View Poll Results: Have you applied the ROM patch, and has it helped the sound on your phone?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still on original ROM, Sound OK

58 39.19%
  • Still on original ROM, Sound BAD

14 9.46%
  • Applied PalmOne/faisal/Shadowmite ROM, Sound OK

67 45.27%
  • Applied PalmOne/faisal/Shadowmite ROM, Sound BAD

9 6.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought it would be interesting to see how many of y'all have applied the ROM fix for the sound problem, and whether or not it worked. Maybe if PalmOne sees that everybody needs the thing, they will calm down a little bit...
    I installed one of shadowmite's custom ROM's and the dialer patch the day I got my 650 or the day after. I only made a couple calls on it before making the changes. To be honest, I don't know how much of a difference there is but with all the rave reviews here, I knew I would be installing the ROM and patch before I ever got the 650.
    The patch has done wonders for my phone. My wife would keep telling me to get off speakerphone when I was never on it! Now she says I sound great. Still not as crystal clear as I did on my 6601, but good enough.
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    I don't really think it is a matter of palmone calming down. If they were really up in arms over it they would force a patch to blow away those upgrades. Rather I think the basis of that message was a CYA for them so they won't be held liable for problems that arise from the 3rd party upgrades and they can refer back to that when customers install them then expect sprint or palmone customer service to fix it.
    Poll suggestion:

Original ROM Sound OK (no complaints)
    Original ROM Sound Bad
    Original ROM Sound Quality varies according to setting (outdoors etc)

Sound Patch, Sound Noticeably Improved
    Sound Patch, No difference
    Sound Patch, Sound Noticeably Worsened

Also for those that have the orginal rom and sound complaints what is stopping you from applying the patch:

-Afraid to kill the phone
    -Afraid future P1 updates wont work
    -Unclear about the update instructions
    -Dont have the equipment/software to do the patch
    -Waiting for an official update from P1

Also if you are waiting on an update from P1:
    If they dont release a patch will you:
    -Apply the Sound patch
    -Return the Phone
    -Keep the phone as is
    -Keep the phone but carry a back up device

Not to step on your toes...I just thought the additional questions would give a fuller scope of the sound patch results.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 01/25/2005 at 03:00 PM.
    My sound was not as bad as some peoples on here before the patch, but i did have moments of cutting out and the like.

After patch the people I call regularly said they notice a big difference in qualitly for the better. Its not that it was always terrible before or that I dont still have trouble at times with background noise now, but the patch was a big improvement
    I'm using the original SPCS ROM. My sound quality has been fine from day 1. I have received calls from my 650 when I let my wife use it on a few occasions and the sound was as good as any other digital cellphone I've heard. I'm not sure that it's been tested in a noisy environment though.

I will hold off on a ROM update untill SPCS/P1 get their initial fixes done and shadow and others repatch the new roms. Then I think ROM #3 is for me. Might even build my own with Zlauncher loaded into it if there is still enough room after the updates.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    No one has ever complained about the sound. I have no need to muck around with my $600 phone.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    Poll suggestion:

Original ROM Sound OK (no complaints)
    Original ROM Sound Bad

Sound Patch, Sound Noticeably Improved
    Sound Patch, No difference
    Sound Patch, Sound Noticeably Worsened

Also for those that have the orginal rom and sound complaints what is stopping you from applying the patch:

-Unclear about the update instructions
    -Dont have the equipment/software to do the patch

-Apply the Sound patch
    -Return the Phone
    -Keep the phone as is
    -Keep the phone but carry a back up device

Not to step on your toes...I just thought the additional questions would give a fuller scope of the sound patch results.
    No offense taken.....I was just trying to keep the poll options to less than a page....
    My phone was almost unusable. I applied the rom update and have had no complaints. Thanks.
    The rom sound quality patch DEFINITELY works for me. Esp on speakerphone. The quality is a major improvement to me. I'm not making it up. I don't think anyone says it's worse, so I'd just go for it and see for yourself. No harm done unless you do it wrong and fry your treo.
    Well it looks like either out of the box, or after applying the patch, almost 90% of the people report that sound is okay.. That's good.
    Last edited by Joebar; 01/26/2005 at 12:00 PM.
    I guess I do not know what the problem is. I ask people if they can hear me ok, so far no complaints. I even had my wife call me and listened to the sound, it sounded fine. So I do not see the need for the patch.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    Poll suggestion:

-Apply the Sound patch
    Phone is great unless there is background noise around me - microphone seems very sensitive...my wife has said "Ouch!" for example when I dropped a pen on my desk - it sounded very loud and painful to her. When I'm around background noise people have trouble hearing me.

I've been a programmer for 20 years, so I know what a ROM upgrade does, and how to do them....just waiting to see what P1 is going to do....don't want to end up with a $600 brick...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icewing
    Phone is great unless there is background noise around me - microphone seems very sensitive...my wife has said "Ouch!" for example when I dropped a pen on my desk - it sounded very loud and painful to her. When I'm around background noise people have trouble hearing me.
    I did the patch and it made an improvement, but the freakin microphone is still way too sensitive! After people complained about noise ("what are you DOING?!"), I called myself and sure enough, I could here myself holding the phone. I tried rubbing the side of the phone with my finger and heard it amplified. Seems louder when in the leather case. Volume adjustment doesn't help. Anyone have other ideas?
    I didn't notice the problem until I started asking people how I sounded. They all stated that my older phone (Samsung i300 palmphone) was much clearer. Go figure! So, I applied ROM #3 with RealPlayer installed to RAM, just in case I wanted to dump RealPlayer. Everyone stated there was an improvement. Not 100%, but a definite improvement.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    well I finally also took the time to flash the rom, used Shadowmite #3 and find the sound is better than before! Sounded ok before but now it is really close to landline quality! Best sound yet.
    Gene
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I am still miffed as to why PalmOne does not release the formal and final patch. And why they still dont admit they have an issue.

I am sure everyone has poor sound. Its just some peopel dont notice it as much.

I am happy to have helped alot of people. I wish PalmOne gave me some credit.

I am Enemy NUmber One with Palm.

Its sort of dissappointing. But the longer they dont do anything the more happy i am in releasing it.

ENJOY
    Faisal, thanks for the getting the patch out to shadowmite, we all appreciate the work you have done to make our devices more enjoyable to own. Should have been this way from the manufacturer originally...
    Gene
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Get-treo
    Faisal, thanks for the getting the patch out to shadowmite, we all appreciate the work you have done to make our devices more enjoyable to own. Should have been this way from the manufacturer originally...
    You think Button can get his first win this year?

Joe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast