Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I went to the Cingular site for info on the 650. They are asking for your mobile number (Cingular). Are we out of luck if we want to use it on
    T-Mobile ??
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm VII > Visor > Visor Prism > Visor Phone > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Centro (running T-Mobile) > Almost Broke, but had enough $$ left over to get HD DVR w/DirecTV.
  2. #2  
    No, the device will work on T-Mobile, but it might be tricky buying it from Cingular. They're not an electronics store, they're selling mobile plans. The path of least resistance would be to buy an unbranded phone from palmOne directly, or from a third party like eXpansys. You'll pay more without the carrier subsidy, of course.

    If you can buy a phone from Cingular without a plan, it will also be at a (much) higher price, so if you're not looking to switch to Cingular, there isn't much of an advantage to buying from them except availability (they'll likely have it on-hand sooner than others).
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    No, the device will work on T-Mobile, but it might be tricky buying it from Cingular. They're not an electronics store, they're selling mobile plans. The path of least resistance would be to buy an unbranded phone from palmOne directly, or from a third party like eXpansys. You'll pay more without the carrier subsidy, of course.

    If you can buy a phone from Cingular without a plan, it will also be at a (much) higher price, so if you're not looking to switch to Cingular, there isn't much of an advantage to buying from them except availability (they'll likely have it on-hand sooner than others).
    Wait a minute, so the Treo 650 sold by Cingular will be UNLOCKED?

    This is the first I've heard of this - I've heard only that PalmOne will be selling the unlocked version. In fact I asked this very question in another thread and got this (unfortunately rude) response:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=1689

    I am using a Cingular Treo 600 phone on TMobile's service, and have not run into any problems. The Cingular logo does not bother me.
  4. pmdied's Avatar
    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #4  
    [QUOTE=orinaccio]Wait a minute, so the Treo 650 sold by Cingular will be UNLOCKED?

    This is the first I've heard of this - I've heard only that PalmOne will be selling the unlocked version. In fact I asked this very question in another thread and got this (unfortunately rude) response:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...postcount=1689

    Well, You DID ask a Jersey Driver
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  5. #5  
    The Cingular Treo 650 will be LOCKED to Cingular's SIM (unlike the 600 which was unlocked and subsequently more expensive on Cing than other GSM carriers.). So you can NOT get one from Cingular and use it on T-Mobile.
    You'll have to buy an unlocked one from PalmOne (pay full price which will most likely be $650 vs. the $550 for the Cing locked) or any other 3rd party that sells them. Or wait for them to release one that's locked to T-Mobile (who knows when that will be.)
    Even though I have Cingular I intend to get an unlocked one from P1 since I won't be able to get any of Cing's. discounts. This allows me full flexibilty to use any plan on any GSM provider and it's worth the extra $100 to me when I'm already paying that much.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/24/2005 at 06:59 PM.
  6. #6  
    Is it possible to ask Cing/ATT to unlock it because you will be travelling to Europe or Canada for a couple of weeks for vacation or business?

    Is it also possible to purchase a pre-paid or "pay as you go" from Cing/ATT; (therefore you have an Cing sim chip) and purchase a T650? then unlock it?

    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LD555
    Is it possible to ask Cing/ATT to unlock it because you will be travelling to Europe or Canada for a couple of weeks for vacation or business?

    Is it also possible to purchase a pre-paid or "pay as you go" from Cing/ATT; (therefore you have an Cing sim chip) and purchase a T650? then unlock it?

    From what I hear, Cingular does not give out unlock codes ever. If they do, it's rare and takes a lot of effort. Unlike TMobile which will as long as you've had it for a certain number of months or fufill your initial contract. So I'd be skeptical that they'll unlock it. But since they are selling it to you at an already subsidized price (even when you're paying "full price",) this is what you compromise on. It's too bad they won't sell you the unlock code for $100 at the very least. Their response to you traveling abroad is that you'll be able to roam on those networks under your Cingular plan (in other words, they want you to pay roaming.)

    The only way to get it unlocked is fror Cingular to give you the code, or wait for someone to come out with a hack you can install on your phone (and I don't like the Treo hacks.)

    But never say never, the only real way to know is to ask Cingular, but I'm only telling you what I hear time and again.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    From what I hear, Cingular does not give out unlock codes ever. If they do, it's rare and takes a lot of effort. Unlike TMobile which will as long as you've had it for a certain number of months or fufill your initial contract. So I'd be skeptical that they'll unlock it. But since they are selling it to you at an already subsidized price (even when you're paying "full price",) this is what you compromise on. It's too bad they won't sell you the unlock code for $100 at the very least. Their response to you traveling abroad is that you'll be able to roam on those networks under your Cingular plan (in other words, they want you to pay roaming.)

    The only way to get it unlocked is fror Cingular to give you the code, or wait for someone to come out with a hack you can install on your phone (and I don't like the Treo hacks.)

    But never say never, the only real way to know is to ask Cingular, but I'm only telling you what I hear time and again.
    I spoke with my local Cingular store and they stated the phone would be unlocked. However, I tend to agree that if the P1 site is saying it will be locked for Cingular then it probably will be locked. Unfortunately, this is probably just a case of a sales person not knowing what they are talking about.

    Anyone know when Palm will release the unlocked version?
  9.    #9  
    My 300 and 600 were both Cingular "Unlocked" and they worked fine on T-Mobile. Why do you think that the 650 will be "Locked" to Cingular ??
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm VII > Visor > Visor Prism > Visor Phone > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Centro (running T-Mobile) > Almost Broke, but had enough $$ left over to get HD DVR w/DirecTV.
  10. #10  
    I'm also a T-Mobile user and I've been watching in the shadows for a GSM release. I am hoping to buy the Cingular GSM for its full price and use it on the T-Mobile network. If Cingular unfortunately locks the phones to their network that would be a tough one. I would think Palm One would release a GSM phone soon after because aren't there thousands of Palm Roadshow people waiting for their phone in the mail? It seems like there would be alot of angry palm users if they were told they had to wait another month even though Cingular had released their phone. I would be pissed if I was any of them.

    I don't want to not like Cingular, the Edge network and their Coverage is better in NYC, but after reading about their data plans, I'd rather not.

    And can the Cingular logos be scratched off like they can on the T610
  11. #11  
    What you're all forgetting is that if it is locked, it's ridiculously easy to unlock GSM phones.
  12. #12  
    Is it possible ... to buy a Cingular T650 and if it is locked ... contact the P1 Customer Service to get it replaced due to some kind of Device malfunction (ie. the buzzing on the T600). If P1 sends you a replacement ... Will that replacement be locked?
    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    What you're all forgetting is that if it is locked, it's ridiculously easy to unlock GSM phones.
    Still can not unlock the T-mobile BlackBerry 7100T w/out the T-mobile giving you the code.
    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoman270
    My 300 and 600 were both Cingular "Unlocked" and they worked fine on T-Mobile. Why do you think that the 650 will be "Locked" to Cingular ??
    From the Palmone website:

    Treo 180, 180g, 270, 600: Currently Cingular Wireless does not lock subsidized Treo 180, 180g, 270 or 600 smartphones. You should be able to use subsidized Cingular Treo smartphones with any compatible SIM. However, if that policy changes, please contact Cingular for device unlocking support.

    Treo 650: Cingular Wireless locks all Treo 650 smartphones. Contact Cingular Wireless for device unlocking support.

    Here is the link to the page on the P1 website.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoman270
    My 300 and 600 were both Cingular "Unlocked" and they worked fine on T-Mobile. Why do you think that the 650 will be "Locked" to Cingular ??
    Yes, I'm aware that previous Cingular Treos were locked. But Treo 650 will be locked this time.
    Why the change? So they can sell it at a lower price. If you noticed, the 600 was always more expensive on Cingular because it was unlocked. By having it locked they can sell it at a lower price by subsidizing it. It wll be sold for $550 (without plan) which is on-par with a locked price. So good news that you can get it cheaper, bad news is that you can't get it unlocked from them (which would be nice if you were a new subscriber getting the initial discount.)

    Here is where it specifies on PalmOne's site:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ASE=obj(10941)
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ase=obj(16778)

    In summary, here's where it says:
    Provider Locked? Unlockable? Policy
    Cingular Wireless Treo 180, 180g, 270, 600:
    No

    Treo 650:
    Yes N/A Treo 180, 180g, 270, 600: Currently Cingular Wireless does not lock subsidized Treo 180, 180g, 270 or 600 smartphones. You should be able to use subsidized Cingular Treo smartphones with any compatible SIM. However, if that policy changes, please contact Cingular for device unlocking support.

    Treo 650: Cingular Wireless locks all Treo 650 smartphones. Contact Cingular Wireless for device unlocking support.
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/24/2005 at 10:21 PM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by djfusion
    What you're all forgetting is that if it is locked, it's ridiculously easy to unlock GSM phones.
    The only way to unlock the Treo 600 is to install a hacked version of the firmware into your phone (which I for one am not comfortable donig.) If PalmOne ever issues a firmware update, you have to wait for someone to hack the new version and post it. It's not really unlocked, but the firmware hack does work around it.
    Per the Treo 650, you'll have to wait for someone figure out how to hack the locking, and none of us know how long that will be. So no, it's not rediculously easy to unlock the Treo 650 (yet.)

Posting Permissions