1.    #1  
    I recently switched from using an m125 to a Treo 300 (only about $50 on eBay, wow!). Initially, I just created a new ID in the Palm Desktop 4.1.4, exported files from the m125's ID, imported them to the Treo's ID, and sync'd. After a few tries, I figured out that I had to manually create my categories (ugh!), and then the process worked, so my Treo now has my m125's data in it.

That's the good news. I guess I should have left well enough alone.

But then I read Palm's documentation, and found that they are very adamant that Treo 300 users should not use the latest (4.1.4) Palm Desktop, but should, instead, use a 4.0.1 version which is intended for Treos. So I downloaded that one, and installed it over the top of the existing Palm Desktop on my Windows 2000 computer.

But it doesn't work at all! Trying to start the Palm Desktop results in:

[Palm Desktop: Palm.exe - Application Error [X]]
    The instruction at "0x67cd72b7" referenced memory at "0x00000001". The memory could not be "written".
    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program
    [OK] [Cancel]
    and, on the Treo, hotsyncing results in:

HotSync Problem
    X Unable to initiate HotSync operation due to system error
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop did no good. Now starting the Palm desktop results in:

The instruction at "0x6c3b7f98" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read".
    [OK] [Cancel]
    Worse yet, trying to hotsync results in a Windows 2000 BSOD (Blue Screen of Death):

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (ox00000018, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xBC72EBB1)
    DRIVER_IRQ1_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    *** Address BC72EBB1 base at BC72C000, DateStamp 3d1b6d3c - PalmUSBD.sys
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    So.... obviously, the 4.0.1 Palm Desktop and hotsync manager is a complete piece of junk. So I'm going to have to go back to the 4.1.4 version -- which Palm says not to use with the Treo.

My questions are:

1) What is everyone else using with Treo 270s & 300s?

2) What is wrong with using 4.1.4 with the Treo 300?

3) Is there some way to make the older 4.0.1 Palm Desktop actually work?

Thanks!

-Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys.com
  2.    #2  
    Got past the BSOD. Palm knowledgebase says that the Palm Desktop doesn't
    support multiple CPUs or hyperthreading, and that a workaround is to use
    the Task Manager to set the HOTSYNC.EXE processor affinity to "CPU 0":
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=26344

PROBLEM #1:

Did a hotsync. Got a bunch of warnings. One was:

-- Memo Pad
    - Handheld category 'Business' has been deleted.
    - Handheld category 'Personal' has been deleted.
    - Handheld category 'Church' has been deleted.
    ...etc.

Went to the Treo, and -- sure enough -- all the category info is gone! Everything is now in category "unfiled!" Grrrrr!!! What miserable, buggy software! :-(

PROBLEM #2 (now solved):

Does Palm REALLY expect us to start the task manager, find HOTSYNC.EXE, right-click it, and change the processor affinity just to do a hot-sync?

Well, a web search tells of an obscure tool to poke a byte in the HOTSYNC.EXE executable, to tell the OS the initial processor affinity:
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBH/TIP3500/rh3542.htm

I found a copy if ImageCfg.exe and patched HOTSYNC.EXE, and now it
    always runs with processory affinity "CPU 0," so no more BSOD.

So... WHY, OH WHY, didn't PalmOne ALREADY run this tool, so that
    HOTSYNC will run on dual-CPU and hyperthreading CPUS?? Sheesh!

PROBLEM #3:

Palm Desktop still won't run at all. It still gets "Error: Failed to open Address Book database" followed by:

The instruction at "0x6c3b7f98" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read".
    [OK] [Cancel]
    -Dave
    Dave: I've been using the 4.0.1 Palm Desktop for my 300 with no issues, for couple years now. But I'd really like to upgrade to the 4.1.4 version which palms says is not treo 300 freindly. So, it worked anyway for you?Tell me, what issues did you face using the 4.1.4 version for your 300? If I had to manually handle catagories initially, that wouldnt bother me as long as it was smooth after my initial install and first hot sync.
    eek
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, eek, I didn't use it long enough to notice. That was one of my questions:
    "2) What is wrong with using 4.1.4 with the Treo 300?"

-Dave