View Poll Results: Do you miss hi-res on the Treo 600?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've survived just fine without hi-res/I don't miss hi-res.

37 53.62%
  • I'm upgrading to a hi-res smartphone ASAP/I already upgraded to the Treo 650.

16 23.19%
  • I am using a hi-res PDA AND the Treo 600.

4 5.80%
  • I wish I had kept my hi-res PDA and waited for a hi-res Treo.

7 10.14%
  • Who cares?

5 7.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    For Treo 600 owners who previously used a hi-res handheld:

Do you miss it enough to wish you didn't upgrade to the 600?

Our Verizon contract is up, and DH wants to sign with T-Mobile for the h6315 phone to replace his dying iPaq 3675. T-Mobile only offers the Treo 600, not the 650. After comparing the Sprint 600 & 650, I'm afraid the 600's low-res screen will be a real-downer after 3 hi-res handhelds. (Darn Sony -- spoiled me!) I read eBooks, AvantGo and use Datebk5 heavily. I'm only a moderate cell phone user, so I'm considering getting a Bluetooth phone to iSync contacts, and keep my TG50 until the right smartphone comes out.

Speedy thoughts would be interested, since DH is pushing to sign ASAP b/c of a deal on the h6315.

Thanks,
    Bree
    After loving the Handera and then the Tungsten C's screen, going back to the 600's 160x160 screen really sucked. Especially when factoring in the reduced size - my eyes are hating me.

I gave PalmOne a year to come out with the expected high(er) resolution screen, and those dummies came out with the nearly unusable 650 - with too little memory to make even a lateral move from the 600...

Apparently the sales of the 650 aren't doing as well as PalmOne has been hyping (couldn't have anything to do with shorting out the memory, eh boys?). Guess those marketing geniuses that told them nobody except "power users" will need more than 16MB of RAM may have been nothing more than "yes" men...

If they follow the PalmOne pattern of late, they'll decide the 650 isn't selling because people don't like hi-res, and they'll go back to 160x160 as a "solution" for the next Treo.

In conclusion, the Treo 600's 160x160 beats nothing at all.....

The quiz should have a choice like "Having the 600's capabilities was worth trading off the higher resolution screen, but a very awful choice to make"
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The poll seems misleading. To miss something shouldn't you already have it in the first place?

The T650 has a higher resolution than the T600, but neither is VGA
    I agree with Joad. I'd like a higer resolution screen, bluetooth, etc. but I'm not willing to accept the deficiencies in the 650's memory management as a tradeoff.

The 600 isn't ideal, but it's a better solution for me right now than the 650.
    Treo 600 isn't ALL that bad. Sure it's not great, but really more useful (more applications) than my Blackberry 7100t. Of course, the BB is a KILLER display and I bought it for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the Treo (can you say $50 AR), but we bought my wife the Treo because she's familiar with PalmOS, and it does POP mail a lot easier.

She also is having the "searching network" problem and her phone is no more than 2 months old. She's going to have it replaced and we'll see where to go from there.

If they could come out with a high-res, bluetooth device for T-Mobile, I'd be all over it.
    You missed the polling option "I waited on the Treo 650 due to low res on the T600 (among others things)"

I picked up a used T600 about 3-4wks (for a steal off eBay) before the T650 came out. Never hooked it up to Sprint, then lo-and-behold, the T650 makes its appearance. Rest is history.
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I agree with Joad. I'd like a higer resolution screen, bluetooth, etc. but I'm not willing to accept the deficiencies in the 650's memory management as a tradeoff.

The 600 isn't ideal, but it's a better solution for me right now than the 650.
    That goes triple for me. I had to keep my T/E for when I want a hi-res display. What I want is a T600 with Hi-Res. The rest of the 650's "Upgrades" I can live without.

Robb
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldhege
    That goes triple for me. I had to keep my T/E for when I want a hi-res display. What I want is a T600 with Hi-Res. The rest of the 650's "Upgrades" I can live without.

Robb
    yes - I absolutely agree - which rather begs the question:
    Would a homebrew project be a possibility worth considering?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who read these forums with the necessary technical expertise - I'd imagine these screens could be sourced from faulty 650s on eBay and/or from the OEMs themselves perhaps...

Seems to me that it would be in PalmOne's interest to make their components such as the the motherboards generic, and go for product differentiation by adding different (also generic and cross-compatible) CPU/memory/BlueTooth/whatever...

So... Is it concievable that a 600 will accept a higher-res screen (with some soldering perhaps and almost certainly an OS hack of some sort - but the contacts for it may well already be on the mobo...)

OR...

take a 650 and solder in some more memory? (Sounds rather flippant the way I phrased it there, but I have heard of this being done on other devices - would be expensive to start-up, but there could well be some money to be made by someone with SMD (surface mount) soldering equipment and a cheap supply of the necessary memory chips/new screens?
    Quote Originally Posted by py9drs
    yes - I absolutely agree - which rather begs the question:
    Would a homebrew project be a possibility worth considering?......
    Somebody posted this idea...maybe it has merit?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Somebody posted this idea...maybe it has merit?
    Hmm ... I would think if it had merit there would have been at least ONE reply
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
    Yes I do sometimes but then I just simply return to my desktop and real life...

I think that the treo is fine without super high colour count...it is a pda and for its purpose so why does it need high colours?

Also with a higher reslution of display it'd shorten the battery life by some fraction; I'd rather stick with longer battery life over being able to differentiate among 2^10 different shades of blue on my icons.
    Last edited by parasitic; 01/28/2005 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by parasitic
    Yes I do sometimes but then I just simply return to my desktop and real life...

I think that the treo is fine without super high colour count...it is a pda and for its purpose so why does it need high colours?

Also with a higher reslution of display it'd shorten the battery life by some fraction; I'd rather stick with longer battery life over being able to differentiate among 2^10 different shades of blue on my icons.
    I've had a 16bit color display on my Visor Prism since late 2000 ... but that was only 160x160 ... there is a huge difference in the clarity and readability on my Treo 650 screen compared to that of my Prism (and of the Treo 600 that I had for a brief time).