1.    #1  
    I'm looking for two programs for my IVD. One I just switched from a FranklinPlanner... is the software out for Franklin to Palm worth the price? Or does anyone have any suggestions for a planning software other than the stock Palm. Also, I really want to track birthdays and anniversaries... Any good free software out there for that?

Thanks,

Rocket
    I use the Franklin for Outlook package (with Outlook 2000), and it is OK. For my review, see: http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000448.html

If you want more, run a search of this board on "Franklin" and you should find a few more threads on this package. In any event, before you spend the money, try Jeff Kirvin's system at URL http://www.jeffkirvin.com/writingony...m/planning.htm

[This message has been edited by yucca (edited 03-29-2000).]
    You don't need separate software to track birthdays and anniversaries. I use Outlook and have just set up a category called Birthday/Anniversary. Then I enter the events as repeating every year. Simple.
    Originally posted by SherylKing:
    You don't need separate software to track birthdays and anniversaries. I use Outlook and have just set up a category called Birthday/Anniversary. Then I enter the events as repeating every year. Simple.
    Here's another way: Outlook 2000 supports a field for Birthday (see the Details tab for each contact) and automatically flags it as a recurring event. Syncs to the Visor perfectly using the supplied conduit. The birthday reminder then shows up in the datebook as a note entry for the specific day. Nice!

Originally posted by LiRM35:
    Here's another way: Outlook 2000 supports a field for Birthday (see the Details tab for each contact) and automatically flags it as a recurring event. Syncs to the Visor perfectly using the supplied conduit. The birthday reminder then shows up in the datebook as a note entry for the specific day. Nice!

PS. I just looked at the original post. The same is true of Anniversaries.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the input. I am setting up Outlook to also sink with Siebal. So its great that I can set it up for anniversaries and birthdays as well.

But, I still don't like the to do list on Palm. It's a bit overwhelming to look at all the to do's at once... any suggestions?
    Do less stuff? Just kidding!
    I use ListMaker-I much prefer it over the to do list on the Visor. I have to do lists for everyday of the week, shopping lists, packing lists, etc. It's a great program.

------------------
    I also use Outlook to keep track of birthdays, however, there is no way to keep track of how old someone is or how many years they have been married, etc. For that I use HappyDays. All you have to do is create a custom field in the Address Book and then enter in the information. Now I have a list of events sorted chronologically along with how old people are going to be. The best thing is that it is a free piece of software.
  10. RJT
    CBTLSL...I completely agree. Until you've used a util that calculates age and anniv dates you don't know what you're missing. To say happy anniv to someone is one thing. To say "Happy Anniversary...It's been 9 years, hasn't it?" is another.

I use reminder. Excellent program. Free. While it doesn't tie into calendar, it does remind you of various events and in very useful and creative ways. Check it out
    Thanks, cbltlsl! I just downloaded HappyDays. I was using Reminder to keep track people's ages & years of marriage etc. but I really like that HappyDays is connected to my Datebook+.

[This message has been edited by Taki (edited 03-30-2000).]
    In Calendar Creator (which I used from Version 1 through Version 7!), it would calculate the birthdays for you. When I discovered the lack of that function in Outlook, I just entered them as "Ryan's Birthday -- born 1972") I still have to do the math, but I don't lose the information!

BTW, thanks for the tip about the details page in Outlook. Somehow, I sort of looked at that once and then never went back to it -- missing a lot of good stuff in the process!
    Originally posted by Rocket:
    One I just switched from a FranklinPlanner... is the software out for Franklin to Palm worth the price? Or does anyone have any suggestions for a planning software other than the stock Palm
    Two points:
    <OL TYPE=1>
    <LI>Try it for yourself. Go to http://www.franklincovey.com/customer/downloads.html , about half way down (dated 09/01/99) is "Franklin Planner Software 7.1 30-Day Trial Version".
    <LI>Cannot find the reference at the moment, however, if one owns a Palm, one can call Franklin Covey and order the "Franklin Planner Software at the upgrade price ($39.95 instead of the full $99.95). This is what I did.
    </OL>
    For those of us that use Palm Desktop and not Outlook, categories for datebook is not an option so I prefer to use a birthdate program.

I use HappyDays. I like the idea of keeping birthdays where they belong - with the contact. HappyDays reads the birdays from your contact list, and creates events in your date book.

I also was using Reminder but I didn't like the fact that it did not interface to date book.

I am using Palm Desktop, too(I hate Outlook) so HappyDays works good for me. The feature I really like is that you can have multiple birthdays, anniversaries etc. for each contact in Addressbook. Too bad it doesn't calculte years & shows only the original birth/anniversary year when repeat is set. But hey, it's a free program...can't complain.
    Originally posted by Taki:
    Too bad it doesn't calculte years & shows only the original birth/anniversary year when repeat is set. But hey, it's a free program...can't complain.
    I don't really know how it could, since when setting a repeating event it just uses the palm datebook repeat feature which by it's nature requires all the events to be identical. But since you only have to run the program once a year to create the events it's no big deal.