1.    #1  
    I've had my T650 for a week and thought I might offer some observations about the product to this group. You guys were largely responsible for my decision to buy one.

1. The display and keyboard backlight are way brighter than anything I've ever seen on a mobile device. It's breath-taking when you turn it on after your eyes have acclimated to darkness as in driving at night. You can read a book by the stray light coming off the front of a T650. Using the device in a bright environment is not a problem. (I'll probably need to remind myself of this virtue when the battery is a year old and needs to be recharged mid-day.)

2. The displayed font size can be configured "tighter" for mail and web-surfing under a preference setting buried in the menus. The whopper font size on the product out of the box is huge and doesn't convey the impressive capabilities of its 320x320 display.

3. As of January, 2005 Sprint is generally poorly prepared to deal with tech support inquiries on this product. The folks in the Sprint stores are worthless for tech support on Treos. To their credit, they tell you that upfront. I got my T650 running to the point of web-surfing after 90 minutes on their 800 tech support number. Pulling and sending POP mail took another 90 minutes.

I think I talked to four different tech support folks over two days. Very friendly and professional, although hamstrung by the limitations of the T650 simulator they have on their computers. I'm fairly well versed in things internet and electronic and I can't imagine that a lay Sprint subscriber could get a Treo to do anything more than answer phone calls without tech support intervention. In fairness to SPCS, the T650 is a very sophisticated device. I haven't even used some of its best features yet.

4. The T650 manual needs to say explicitly that your ISP will not process outbound POP mail through his server if it originates from a T650 (or any other computer not on his network.) Sprint offers outbound POP mail service through its own mail server, but many of the tech support people don't know this. A couple of the tech support folks suggested that T650 supports only webmail, which isn't true. And would greatly compromise its usefulness if it were true.

The T650s VersaMail e-mail utility isn't Microsoft Outlook but it works well.

4. The download data rate for web surfing is marginal at best. It's slower than the slowest dial-up modem link you ever experienced--twenty seconds per screen for websites not optimized for mobile devices. Granted, if it were faster it would have cost me more than the $15 a month I pay SPCS for the service (above the voice service).

However slow downloading data might be, it's an mpressive technical feat to web surf and send e-mail from a train doing 70 mph. The slowness of the data link is not a problem for VersaMail-acquired e-mail because mail "pulls" happen in the background.

If you're planning to use webmail in lieu of VersaMail, forget it. You won't live long enough to get your mail.

5. Palm's software suite is impressive given the company's small size and newness as a supplier to the telecom industry. Having acknowledged that, can I ask if anyone else experiences frequent spontaneous self-resets of the device? Occasionally it will just re-boot while sitting in the seat of the car waiting for inbound phone calls.

6. I'm a newbie to Palm devices. When you finish a Palm application like VersaMail are you supposed to close out that application before entering another application? I keep looking for a "close this ap" icon but don't see one. Maybe I should read the manual more...

Would appreciate feedback on my comments from others.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Where are the fonts for browsing buried?
    Great comments. One inaccuracy, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Olson
    4. The T650 manual needs to say explicitly that your ISP will not process outbound POP mail through his server if it originates from a T650 (or any other computer not on his network.) Sprint offers outbound POP mail service through its own mail server, but many of the tech support people don't know this. A couple of the tech support folks suggested that T650 supports only webmail, which isn't true. And would greatly compromise its usefulness if it were true.
    Not necessarily true. Some ISPs and many internet email services (dotmac and gmail are two examples) will process outgoing SMTP mail (POP3 is for incoming mail) if you use authentication. You should check with your specific email host to find out if they support POP/SMTP remote mail access.
    jim - hope to be in your position soon: with a first palm device.

any regrets from your side? no way back?
    i really like the business connect service that sprint gives you

run the app on your desktop - all email stays on the desktop

you reply and it looks just like you were responding from your desk

you also have access to MyDocs, Contacts, and Calendar

when you get email, you get a buzz/alarm

pretty slick
    Jim
    No need to quit applications as on a PC. Simply start the next. One exception is the Real Player or Pocket tunes will continue to run while you run another app.

For fonts on Blazer, select Menu/Options/Font and pick Large or Small
    FastFrank