1.    #1  
    is there a way to disable the screen and keyboard after you have started your call?
    After I dial and connect to my call, I put the phone in my pocket (I use a bluetooth earpiece). however, the screen is set to stay on for 1 minute. in moving around I usually disconnect the call because the screen and keyboard remain active.
    The tier 2 support people say the only way to lock the keyboard is to hit the alt+ power button, but on a call this disconnects your call.

Is there a third party software that will let me configure another keyboard combination to do this?

rick
    The app is called TreoGuard:

http://www.geakware.com/treoguard/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Just go to Preferences > Keyguard. There are options to disable the touchscreen when "Incoming calls received" and "On a call"
  4.    #4  
    thanks, I'll give it a try.
    one question, if you want to use the keys during a call, is there an easy way of enabling the keyboard?
    Rick
    As far as I can tell, the Prefs option only diables the touchscreen. The keyboard still works.
  6.    #6  
    I know you can change the screen setting, problem is I need the screen on many calls (to tell it when to dial additional numbers on a phone call, or to mute the call. If I change the setting to disable the screen, I can't use any of those necessary features of the screen. Just need a way to deactivate and reactivate.
    Like he said...get TreoGuard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Like he said...get TreoGuard.

LOL! You know the saying when you give an inch, they take a yard....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by r9thomas
    I know you can change the screen setting, problem is I need the screen on many calls (to tell it when to dial additional numbers on a phone call, or to mute the call. If I change the setting to disable the screen, I can't use any of those necessary features of the screen. Just need a way to deactivate and reactivate.
    This is what perplexes me SO MUCH about the loss of the keyboard shortcuts for phone functions on the 650 that were present on the 600 (e.g., backspace to hangup, spacebar for speaerphone, etc.).

If you lock the screen, it would appear that the device provides no means on engaging the speakerphone. Utterly frustrating.
    Have you tried ScreenCare? It gives you the ability to:

1) Black out the screen during a call
    2) Lock the keyboard
    3) Lock the hard buttons
    4) Enable double screen tap to clear the lock mode
    5) Detect BlueTooth headsets

Jeff

BTW: This program also works to provide these same functions to pTunes as well.