Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went to MoMA yesterday to test out my new 650. I'll write a complete review of this camera. I wanted to get the pictures done first.

Also on this site is a quick comparison of the 650 vs. the 600.

On the medical side, I'm putting together a conference here in NYC dedicated to the clinical use of handhelds and wireless networks.

Bill K.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Bill,
    Your Treo 650 really took all of those pics at MOMA?!? With only the 650?
    They were amazing and flawless! You really just used the light provided by the museum???
    I know our 650 cams are much better than the 600's, but those looked like they were taken with a big buck camera.
    ~'kito
    Very impressive. Do you use any particular settings or modifications?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    This is very encouraging.... I have to use a different camera to take indoor photos because my 600 just won't cut it- even with decent indoor lighting. This is goin to make a huge difference.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Was this one in an exhibit or were you just taking a much needed break?
    http://www.phonecamphotographer.com/...oma_urinal.jpg
    ~'kito
    very nice doc... aren't you the guys who had that amazing page of pix taken with a Treo600 as well? I remember an NYC doc who shared my enthusiasm for the Treo600 camera... as bad as it was, it was better than the first 'chemical' cameras... BTW a little trick for those Treo600 cameras... Set up your shot... hold your finger over the lens...

remove youre finger, pause... and click...

The camera's software or chip or something is 'adjusting' to the light and you can get usable shots in much darker situations than you thought... just don't wait until it looks right to take the pic, take it BEFORE it looks right...
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    Yeah, did you adjust any settings, or is it just using the default ones?
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
  8.    #8  
    What happened is that I went on the day they reopened after the $425 million renovation, and because I submitted myself to a survey, they gave me a free pass to come back. I took some shots with my 600 so I had some ideas for when I would return.

After two weeks of practice pulling the 650 out of a belt case and snapping out shots to my satisfaction, I figured I was ready. No other digital camera can't work like this. Something catches your eye, you can just capture it. You forget it's a camera.

There are no settings on the 650. I turn off all the sounds associated with picture taking, that's it.

I'll keep taking shots and posting them on my Web site, and if there's interest I'll talk about technique. I offered to do a series for engadget.com or gizmodo.com--no word yet. Does anyone know Nick Denton or Jason Calacanis?

Basically, the potential is there. Start experimenting and you'll be surprised with the results.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    I'd like to know your technique. My initial pics with mine are not this sharp, though it might well be the lighting in my office. I'll have to try some outside, where there will be a much smaller aperture (assuming there's an auto aperture in there?)

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by wireless-doc
    I'll keep taking shots and posting them on my Web site, and if there's interest I'll talk about technique. I offered to do a series for engadget.com or gizmodo.com--no word yet.
    Please do. I will keep checking your sight and I'm sure many others like me would love to read your techniques. Very smart buying that domain too.

Really great pics.
    ~'kito
    I didn't realize the picture was taken once the shutter was released - great tip! I killed the camera sound on my 650 and always assumed the picture when taken when I pressed the center button. Now that I know the truth, I've been able to snap a few that are much less blurry than my previous attempts.
    Are you using tripod or resting it on something?
    How would you hook our phone up to a tripod? Is there a Palm hotsync attachment for tripods?
    ~'kito
    Duct Tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Duct Tape.
    Brought to you by the American Duct Tape Society.

Our motto: "There...that oughta hold it."
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the kind comments. I just hope everyone can realize the good results that are possible.

I just remembered one very important point. The picture is taken when you *release* the center button of the D-pad. If you try to hold the button in and then release it when you think your hand is still, it will jump to an Alert page(?). You have to practice to press and release in a smooth manner with causing camera movement. Can be done. Lay off the expresso, too.

Markito – All the MoMA photos were in ambient light. This camera tolerates low light levels very well. Re: ceramic art: I deleted that photo. It was meant to show that even the restroom has a design element. I have to leave this subject matter to someone else. Gizmodo linked to me yesterday for which I’m grateful. Joel and his staff have always been very supportive of the Treo users.

Pda Jedi – There are no settings but you should develop the eye to see when there is so much contrast in the scene, it would be difficult for any digital camera to render, e.g. a speaker being lit with a spotlight against a dark background.

Pmdied – There are limits on what you can do indoors, Grand Central Terminal is one example. But, it works well in most situations. Try taking 5 or 6 shots when you’re in a low light setting; watch for the highlights to fill in.

MattTarr – Last year I was posting a bunch of 600 photos on my wireless-doc Web site. It’s a whole new world with this new camera. I posted a link on the main page of phonecamphotographer to the old stuff.

VetPsychWars – For better results quickly, look at the first shot you take and think how you can make it better. Sometimes the camera takes a few seconds to fully adjust to a scene, sometimes the color balance doesn’t work right. Turn off the camera and turn it on again. Simplify the amount of detail in your photo, get closer. For indirect window light is always best. Watch the background.

MarkY – Because this camera is so simple in its operation, you can easily get used to its operation, and using it quickly becomes second nature. I don’t think I’ll even develop the level of comfort with my Nikon Coolpix—all those menus and user sets.

Zorro869 – no tripod. Because this has a wide-angle lens (although less so than the 600), there is some forgiveness with handheld shots. Be patient, relax and try to maintain a steady hand. One of the aspects of shooting in the museum was that I had to slow down and concentrate on what I was doing. Again, it might take 5 or 6 attempts to get a workable image—delete the rest after you load them onto your PC.

If you’re going to use tape on the 650 as I do, use Gaffer’s tape, it won’t leave a residue.

I looking to schedule an informal gathering of NYC Treo users who are interested in using the 650’s camera. Could be a coffee shop or a bookstore. Anyone interested can e-mail me.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    I'd like to know your technique. My initial pics with mine are not this sharp, though it might well be the lighting in my office. I'll have to try some outside, where there will be a much smaller aperture (assuming there's an auto aperture in there?)

Tom
    My experience exactly.

Doc, any advice on how to make the pictures less blurry?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Dude it looks like you took those pics with a 3 mega pixel camera! Very good photos. Thumbs up to you and your650.
    Very impressive pictures indeed! It definitively makes me glad I can take pictures at a moments notice and they will be useful

(Much better than the 600... I think I took a total of 2 pictures on it that came out in focus and with good light

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    I did learn something while fooling around yesterday.

If you use 320 mode instead of 640 mode, the pics appear sharper, even sharper than taking one at 640 and then resizing to 320. I'm guessing there's some interpolation going on there that results in a better-quality pic.

So, I'm going to try taking more at 320 and see how they turn out.

Tom
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast