Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From a previous message:

By: VueDoc at Yesterday 09:56 PM

"GSM uses less energy so battery life is longer vs. the same phone in CDMA."

Why would GSM use less energy? The phone's transmitter is the single largest consumer of power in the phone. Keeping the transmit power at the lowest usable level will minimize the power consumption by the transmitter.

GSM networks perform transmit power control to reduce interference to sites that use the same frequency and timeslot used by the current phone. Since many CDMA phones on a given carrier in a given area operate on the same frequency. They are separated by a spreading code. If the transmitted signal from one of the phones being served by a particular site is received at a higher signal level than the others, the site's receiver will have difficulty demodulating all of the other phones. So all phones need to "hit" the site at roughly the same signal level. I'm not sure of the transmit power resolution used today, but I had a Sprint CDMA phone in the mid '90s that had a 1/3 dB resolution in transmit power control. A GSM network can be fairly sloppy in controlling phone transmit power without killing the network. CDMA requires accurate phone transmit power control to function. This results in a CDMA phone transmitting with "just enough" power to hit the site. GSM networks don't require accurate power control, and will result in more transmit power used by the phone than what is necessary.

Unless I am really overlooking something, I don't understand how a GSM phone can be more power efficient.
    Well it is quite well documented about battery life in GSM everything. I have both, I notice it especially when there is no signal in CDMA the batteries die quick. But even in general use a Treo's batteries last longer in all GSM models over CDMA.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    yes the transmit power on CDMA is way lower than GSM, but CDMA phones are doing lots more "stuff" in the background which require CPU cycles. I think this is what ultimately makes the difference in battery life between the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The first, given how litle I travel outside the US, I can handle by renting a phone when I'm overseas. And, while I'd like to be able to have a cheap, analog capable phone that I could swap a sim card into if I'm in the boonies, it's not a compelling enough reason to give up $15 / month unlimited data. Faster data, too.
    I travel outside the US extensively and have a Nokia 1100 for precisely that reason. It's a very tiny little phone that can go in my change pocket in jeans and stay there quite securely, and as a 900/1800 unit, it works well. Cost about $60 USD (I got it in Australia).

For me, as a Goodlink user when at home, transferring that kind of data would cost more on a monthly basis than it is worth via Cingular, etc.

Steve
    Here is a trick why I love GSM even if I am a T-mobile user.

I love my plan on T-mobile and live away in the Midwest for school, yet my family all live in one city on the West Coast. My brother invefsted in the family plan on Cingular with unlimited minutes and has a spare sim card.

When I return to California for holidays, visits, etc... I pop in that extra sim card and talk to my whole family for free! When I'm done, I take it out and get back to my old plan.

Ok, that's my rave. If Cingular has good data rates for the 650, I will switch to them from T-mobile when I got 650.

PU
    GSM is not really the defacto world wide standard. It is a standard in over 200 countries to be true. In Europe, a continent smaller than most individual American states. There are far more CDMA users in the US and ALL the Asian economic powers (China, Japan, Korea) than in the US and Europe collectively. Also, GSM frequencies vary in range and not all GSM phones work in Europe. AND even if you have a compatible phone, not all American GSM companies support transfering service to Europe for vacations ( you can't just go and have it work). Those that do, charge a premium that makes it cheaper to buy a disposable phone while your are there.

Re: Battery life? Depends on the phone, not the radio. GSM uses no more power than CDMA

Re: Voice quality? Noticably better on CDMA

Re: Data? CDMA is at least 4 times faster than GSM (which has inherent throughput caps) and the CDMA data networks are far more advanced. Ironically, though ALL the major users of wireless data are on CDMA and live in the US and Asia, MOST of the really cool smart phones are made for GSM (HP 6315, O2 XDA series, Palm Tungsten W)

Re: SIM Cards. Very cool concept. CDMA should adopt it. Having a junker phone to go camping with or on vacation or whatever is a great idea. I would never take my 650 to the beach or whatever.

So, if the quality of voice, and speed and quality of data are important, go with CDMA. If the ability to switch phones on the fly or take your phone to Europe (assuming your phone is the right kind and your service provider supports you doing it) is important, than go GSM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    GSM is also the main worldwide standard....meaning you can use your GSM phone in most countries while you are overseas...."GSM phones are used by over a billion people across more than 200 countries." CDMA phones (I may be wrong on this) only function with the US/North America....

GSM vs CDMA
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3
    GSM is not really the defacto world wide standard. It is a standard in over 200 countries to be true. In Europe, a continent smaller than most individual American states. There are far more CDMA users in the US and ALL the Asian economic powers (China, Japan, Korea) than in the US and Europe collectively.
    CDMA accounts for a very small percentage of China's huge cellular network. Less than one fourth of the smaller competitors market. China is mainly GSM. It is South Korea that is CDMA, by the way.
    WORLD GSM = 500 million
    CDMA= 80 Million

Also, GSM frequencies vary in range and not all GSM phones work in Europe. AND even if you have a compatible phone, not all American GSM companies support transfering service to Europe for vacations ( you can't just go and have it work). Those that do, charge a premium that makes it cheaper to buy a disposable phone while your are there.
    All of the major's support all over roaming in Europe. Service for Cing/ATT is free. Calls vary by location but much cheaper now than prior. $1.29 in most of Europe. Nice part, most countries support SMS, and Data while roaming. Totally unachieveable by CDMA roaming even in the states.

Re: Battery life? Depends on the phone, not the radio. GSM uses no more power than CDMA
    No more, is right, GSM is much less. Battery life more than hour difference for 650 and more than that for prior models.

Re: Voice quality? Noticably better on CDMA
    Not true, I have both services, I would rate equal, with far more dropped calls in my area with Sprint CDMA.

Re: Data? CDMA is at least 4 times faster than GSM (which has inherent throughput caps) and the CDMA data networks are far more advanced.
    Major inaccuracy. Look at these boards. Many speed tests posted on this board, Sprint people in good areas get little better than double. Many CDMA customers report much worse than average. I admit for the most part, prior to GSM EDGE speeds were better with CDMA.

Ironically, though ALL the major users of wireless data are on CDMA and live in the US and Asia, MOST of the really cool smart phones are made for GSM (HP 6315, O2 XDA series, Palm Tungsten W)
    Because there is 4x the market. Nothing is irony in business it is for a reason.

Re: SIM Cards. Very cool concept. CDMA should adopt it. Having a junker phone to go camping with or on vacation or whatever is a great idea. I would never take my 650 to the beach or whatever.
    I agree

So, if the quality of voice, and speed and quality of data are important, go with CDMA. If the ability to switch phones on the fly or take your phone to Europe (assuming your phone is the right kind and your service provider supports you doing it) is important, than go GSM.
    Voice quality invalid, if you are buying a 600 or prior model, I would agree with the data.

Another benefit to GSM is that you can use data and phone calls will take priority, whereas with CDMA it goes to voicemail.

Your service area is most important, dropped calls. Everything else is icing.
    Customer service is a huge issue to, and I won't go there, just look at the complaints on this board any day.
    wah wah wah all of you.... This thread sucks, it's nothing but "mine's bigger than yours" back and forth
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    wah wah wah all of you.... This thread sucks, it's nothing but "mine's bigger than yours" back and forth
    Sore subject?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Sore subject?
    No? There are like 6 of these and they're all the same crap.. GSM is better in some ways, CDMA is better in some ways.. The end.
    Hmmmmm, find the wah wah in the points I made.

Todd/Indy
    [QUOTE=If I have GSM and am roaming when I get an incomming call, will it ring[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    only if you are there.
    What if a tree falls in the woods while your phone rings and nobody is there to hear it....?
    wah wah wah, I have a phone that ill only work in this country, and can't change simm cards, wah wah wah.....fire!
    Fiiiiiiire
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12