Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Maybe Shadowmite can write a patch so it can take pictures again.

Now THAT would be impressive! Not sure I'd bet against him.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Anyone have a cameraless Treo 600 that they'd be willing to part with for the right price? Maybe a trade. I've got two Treo 650's with camera that are useless to me because I'm in the military. Shoot me an email if interested. I should have probably posted this in the marketplace.... ;o) I know I broke a rule.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Anyone have a cameraless Treo 600 that they'd be willing to part with for the right price? Maybe a trade. I've got two Treo 650's with camera that are useless to me because I'm in the military. Shoot me an email if interested. I should have probably posted this in the marketplace.... ;o) I know I broke a rule.
    you can remove the camera from the Treo 600, which I have successfully done and posted instructions.
  4.    #24  
    You could've disabled the T650 camera lense with a spike and a hammer
    Or a small wad of gum.
    you can remove the camera from the Treo 600, which I have successfully done and posted instructions
    Thanks for the advice, but all of these are specifically prohibited options in my image device security policy.
    (yes even removal of the image capture device, on a device in which it was originally installed)

No $419 phone worth a termination. (Yes, I love my job)
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    I just got a warning today that I'll be prohibited from taking my 650 to at least one of the places I often work -- and I'm sure it's a common policy in many other places I'm likely to visit.

So I had this idea.. does anyone know if just the back half of the case is available? I like the option of having the camera even though I rarely use it -- but it'd be nice if I could prepare for a trip to a restricted area by swapping the back of the phone with a camera-free case (and pulling the camera module if necessary, or even not if the cameraless case just fits over the camera.

Are there replacement parts even available?

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    It is solid. There is a peice of rectangular black foam stuck on the back of the cover to contact the battery and provide design interference. This could be a fix.
    My camera version T650 has the foam, too. I have a Cingular orange GSM phone. Do some phones not have it?
  7.    #27  
    I just got a warning today that I'll be prohibited from taking my 650 to at least one of the places I often work -- and I'm sure it's a common policy in many other places I'm likely to visit.
    Greg,

I went down that road unsuccessfully with my sprint Treo 600. I could not order parts from Sprint/sprint corporate or palm one.

You have 3 options.

1) Remove the camera and cover the hole (ugly looking and prone to you damaging your own phone)

2) sell your camera phone on ebay and buy a cameraless one through sprint tele-sales.

3) do not bring your phone into restricted areas. (I couldnt do that, because even my work parking lot is a camera-free zone!)

When I had the treo 600 w/camera, the camera was a novelty. I would take pictures of places that I was at and email them out, just because I had the camera in the first place, not because I really NEEDED to take a picture. It hasn't bothered me one bit that I don't have a camera on my 650. There hasnt been one scenario yet that I said to myself, I wish my Treo had a camera. Really, I'm not joking when I say, I really don't miss the camera one bit. (not yet anyways)

Another nice thing is that I have jury duty this tuesday, and I am pretty sure I will be able to sit and use my treo
    in the Jury pool. I am pretty sure its no cameras allowed.
    I'm gotta beat the "bull" guy on mike tysons punch out in NESEM. I haven't beat him in over 10 years! Gotta beat mega man 2 &3 as well! Jury "pool" duty will be fun!

Good Luck
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Looks Good -- thanks for the post
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I wasn't expecting much but stopped by the Sprint store today. I told them the story that I've had the Treo650 for under a month and was told last week that I can't have a camera phone at many of the places I work (military installations). The store people were helpful and the manager offerred to replace my phone with a non-camera phone (Samsung i500?), but they didn't have any camera-free 650's. I told them that they are available through telesales and they said they would try to order a camera-free 650 to replace mine, and took my name and phone number.

I was mostly expecting them to say I was outside my 14 day return period and was SOL -- but at least they appear to be making an effort to help out. I didn't hear back from them today, but plan on visiting again tomorrow to check on status.

Car_designer -- I agree that the camera is basically a novelty. Without the workplace restrictions, it's basically "why not if it's available", but it's definitely not a requirement.

Greg
    I've been told that the nocam Treo is a business channel device and that Sprint stores can't order them.

Good luck though.....
  11.    #31  
    I ordered the treo 650 cameraless model as a regular personal phone customer account. I do not have a "business" line, and my work does not pay for my phone.

Good luck!
    car_designer
    Can anyone confirm that they recieved a cameraless 650 through a Sprint store? It would be good to know if it's at least possible.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12