Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know the ETA for the Treo 650 cradle?
    Regards,

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by rbienstock
    Does anyone know the ETA for the Treo 650 cradle?
    I asked about this when I was at CES and was told end of January ... I also heard there are already 20,000 orders pending with PalmOne.

David
    what benefits does a cradle get you over just the charging cable?
    Charge a backup battery at the same time. No crappy, breakable connector like on the included cable, etc.
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by cmccarter
    Convenience. With the regular cable, you have to hunt around for the end, turn the Treo upside down and find the power socket, carefully plug the two together, realize that you're trying to plug it in upside down because it's 2am and it's dark in the house... It can get annoying having to do this day after day. With the cradle, you just plop it in and you're done.
    Also, the 650 would be in an upright position in the cradle, so user doesn't have to hold it while watching movies at work.
    I will have a nice destop clock.

(http://www.palmarysoft.com/products/treo/clock)
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    On the following website (TreoTiger), they show that the cradle is supposed to ship around February 18th! And, I cannot believe the price -- $99.95!!!!!!! I could have sworn that I had seen a price of $59.95 previously.... Anybody else?

http://www.treotiger.com/treo-650-accessories.htm
    -Brian-
    I would be surprised if that is the going price. I think they are trying to get people to pay a lot and preorder to buy the notion they will get the first one. Similar to all those Treos that they sell before release for $800+. Just people trying to make a quick dime.

TC still has it for cheaper. http://store.treocentral.com/content...ories/6-39.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I would be surprised if that is the going price. I think they are trying to get people to pay a lot and preorder to buy the notion they will get the first one. Similar to all those Treos that they sell before release for $800+. Just people trying to make a quick dime.

TC still has it for cheaper. http://store.treocentral.com/content...ories/6-39.htm
    TC may have it cheaper, but is that because you know what the invoice price is for the cradle is, or is it just a guess? If you know what the invoice price for the cradle is, then you'd know whether $49.95 or $99.95 are gross markups.

And you'd know what the release date is if you know what the invoice price is.....Most likely, PalmOne wouldn't be saying to its resellers "We don't know when we'll release the damn thing, but whenever we do, here's how much we're charging you for it."

So the question is, do you know what the release date is?

But let's be honest, does it really take this long to mold a couple of pieces of plastic together? I mean, this isn't the first time they've built a cradle before. There's not a whole lot of guesswork involved when it's supposedly very similar to the T5 cradle. This is beyond ridiculous.

Has anyone heard why there is a delay in the release of the Treo 650 cradle? Is it a manufacuring issue?

Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    TC may have it cheaper, but is that because you know what the invoice price is for the cradle is, or is it just a guess? If you know what the invoice price for the cradle is, then you'd know whether $49.95 or $99.95 are gross markups.

And you'd know what the release date is if you know what the invoice price is.....Most likely, PalmOne wouldn't be saying to its resellers "We don't know when we'll release the damn thing, but whenever we do, here's how much we're charging you for it."

So the question is, do you know what the release date is?

But let's be honest, does it really take this long to mold a couple of pieces of plastic together? I mean, this isn't the first time they've built a cradle before. There's not a whole lot of guesswork involved when it's supposedly very similar to the T5 cradle. This is beyond ridiculous.

Yes, they do know the price. Palm has given a preliminary pricing and preliminary ship date to the major distributors. HOWEVER, as things often do, the ship date was pushed back for some reason. But they do know the preliminary cost from Palm and have set their price accordingly. The $99.95 price is just an example of price-gouging.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    HOWEVER, as things often do, the ship date was pushed back for some reason.
    Then are we saying that PalmOne is too incompetent to design a working cradle for the 650 in a reasonable amount of time? PalmOne has been down this road before, it's not as if they've never provided a cradle for any of their PDAs. I can't imagine that the cradle for the 650 is vastly different, and requires a complete redesign, test, and build process, from the T5 cradle. We're talking about a piece of plastic with a sync-and-charge connector for the Treo and an additional charge connector for a second battery. And maybe a connector for the headphone jack if we're lucky. This isn't exactly designing the Treo 700.

The thought of PalmOne spending too much time testing a cradle and not enough time testing a $600 flagship smartphone is beyond comprehension.
    The Treo 600 cradles were going on ebay for what $15 bucks? $50 is nuts! It's disgusting for them to charge that kind of price for something that should have been included with a $600 device.

Hopefully they'll drop to around $20 on ebay a couple weeks after they come out..
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    <snip>The thought of PalmOne spending too much time testing a cradle and not enough time testing a $600 flagship smartphone is beyond comprehension.
    The thought is beyond comprehension because you and I don't comprehend every detail that is involved in the design, engineering, parts requisition, manufacturing, delivery, distribution, and final sale of a product. Sometimes things like this happen because the supplier of a particular capacitor ships a faulty batch. Or maybe the workers in the plant in China went home for their yearly month long break.

The point is, you can ***** and moan and act like PalmOne is incompetent all you want. That doesn't change 2 facts....1) You don't know the reason why they have not delivered.....2) They still aren't here.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Give me an f'ing break Gecko. I don't have to work at a fab plant to understand that if takes you this long to roll out a piece of plastic with a company-standard interface that you have issues. Amateur builders who are members here have built do-it-yourself cradles in a week. You actually expect anyone to swallow that PalmOne and their manufacturer can't roll one off an assembly line in the two months since the 650 has been released??? They knew months before the launch what the specs for the 650 would be. The connector IS THE EXACT SAME as the connector for the T5. They don't have an issue rolling those out. All they have to do is add an additional connector for a second battery, change the plastic molding, and they have a cradle for the 650.

Don't give me a song-and-dance about a batch of faulty capacitors (20,000? Right.) or a vacation. I work for a Fortune 500 company, if one of our suppliers dropped the ball because of a month-long vacation, they wouldn't be supplying us any longer. I'm sure that's not how PalmOne does business either. It's inexcusable for a company like PalmOne, who has been building cradles and the far-more-complicated PDAs for 10 years, to be unable to roll out a cradle for it's flagship product in a reasonable amount of time.
    Totally agree. Not having the cradle out yet is unacceptable. There's really no excuse.
    Okay. two things:

1. If there are already 20,000 cradles on order, they certainly aren't coming from consumers....you cant even pre-order them or reserve them yet.

2. As I said about a month ago, what is so hard about producing a F-in cradle (molded piece of plastic) when you already have the pin-outs/connections?

I mean it's not like you have to develop a complete new phone!!!!!

PalmOne just kills me and frustrates the hell out of me. The truth is they could rip my *** off by charging $100 and I would STILL buy it...and I bet a bunch of other people would also.

frustration!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    2. As I said about a month ago, what is so hard about producing a F-in cradle (molded piece of plastic) when you already have the pin-outs/connections?

I mean it's not like you have to develop a complete new phone!!!!!
    There's nothing difficult about it. They've got no problem ripping those off the assembly line for the T5, which is the exact same thing. All we're talking about is a different mold so that the cradle fits the 650. And an additional charger for the second battery.

Not exactly rocket science.

And not exactly like building the Treo 700.
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Convenience. With the regular cable, you have to hunt around for the end, turn the Treo upside down and find the power socket, carefully plug the two together, realize that you're trying to plug it in upside down because it's 2am and it's dark in the house... It can get annoying having to do this day after day. With the cradle, you just plop it in and you're done.
    Are you aware that you can charge the 650 by plugging in just the tiny connector of the charging cord directing into the phone, and eliminating the USB cord with the heavy hotsyncing connector? It is that heavy part that causes the connector to fall out. I am now happy waiting for the cradle (well, not that happy) since I can use the phone charging at my desk without the connector-of-doom falling out.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast