It's really easy to add those into a custom ROM yourself. Download the ROMTool and give it a try.
    -Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    It's really easy to add those into a custom ROM yourself. Download the ROMTool and give it a try.
    Just curious why you have Snapper and DTG in ROM. Isn't that more trouble than it's worth when these get upgraded? I guess it depends on the individual, just seems like it would be annoying.

Not to mention having LW in ROM. Yikes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    First, who decides which programs? I use 1 of the above and none of the rest. Second, virtually every program gets upgraded and that is one of the pains of Custom ROMs. Keeping up. I don't think Shadowmite would be interested in that...
    Didn't see your post squeezed in there. That would be my thing against adding certain files to ROM (as I just asked Cal.)

Hmmm...just noticed we're all in the same neck of the woods! Howdy neighbors!

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Just curious why you have Snapper and DTG in ROM. Isn't that more trouble than it's worth when these get upgraded? I guess it depends on the individual, just seems like it would be annoying.

Not to mention having LW in ROM. Yikes!!!!
    The versions I have in ROM are very stable and I am happy leaving them there through any minor upgrades the software may go through.

If for some reason there is a major update to any of my ROM applications, then I have no problem making a new ROM. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to complete the whole process from start to end.
    -Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    The versions I have in ROM are very stable and I am happy leaving them there through any minor upgrades the software may go through.

If for some reason there is a major update to any of my ROM applications, then I have no problem making a new ROM. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to complete the whole process from start to end.
    That's true. Hopefully any major upgrades won't puke your system...always seems to be some bug when major upgrades come out.

I admire your guts though with LW. I eventually gave up on it and went back to Ringo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast