1.    #1  
    I just got my visor 2 weeks ago and I would like to know if there is any way I can either index or catalog my notes and journal entries so that I don't have to soend a lot of time searching. If this requires a new software please let me know where I can get it.
    You might want to try FindHack. This allows you to search virtually all Palm App data files. Its search engine is the most flexible of the Find "improvement" utilities. I found it best to partner it with FindIgnore Hack so that I don't go searching through all my ebooks . . .

For more on Hacks, run a search on this message board . . .
    Warning: long post follows!

I've been using a Palm device for some time, and I keep pretty extensive notes on what I do on a day by day basis. I use the Palm "find" function to locate information.

Here's an overview of how I keep this organized.

First, I use the Palm Desktop software all the time, recording all kinds of things (incoming or outgoing phone calls; notes about an email I sent; hours spent on tasks; notes about conversations I might have). Every time I leave my office, I'll hotsync, just in case I've put info into the Palm Desktop that needs to be in my Palm Handheld (which is a Visor Deluxe, in case you were curious). When I get back to my office, I'll hotsync again, just in case I've put info into the Palm Handheld that needs to be in my Palm Desktop software. I make this a habit so I don't need to remember to do the hotsync. That way, I always have my most current information where I'm likely to need it, on the Desktop if I'm in my office, in the Handheld if I'm out of my office.

I have a memopad category I call "A Daybook" (this pops it to the top of my category list in the memopad). When I arrive at work in the morning, I create a new memopad entry, the first line of which contains date information (I use shortcuts for this). For instance:

2000-03-28 Daybook 1

I sort my memolist alphabetically on the Handheld, so using the date in this format makes it easy to find any given date in the memo list. The Desktop software is set to order the entries the same way they're ordered on the Handheld. Some days, I'll fill up more than one memopad "sheet" (remember, only 4000 characters per sheet), so they are sequentially numbered:

2000-03-28 Daybook 1
    2000-03-28 Daybook 2

I accumulate memopad entries in this way until the hotsync time starts to annoy me (I hotsync at home as well as work, so the first hotsync in the office in the morning is a "slow-sync" which tends to take longer than normal (again, because I've hotsynced on another desktop computer at home).

At this point, it becomes time to "archive" my daybook entries. Using the Palm Desktop software, I'll select a month's worth of memopad entries and export them to a text file. I use Windows Notepad to clean up this file. I'll do things like combine multiple Handheld "sheet entries" into a single entry for a day. For instance:

-----------------------------------------
    2000-03-28 Daybook 1

hh:mm what I did, things I need to remember, and so on.
    hh:mm more of the same for another 4000 odd characters...

2000-03-28 Daybook 2

hh:mm more stuff.
    -----------------------------------------

What I'd do in the case above is to strip out the "2000-03-28 Daybook 2" 'header' and make one continuous entry out of it.

So, in my text file, I have a month's worth of junque. Each day in the file has an entry that looks like this:

yyyy-mm-dd Daybook ----------

This is followed by the notes for that day. What I might do at this point is to make some "index" entries for the day if there is something I'm not likely to be able to find using some phrase I might have recorded. For instance, if I record a URL I'd want to visit later, I put "--URL--" in the file at that point. You can see the idea here.

Now, I use the "makedoc" program to create a doc file. This file has a name like:

2000-03 Daybook

This doc file now gets loaded into my Visor. I use Tealdoc at this point to "initialize" the file, creating a series of bookmarks, one for each day in the doc file. (If you need details on how to do this, let me know!)

Once the file is initialized in this way, I'll move the Palm document into the flash memory module for long term archival.

So... what's the point? Using this "system" I have a record of what I've done almost every day since late 1997 (my Visor goes everywhere with me!). This has been good for when people ask, "What did we do about xyz?" or "How many hours did you spend working on abc?" and so on.

Since the doc file in the flash memory module doesn't change, it doesn't get checked at each hotsync as do the numerous memopad entries, so the hotsync time is reduced. There's also some compression taking place, so I have a space (memory) savings as well.

I can use the TealDoc find function to look for information in my archives. I use the TealDoc bookmarks to quickly locate a specific day if I just need to browse the day.

The generalized Palm find function works to find info for the memopad entries I haven't yet archived.

Maybe you can find something in this that will be of use to you.

-- Michael

[This message has been edited by mcgaw (edited 03-29-2000).]
    Useful post, Michael! Thanks for sharing. I particularly like the idea of consolidating notes into DOC files.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks a lot guys. Your posts are very useful. I am trying to work out a system which is similar to Michael's and I am using findhack to assist me in finding entries which have not been catalogued.

Note: SmartDoc will do a "global" search (using it's own internal search function) across all Doc files or you can search just the open doc. Helps in locating info when you're not sure which doc it's in.