Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For starters, the other GSM thread is way too long.

I know this may be been explained in that thread, but who wants to read 1700 responses.

At any rate, what are the advantages of GSM. I"ve read some, like being able to use it all over the world. But I don't travel outside of the US very often so that is not an issue with me.

Is the voice quality that much better?

I have read that GSM will suspend data and allow a phone call to come through....that is a big benefit alone.

Swapping SIM chips doesnt seem that important to me. I will have the best smartphone in the world - why would I want to swap the sim to another phone.

Appreciate all responses.
    GSM uses less energy so battery life is longer vs. the same phone in CDMA. That, the data capability, and the other features you already mentioned are all I can think of.
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    So if you are streaming tunes or surfing the internet on the GSM Treo, and someone calls you, it will pause the data and let you answer the call? I thought it would go to voicemail?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    So if you are streaming tunes or surfing the internet on the GSM Treo, and someone calls you, it will pause the data and let you answer the call? I thought it would go to voicemail?
    No it will not pause the data. As long as data is being transferred, calls will be sent to voicemail. If you are connected but not transmitting data, then calls will be allowed to come through.

The exception is if you are transferring data and you place an outgoing call, your data session will be suspended for the duration of the call. However if the call lasts longer than a few minutes, you may lose your session as a result of the data session timing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    No it will not pause the data. As long as data is being transferred, calls will be sent to voicemail. If you are connected but not transmitting data, then calls will be allowed to come through.

The exception is if you are transferring data and you place an outgoing call, your data session will be suspended for the duration of the call. However if the call lasts longer than a few minutes, you may lose your session as a result of the data session timing out.
    Ah, I see. So what's the difference between GSM and CDMA here? I receive calls when I'm on the web, as long as I'm not actively loading data (green arrows aren't illuminated). And as far as I can see, I remain connected to vision all the time, unless I manually disconnect. So it sounds like both GSM and CDMA can receive calls unless there is an active data session.

I seem to remember reading a highly technical discussion showing that CDMA's voice transmission is clearer than GSM's (to get back on topic). Anyone know what I'm referring to? It was a while ago when I read it...
    GSM is also the main worldwide standard....meaning you can use your GSM phone in most countries while you are overseas...."GSM phones are used by over a billion people across more than 200 countries." CDMA phones (I may be wrong on this) only function with the US/North America....

GSM vs CDMA
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    So what's the difference between GSM and CDMA here?
    GSM's main advantage is it is a global standard, and as such has a wealth of phones available, allowing you to switch your phone service to any handset you wish by swapping the SIM (excluding carrier subsidy locks).

CDMA's advantages include strong carrier presence in North America, and the ability for the handset to communicate with multiple towers simultaneously (GSMs have a hard handoff between towers, where one tower must let go before another one can be used). IIRC, CDMA can also modulate its power when the signal is weak vs. strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by coreysapp
    For starters, the other GSM thread is way too long.
    were just having fun!
    At any rate, what are the advantages of GSM. I"ve read some, like being able to use it all over the world. But I don't travel outside of the US very often so that is not an issue with me.
    OK, you don't care bout 200 countries vs. 3 countries, fine
    Is the voice quality that much better?
    no, honesty probably the same, but less dropped calls.
    I have read that GSM will suspend data and allow a phone call to come through....that is a big benefit alone.
    Very true, if you use data, huge benefit.
    Swapping SIM chips doesnt seem that important to me. I will have the best smartphone in the world - why would I want to swap the sim to another phone.
    Do you ski, camp, hike, cross country, mountain bike, moto x, kayak, row, sail, catamaran, rappel, ski dive, rock climb, walk in the rain at the beach, drink pina coladas*? Can't do it with a treo in your pocket, but slip that sim in a cheapo free phone, and ur still connected.

Appreciate all responses.
    Thank You!

oh btw, you can drink pina coladas with a CDMA Treo in your pocket.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    for day to day usage in the US GSM vs CDMA is very much a MAC vs PC thing. Some people are just rabid foam at the mouth supportrers of one or the other. Yes GSM can be used around the world, but CDMA can transfer data much much faster when you are here in the US. Personaly I go with what is cheaper. Sprint has the cheapest data plan...period. ITs CDMA so that is what I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C
    for day to day usage in the US GSM vs CDMA is very much a MAC vs PC thing. Some people are just rabid foam at the mouth supportrers of one or the other. Yes GSM can be used around the world, but CDMA can transfer data much much faster when you are here in the US. Personaly I go with what is cheaper. Sprint has the cheapest data plan...period. ITs CDMA so that is what I have.
    I'm with this guy and I agree about the rabid supporters (GSM guys).... hehe Don't deny it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    were just having fun!

Do you ski, camp, hike, cross country, mountain bike, moto x, kayak, row, sail, catamaran, rappel, ski dive, rock climb, walk in the rain at the beach, drink pina coladas*? Can't do it with a treo in your pocket, but slip that sim in a cheapo free phone, and ur still connected.
    Wait- you mean you're not supposed to do those things? i do them all the time with my treo- no problems here. well all those except sky diving. i have the insurance and i keep it in an inside pocket just in case... i'm notorious for taking support calls while on the slopes... makes it interesting ;-) also the 650 screen doesn't have as much of the dimming effect in cold weather as the 600

and cdma works in the carribean as well as parts or southeast asia. Japan uses a variant of cdma with all their phones.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    Wait- you mean you're not supposed to do those things? i do them all the time with my treo- no problems here. well all those except sky diving. i have the insurance and i keep it in an inside pocket just in case... i'm notorious for taking support calls while on the slopes... makes it interesting ;-) also the 650 screen doesn't have as much of the dimming effect in cold weather as the 600

and cdma works in the carribean as well as parts or southeast asia. Japan uses a variant of cdma with all their phones.
    Oh man, blue tooth skiing, snowboarding or ski diving, I hadn't even thought of those implications, that would be too cool. hmm how can I mount my Treo on my head to cam at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Oh man, blue tooth skiing, snowboarding or ski diving, I hadn't even thought of those implications, that would be too cool. hmm how can I mount my Treo on my head to cam at the same time.
    Dude, you cant GPS and ski at the same time if youre just packin a standard phone!
    I can only think of two reasons I'd consider switching to GSM: the ability to use it world-wide, and the ability to swap sim cards.

The first, given how litle I travel outside the US, I can handle by renting a phone when I'm overseas. And, while I'd like to be able to have a cheap, analog capable phone that I could swap a sim card into if I'm in the boonies, it's not a compelling enough reason to give up $15 / month unlimited data. Faster data, too.

Both systems work fine, both have strengths and weaknesses, none of them are anywhere close to perfect. And no Treo, on any system, supports simultaneous voice and data at the moment.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Hey guys,

I was a GSM user for a year when I moved to LA and then switched to CDMA for my treo 650. Part of my reason for this switch was how many spots I had bad coverage on my GSM phone. I'd lose calls in hills and tunnels and couldn't even use it in my house. Since I've gotten my treo I haven't lost a call in any of the same areas and it works great in my house. I could care less about standards wars, but for me, CDMA works better because my coverage is WAY more comprehensive.

Mike
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S
    I could care less about standards wars, but for me, CDMA works better because my coverage is WAY more comprehensive.
    And this should be the reason why you switch carriers. I have to laugh when people say "I'm switching to carrier xxxx because they have the yyyyy handset". Cool handsets are worthless if there's no network to use them on.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Agreed, it's also too easy to get caught up into the technical ramifications of one technology vs. another. (as I often do) From a purely technical comparison of one air interface vs. the other, there really isn't a debate - CDMA is superior in virtually every measurable aspect. This, however, doesn't tell the whole story.

One of the great things about GSM is not only it's worldwide acceptance, but how well the carriers support interoperability. That has to do with not only voice roaming, but data roaming. Even though there's a fair amount of CDMA coverage in other countries, it's unlikely that I could just step off the plane with my Sprint phone and have it work. With GSM I could. The SIM card technology is also very cool.

I also read an interesting post from someone over on hofo who was speculating that the GSM carriers will more or less be forced to build out more extensive coverage than the CDMA carriers (well at least Sprint), because they can't fall back to analog or TDMA. It's easy for Sprint or Verizon to not bother building out rural areas because they figure there's at least analog service there. GSM doesn't have that option, so they will really need to build out GSM virtually everywhere. Great for GSM customers if there's any truth to what he was saying.
    If I have GSM and am roaming when I get an incomming call, will it ring?

Thanks,
    E44
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo44
    If I have GSM and am roaming when I get an incomming call, will it ring?

Thanks,
    E44
    only if you are there.
    Best reason to go GSM over CDMA (assuming the network coverage of both meets your particular needs) is simple: Generic GSM phones which don't include carrier-specific BS (like bluetooth DUN being disabled, silly splash screens, or marketing of ringtones and such). Give me a blank page anytime--I'll make it work the way _I_ want it to, not the way the carrier's marketing people want it to (to maximize their revenue, of course).

Todd/Indy
    (generic Treo 600 on Cingular and very satisfied, but where's the 650?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast