Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know when blackberry connect for palm will be available?
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by larry91403
    Anyone know when blackberry connect for palm will be available?
    Nobody knows? Not even Shadowmite?
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I am under the impression that PalmSource would be releasing it later this year. End-users would be able to purchase it as a stand alone applications. Hardware OEMs, like palmOne, would be able to purchase it as on add-on to the base version of Palm OS for inclusion in new devices.

Alan G
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG
    I am under the impression that PalmSource would be releasing it later this year. End-users would be able to purchase it as a stand alone applications. Hardware OEMs, like palmOne, would be able to purchase it as on add-on to the base version of Palm OS for inclusion in new devices.

Alan G
    So would this require additional services from Palm or the carrier? What are you guessing since I assume most people don't have their own blackberry servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry91403
    So would this require additional services from Palm or the carrier? What are you guessing since I assume most people don't have their own blackberry servers.
    love the push email from blackberry, and love the treo's UI and functionalities.

i might have to go with the bb for email
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    So would this require additional services from Palm or the carrier?
    I'm not sure how the service will be packaged. That will depend on the carriers. If I had to guess, I say that any usage charges would go against the Treo's data plan. I don't have my own BlackBerry server, but I am investigating the option of buying one for the company I work for.

Alan G
    BB Connect is primarily designed for companies that have already deployed BB and want BB support on non-BB devices. It will only sync email (possibly calendars, but no contacts) and, it is my understanding, the security model will not be as stringent as that of a dedicated BB deployment.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    PalmSource's press release can be found here.

Alan G
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG
    PalmSource's press release can be found here.

Alan G
    Yeah, I had read that before - I was wondering if anyone had any secret squirrel information
    Note the date on the PRPRPR. $Here$ $is$ $the$ release for Nokia and here is the one for Motorola. See a pattern here?
    If you want push email on the Treo, you really need to check out ChatterMail at www.imchatter.com.
    I'm tired of people saying Chatter is a replacement for Blackberry. Most employees in Blackberry companies do not have IMAP as an option. That is why Blackberry Connect is so vital.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I'm tired of people saying Chatter is a replacement for Blackberry. Most employees in Blackberry companies do not have IMAP as an option. That is why Blackberry Connect is so vital.
    That's true for companies who have already invested in BES. But a lot of companies haven't invested in BES. For employees in those companies, ChatterMail is a viable option. GoodLink might be as well. Those options are available now. No telling when BBC will be available.
  14.    #14  
    You know...I was thinking if Sprint stopped limiting the size of SMS messages this wouldn't be an issue anymore. Am I missing something?
    For e-mail, calendar Outlook capabilities Sproqit.com is the way to go. Plus it give you access to your desktop via PDA w/o syncing. And it is a helluva lot more secure and flexible than Blackberry.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Meri
    For e-mail, calendar Outlook capabilities Sproqit.com is the way to go. Plus it give you access to your desktop via PDA w/o syncing. And it is a helluva lot more secure and flexible than Blackberry.
    When I try to "try" sproqit I get some error from their server...

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Absolute path information is required.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Absolute path information is required.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Absolute path information is required.]
    System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.AddExpressions(String[] str, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath) +630
    System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList) +401
    System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency.Init(Boolean isPublic, Boolean isSensitive, String[] filenamesArg, String[] cachekeysArg, CacheDependency dependency, DateTime utcStart) +1535
    System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency..ctor(String[] filenames) +59
    Sproqit.ECommerce.Helpers.MenuHelper.get_BluePanels() +253
    Sproqit.ECommerce.Helpers.MenuHelper.GetPanelStatus(String strCurrentPageKey, Boolean& bHideTopPanel, Boolean& bHideLeftPanel) +23
    Sproqit.ECommerce.Objects.BaseForm.SetBluePanels(Control layoutHeader, Control layoutFooter) +39
    Sproqit.ECommerce.Objects.BaseForm.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +194
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750
    Couple of things. Sproquit requires that your desktop be turned on, so it is more of a redirector than a push solution. As for security "The product could worry IT managers, since it effectively turns the PDA into a remote control for a PC at home or on the desktop, and, like other remote control applications such as GoToMyPC, it can be set up by individuals and can tunnel through corporate firewalls. Mansour's answer is that the software can be password-protected on the PDA, which will itself have a password option"
    http://www.techworld.com/mobility/ne...fm?NewsID=2342

"The security worries are real too. Although the link is encrypted, anything that opens a channel to the desktop from a pocket device is a concern. Sproqit suggests using a password on the mobile device. However, I expect many users will fail to do this, or use a weak password, thus ensuring that anyone who steals the device will have access to everything on their PC - or the LAN it is connected to - until the Agent is switched off."
    http://techworld.com/mobility/review...&ProductID=256

GoodLink's end-to-end AES security (same as Blackberry) is the tightest in the space. Another drawback to Sproqit is the data consumption. If you are on an umlimted plan, not a biggie, but if you are on a limited data plan, it can run up very quickly.

No comparison to GoodLink or Blackberry.
    Larry that is odd- did you try sproqit support?

Good Guy- you are kidding. Sproqit removes the server hacker problem which is huge. Sproqit is very secure, more secure then servers. It is at 128 ssl encrypted both ways and does not have a store and forward problem like Good and Rim.
    I read more and more articles about hackers of the others. I have not seen one hacker story about Sproqit.

The fact that users are irresponsible and lazy about passwords does not mean that the technology is at fault.

IT ers can closedown the firewall and they can certainly protect docs from being accessed. There is no PERFECT sysytem but Sproqit is still more secure then the others, plus a lot cheaper and faster.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Meri
    Larry that is odd- did you try sproqit support?
    Yeah and I was able to download the exe to my windoze box. Why isn't there a mac client??? Why is everything all about Outlook???

But I digress...
    Port 443 is opened. It isn't Sproqit that is the hackable entitiy, it is the fact that there is an open port directly to the desktop. This isn't me talking. This is two different reviews and there are more that question the security model of Sproqit. The fact that users are irresponisble and lazy is and IT Manager's daily nightmare. Until they work something out, Sproqit will never be a competitor to GoodLink and Blackberry nor the other enterprise solutions out there. GoodLink only opens an outbound connection to the firewall, so the security is, as I said, the best in the space. Blackberry's security model is the same. Good enough for FIPS certification by the government, which SSL is not.

GoodLink has absolutely no store and forward problems. Good has a technology known as positive acknowledgement that verifies the email was received by the device. Many users report that emails hit their devices before their Outlook inbox and most report within 5-10 seconds of an email hitting their Inbox, it is on their device.

Other concerns I see are offline changes. If your desktop shuts down while Sproqit is offline, the changes from the handheld will not be reflected on the desktop. There are the bandwidth concerns as well. There are several other usabilty issues that lead me to believe that Good and RIM aren't yet concerned with Sproqit. It is a nice start, though, and it will be interesting to see how new versions improve. Right now it looks like a GoToMyPC for handhelds, not a true email solution. Sproqit seems to be a nice solution for individual users who's desktops are on 24/7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast