Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've read through the forums, and am still interested in "expert" opinions...

I'm about to purchase a 650 and have a POP work acct and use my POP yahoo account.

Can you recommend a email client? I use a bb now and really need "instant" email. I fear versamail is not good enough. What about Snapper?

OR do I fwd my pop accts to fastmail for imap and use chatter? seems complicated and a little long-winded though.

thanks for the help.
    I'm not an expert, but I recommend Snapper Mail highly for your POP account. Also, if I remember correctly, Fastmail only retrieves mail from your POP account every 3 hours. That's not exactly what I would call "instant" email.
    You're not going to instant email with POP ever. Your only chance (using standard protocols) is with IMAP using IDLE, which Chatter supports. Unfortunately, Yahoo does not support IMAP, so you're stuck.
    By the way, I use Chatter with my corporate email for instant email over IMAP.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    You absolutely can't go wrong with Chatter. I use an Exchange Server for work email and so Chatter was the ideal solution. I didn't want to uses a separate client for personal mail, however, so I forward my personal account to a free Fastmail account and use Chatter to retrieve that as well. It works great, and mail arrives instantly through both accounts (not three hours later, BTW). Actually my Treo gets mail before my desktop or laptop... In addition, there is NO better support than from Marc.
    How is agendus mail ?
    Expert opinions.
    If you are setting up a forwarding account to fastmail to use with Chatter, fastmail isn't checking anything -- it is receiving a forward. There is certainly no three hour delay. I use Chatter through an account forwarded through fastmail and love it.
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > HS Visor > HS Prism > iPaq 3650> Jornada 560 > nothing > Treo 650
    Chatter is the best app I've used on my 650 ... use it daily and it works better than any other email app I've used. I will agree ... noone provides better support than Marc.
    How does Chatter deal with attachments and forwarding attachments/viewing, etc.?
    I love chatter and use it with fastmail imap, not forwarding and it is great. I also use it with runbox and both work very well together.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    How does Chatter deal with attachments and forwarding attachments/viewing, etc.?
    Chatter is great with attachments, including docs to go, pics, etc...
    Chatter is as close to a blackberry as you are going to get, but you need to forward your Yahoo mail to fastmail or some other IMAP account.
    Also, support for chatter is unbelievable. The developer could not be more responsive.
    My only caveat with chatter is that it increases your battery drain. I have no problems with this, and can get through an entire day with about 30% battery left. Chatter has a 30 day free trial, so I say, just give it a shot.

Snapper is good but too slow to sync.
    i really like the sprint biz connect

the mail doesn't get saved to the device - it stays on my computer

i just SEE it on my treo

that's all i need

are these other apps the same way - you VIEW your email?
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    i really like the sprint biz connect

the mail doesn't get saved to the device - it stays on my computer

i just SEE it on my treo

that's all i need

are these other apps the same way - you VIEW your email?
    Chatter -its up to you. I get the mail on my Treo and can reply from my treo or I can go into both of my emails and read and repy from there.
    do msgs get saved on the treo?

do they take up memory on the treo?
    Snapper is cleaner and has a better UI, IMO. It supports SD, but does not support true push.

Chatter's developer is second to none in responsiveness. Chatter's push is fantastic, and account/folder setup is slick - has more to do with IMAP. SD storage is coming. The UI is improving from what I've seen.

I set up a Fastmail acct a couple weeks ago, but switched to Fusemail - offers more, and allows "fused" accounts. I integrate my Yahoo account into Fusemail - Fusemail retrieves from my yahoo account automatically at short intervals (saving my Treo from doing it), and directs it into a folder for my Yahoo acct. I "redirect" my work email to my Fusemail acct, so I have real-time on that too. I only "sync" using Chatter two folders on Fusemail, my main inbox and my "Yahoo" acct - so I am essentially getting push on my Yahoo acct too (subject to Fusemail's retrieval interval which I think is less than a few mins)! I can store/move files to any folder on my Fusemail acct through the Treo for access later - does so on the server ~instantly.

Fusemail's free package offers more than Fastmail but is supported with ads in the emails. I think Fastmails $20/yr package offers more storage than Fusemail, but doesn't combine accounts as well as Fusemail does.
    I have nothing but good things to say about snapper. Haven't tried chatter yet, but Snapper is definitively better than VersaMail and BC

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by NXTLwants2quit
    do msgs get saved on the treo?

do they take up memory on the treo?
    of course, if you are "viewing" on your treo, they are on your treo unless you are "viewing" via the web.
    I also highly recommend chatter. probably my most used app and it's actually fun watching the program develop from its early stages. on the flip side, I used to use the older pop-only version of snapper. definitely a nice clean interface and handled attachments well. it works about as instantaneous as push mail when used with treohelper and demands a lot less on the battery since the connection isn't active as often. make sure you have a big sms plan though. can't really go wrong either way but chatter is amazing now that it supports attachments / persistent notification etc.
    -- berto
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    of course, if you are "viewing" on your treo, they are on your treo unless you are "viewing" via the web.

with sprint BC your email isn't stored on the device - its on your PC

you just SEE them on your treo

that's what i like about it

snappermail looks clean - real nice

but - email gets stored on the treo, doesn't it?

just like any email client...
    No, my Snapper setup only COPIES from my server, so when I go home I download all my mail to my computer. That way I receive and delete email at will on my mobile without worrying about what to save or enough space.

I'm running Snapper from A card so it takes up no space on the phone, either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast