Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i have Free and clear america, so i find that having it on automatic will give me service when roaming (wont cost any money due to my plan) rather than getting no service on the Sprint network.
    Yes, but if you are roaming and the Sprint signal is too weak to use, or nonexistent then what? When you pay big money for a phone like you should expect that it would work at least as well as the $29 phones when it comes to roaming and coverage. Of all of the issues out there about this phone, in my opinion, this is the most critical. And it looks like Sprint is botching it but good. I still have Verizon. I'm tempted to now cancel my Sprint contract and switch the phone over to Verizon unless Sprint fixes this problem and fast.
    no doubt, i hear where your coming from. I haven't gotten any problems yet (using VM4500 till later on today, then switching to Treo 650), but then again i don't have the Treo 650 yet either.
    I have two (2) Treo 650s. Both have the poor voice quality problem. I haven't noticed the roaming issues but I'm usually in the Sprint network. My biggest complaint is the voice quality issue. You pay this much for a phone and your customers can't hear you...that's unacceptable. My customers complain that I sound like I'm at a concert on center stage. They can hear all background noise but can barely hear me. Also, they complain that my voice is choppy and ask if I'm in a bad area.

I have been with Sprint since 1995 and have never experienced these problems. I have had (5) different phones with the latest being the Samsung I330...now this Treo 650.

I bought one for my wife also...she is not happy. She just wants to be able to talk with her friends and family and can't with this very high price PDA/ poor phone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Leonard R. Knight, Jr.
    lrknight@dbrsystems.com

http://www.dbrsystems.com
    Experts in Industrial Automation
    and System Integration
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrsystems
    I have two (2) Treo 650s. Both have the poor voice quality problem. I haven't noticed the roaming issues but I'm usually in the Sprint network. My biggest complaint is the voice quality issue. You pay this much for a phone and your customers can't hear you...that's unacceptable. My customers complain that I sound like I'm at a concert on center stage. They can hear all background noise but can barely hear me. Also, they complain that my voice is choppy and ask if I'm in a bad area.

I have been with Sprint since 1995 and have never experienced these problems. I have had (5) different phones with the latest being the Samsung I330...now this Treo 650.

I bought one for my wife also...she is not happy. She just wants to be able to talk with her friends and family and can't with this very high price PDA/ poor phone.

The culprit is believed to be a bug or misconfiguration in the software code used to control the speaker. A beta patch a few people have tried said that it seems to be fixed (or at least a lot better). So, once Sprint releases a patch, probably in their first ROM update for the 650, it should get fixed.
    Hi folks, glad I checked out this forum - just got the 650 last weekend and hadn't realized there was a sound problem. However, now that I read this forum, there have been a few clues. Also, when I record video the sound quality is horrible. Think that's related?

So when this patch comes out, I have to go into a store to get it? It won't be something I can download/install myself?

Off topic, but here's another quick question: Hearing about some of you going through multiple units kind of scares me. Should I get the $5/month insurance deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by SketchAir
    Hi folks, glad I checked out this forum - just got the 650 last weekend and hadn't realized there was a sound problem. However, now that I read this forum, there have been a few clues. Also, when I record video the sound quality is horrible. Think that's related?

So when this patch comes out, I have to go into a store to get it? It won't be something I can download/install myself?

Off topic, but here's another quick question: Hearing about some of you going through multiple units kind of scares me. Should I get the $5/month insurance deal?
    1. Prior ROM updates to the Treo 600 were downloadable files you can install yourself. You shouldn't have to go to a Sprint store to have this done for a 650.
    2. I consider the insurance plan to be a good deal for a $600 pda/phone. However, if your phone is defective, this is usually covered whether or not you have the insurance plan.
    Any issues with the device itself are covered by Sprint under the 12 month warantee.

But the insurance covers damage to the phone.

So, ask yourself, is it worth spending $5/month to cover the possibility that I will drop a $500 phone?
    <a href="http://www.beergeek.com">Beergeek</a> - History: Newton>Pilot Pro>Visor (blue)>Pencil>Toshiba e740>Treo 300>Treo 600>Treo 650>Cingular 8125> <b>Treo 650</b>
    Given the price of the device, I think insurance is a pretty good deal. If you keep the phone for 2-years, you've spent $120 for insurance. That's a lot cheaper then the cost of a replacement even when the price on the 650 starts to drop. Of course, it's wasted money if you never need/use the insurance, but you never know if/when you'll need it. Having insurance is peace-of-mind, only a crystal ball can tell you if you are really going to need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by beergeek
    So, ask yourself, is it worth spending $5/month to cover the possibility that I will drop a $500 phone?
    Well, truth-be-told, I'm naturally a risk-taker, so this is a tough question for me.
    Should I get the $5/month insurance deal?
    I have the insurance on my Treo based largely on the fact that I am running around in airports and in taxis and the like and have both lost and dropkicked my phone in the past.

It is fairly expensive insurance purely on the dollar level, but gives great peace of mind. Without it, I know I would not be enjoying my 650 nearly as much since I would be so paranoid about dropping it or leaving it somewhere. So for me the insurance is well worth it.
    I have my phone covered through state farm... costs about $20/year... personal articles policy, also have my wifes ring and my laptop covered... you get the full purchase or replacement price if you break or lose it. werks fer me.
  13.    #53  

Nothing was said about a fix for the sound problem in the upcoming patch. The only thing I heard from Sprint was that they will take care of the roaming problem...

Of course it would be great if other issues will be fixed as well (bluetooth weakness, dial delay, voice quality), but nothing has been stated about that...
    OK it is february 1st and I don't see any updates. What's up?

Al
    No, no, no, that's Feb 1st in cell phone company time. In regular human being time, check back in June
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    anxiously waiting for the update also...........
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    No, no, no, that's Feb 1st in cell phone company time. In regular human being time, check back in June
    LMAO.

I personally believe Sprint should be giving about a $250 credit to those of us who BELIEVED in this unit and got one with all these bugs.

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    LMAO.

I personally believe Sprint should be giving about a $250 credit to those of us who BELIEVED in this unit and got one with all these bugs.

Bek
    Sprint feels your pain!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrsystems

Take it to your local Sprint store and have the change out the mic. I had poor sound (on other end) and this seemed to fix it. I can not say for sure beacuse 2 days later I had to swap it out for a new 650 due to a reset loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    LMAO.

Bek
    Here Here!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast