1.    #1  
    My 4th 600 is on the fritz so Sprint has ordered a 650 for me as a replacement. My question is what do I need to do to reload all of my apps? Seems I read somewhere that I should load them manually. But what do I do to keep the 1st HotSych from brining all of the 600's files/apps over to the 650?
    The easiest way is to do one last hot sync with your 600, then install the 650 software and sync again. However with all the issues in compatibility and the memory problem, I would advise against it. I backed up my contacts and some other info and then started from scratch with my 650. I reinstalled all the apps manually and synced for contacts, memos, tasks, etc.

EDIT: Oops, I misread the original post. When you install the 650's software, just set up a new profile name. If it's a different profile, it won't sync with the 600's backup and won't copy anything over.
    Last edited by letsgoflyers81; 01/24/2005 at 02:12 PM.
  3. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I don't think that anyone has asked that question here before. I don't even think that anyone ever upgraded (downgraded) from a 600. You may be the first.

Gee you could try asking PalmOne - although they probably never expected that to happen either.

If that fails, you could STFA...... or go to this link....

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(14403)

sheesh.......
    Cheers

Charles
    Basically, there is no easy way to transition from the 600 to the 650. There are too many incompatibilities with soo many 3rd party apps that it is absolutely NOT advisable to simply hotsync you old profile and apps to the 650. Instead, you should individually reinstall all your necessary app one by one in order to reduce problems.

To transition your PIM info, you can either follow the palmone upgrade guide found in their knowledge base that describes copying old address etc directories etc and them pasting them in the new PD folders (do a search) or you can simply do what I did which is to export your PIM info in the palmdesktop as a CVS file and then import that info onto your new PD. That is the easiest way to do things imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Basically, there is no easy way to transition from the 600 to the 650. There are too many incompatibilities with soo many 3rd party apps that it is absolutely NOT advisable to simply hotsync you old profile and apps to the 650. Instead, you should individually reinstall all your necessary app one by one in order to reduce problems.

To transition your PIM info, you can either follow the palmone upgrade guide found in their knowledge base that describes copying old address etc directories etc and them pasting them in the new PD folders (do a search) or you can simply do what I did which is to export your PIM info in the palmdesktop as a CVS file and then import that info onto your new PD. That is the easiest way to do things imo...
    Sorry, but what's a PD folder? and what's a PD

One PalmOne document I found talks about renaming the "backup" folder within your profile folder to "backupOld" at one point along the transition.

I did find that in the PalmOne knowledge base by searching for "upgrade 650"

Pete
    THERE IS NO MIGRATION !

Save yourself headache.

hotsync your contacts,etc and uninstall all Palm and handspring software.

manually delete all Palm and Handspring folders (this is not done automatically and is critical)

install clean 650 (software, etc)

sync your contacts, etc back.

install only 650 certified apps.

that's it.
    What I did was rename the backup folder, install the Treo 650 as usual and when it synced it installed all my contacts and calendar info. From there I just double-clicked each file in the renamed backup folder and left the ones that were not compatible off. Worked for me and I havent had any problems yet.

Unless you count that blasted AIM software I installed. lol

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    No migration here either- Start from scratch- dump old programs in 1 at a time and backup often. It was a total nightmare to pretend to believe they would transfer easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    Sorry, but what's a PD folder? and what's a PD

One PalmOne document I found talks about renaming the "backup" folder within your profile folder to "backupOld" at one point along the transition.

I did find that in the PalmOne knowledge base by searching for "upgrade 650"

Pete

"Palm Desktop"

Also, here's a link to the PalmOne Treo 650 upgrade guide:

Hanheld Upgrade guide for Treo 650

If the link doesn't work, search for Solution ID: 14403

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    "Palm Desktop"

Also, here's a link to the PalmOne Treo 650 upgrade guide:

Hanheld Upgrade guide for Treo 650

If the link doesn't work, search for Solution ID: 14403

Thanks
    I had a 600 and just got a 650 and before reading any of this I just hotsynced the 650 with the Mac that I was hotsyncing the 600 with and all worked fine application wise. I guess I was lucky. I do have one issue issue though which may or may not be related and that is whenever the device roams in a non Cingular area (it's an AT&T phone) the network is not listed in the upper left hand of the screen like it used to be on the 600. Instead it says either "no service" or "no service-SOS only" but yet all voice and data services work and there is signal strength listed, like it should be, on the upper right of the screen. Did a hard reset and the same issue occured before I resynced. Did I mess up the device when I did that first sync? Cheers.....JR
    Last edited by dogear; 02/16/2005 at 01:11 PM.