1.    #1  
    prior to trying i would like to know if there are any issues with synching the 600 to a desktop and a laptop.

both use windows xp pro and office 2003.

i am using palm on both (with outlook).

thank you for your help.
    I do this right now with my desktop and laptop. As long as you set "handheld overwrites desktop" under your hotsync settings, you should have no problems and your Treo should be in sync with both computers...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    if i do that how would the information on my lap top get to my handheld then in a subsequent sync to my desk top?

sorry if that is a stupid question.

earl.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    If you change data on BOTH your desktop and laptop you will have to manually change hotsync settings with each sync; either handheld overwrites desktop or vice versa depending on the database which is most recent.

Really the best way to avoid syncing issues like duplication is to designate one computer to hotsync normally and the other computer as the "child" which you would sync with the setting handheld overwrites desktop.
    As the others have indicated, check your settings to ensure that you are hot syncing appropriately. In most instances, device overwrites desktop is the one to use. In my situation, I have a wireless home network that hosts three Treos (one per machine) and to avoid multiple syncs, I just copy data back and forth as needed. It's a pain but I have not gotten bitten yet. I also make sure that each desktop is set to have the handheld device overwrite the desktop. Each computer is set up with the same device profiles (in other words, my profile is on the other machines as is that of the rest of the family on my laptop). I use Pilot Install as my default Palm installation program. Just watch those settings. Ben
    Handheld overwrites desktop means that the data on the Treo will be most up to date. That is why it is the advisable setting to use. If you select desktop overwrites handheld, then it will be like restoring your treo every time you hotsync... Also choosing handheld overwrites desktop doesn't mean that any data you enter on the PD will not be added to the Treo. It just means that any updated info will be overwritten from the handheld first. But any new data, like memo entry etc, will be added or synced. I done this many times and it has worked for me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Let's say the phone loses all the information. And then you hot sync the phone to the computer and the mode is set to Handheld overwrites Desktop. Will the computer now contain nothing? Or will the phone get updated correctly?
    i have a laptop to hold on my personal data / appointments, and work has the work schedule and tasks list.. etc etc

how actually should i sync up the data between 2 computers with treo 600?
    If i set the work desktop overwrites treo, what should i set for the laptop at home? or do the "sync" rather then overwrites ?

i guess there has no way to keep the data separate for work and personal data?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hmm... I have a different approach that seems to work for two computers. I use "Synchronize the files" for everything except System which is set to "Handheld overwrites desktop".

I have it set up to synch files on two different computers (work laptop and home desktop); I just make sure I sync as the last activity of the work day before I leave, so that my laptop matches my treo. Then when I get home, I sync again. I have had no issues with lost data (that I have noticed) nor conflicts (where the hotsync log indicates two modified records). Net - I set to "Synchronize the files" and it works fine as long as I make the last activity syncing, before I "move" to the other computer.

BUT - an issue with a specific program - Docs To Go does have a problem with this... The file gets deposited on both PC's with a _1 added to the end of the name, and it keeps happening (doc, then Doc_1, then Doc_1_1 and so on). I finally removed Docs to Go from one of my computers... Does anyone know a way around that?
    Quote Originally Posted by moorthyr
    Hmm... I have a different approach that seems to work for two computers. I use "Synchronize the files" for everything except System which is set to "Handheld overwrites desktop".
    That is how I am doing it as well, and I sync to three different computers. As far as I know there have not been any problems...