Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is pretty funny, palm is aware of the modified ROMs...

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=39478

Solution ID: 39478

Can't install Carkit Update for Treo 650 after installing a third-party ROM

This article applies to the Carkit Update for Treo 650, available on the palmOne website: view the Carkit Update.

What is a third-party ROM? How does it affect the Carkit Update?
    From time to time, palmOne may release ROM updates for some of its devices. A ROM update completely replaces the operating system of your device with a new one, and remains on your device forever, even if you perform a hard reset.

Important: You should install ROM updates ONLY from palmOne (see authorized palmOne updates and upgrades).

If you visit enthusiast forums or search the web, you may discover additional third-party ROM updates available for your Treo smartphone. Do not install these updates. ROM updates from sources other than palmOne may void your warranty and cause your smartphone to behave erratically.

One of the consequences of installing an unauthorized ROM may be malfunction when you attempt to install a palmOne update. For example, palmOne has become aware of third-party ROM updates for the Treo 650 smartphone that cause problems with the palmOne Carkit Update. If you installed a ROM update from any source other than palmOne, and then find yourself unable to install a palmOne update, it's probably because the unauthorized ROM is interfering with the process.

What should I do?
    There is no way to revert to your original factory-installed authorized palmOne ROM after installing an unauthorized ROM from a third party. To restore original ROM functionality, your smartphone must be repaired at a palmOne repair facility (repair info). Because installing an unauthorized ROM may void your warranty, you may be subject to an out-of-warranty repair cost.

The best way to avoid these problems is to never install a ROM update from third parties.

See the list of approved palmOne updates and upgrades

What about third-party patches and updates?
    Unlike ROM updates, third-party software updates and patches do not replace the operating system on your smartphone. Patches and updates may be removed easily, and when you perform a hard reset, these types of updates will not be re-installed on your device until you perform a HotSync operation to restore your data.

We recognize that third-party software and accessories require periodic software updates or patches from the third-party vendor. These items usually will not cause issues when you attempt to install a palmOne update. Installing third-party software patches and updates will not void your warranty unless they are ROM updates.

Having trouble with a third-party update or patch? Contact the third-party developer or vendor for support. You can also try our steps for diagnosing third-party software issues.

bwaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

good find!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    There is no way to revert to your original factory-installed authorized palmOne ROM after installing an unauthorized ROM from a third party. To restore original ROM functionality, your smartphone must be repaired at a palmOne repair facility (repair info). Because installing an unauthorized ROM may void your warranty, you may be subject to an out-of-warranty repair cost.

You gotta love the out right lies. I have replaced the original rom on my phone after installing "thirdparty roms". What a load of crap.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    You gotta love the out right lies. I have replaced the original rom on my phone after installing "thirdparty roms". What a load of crap.
    That's the funniest part of the whole message I understand their position, but that's like saying that ipod batteries are not replaceable by the end user and then charging 99 dollars for a 40 (or less) dollar battery...

Art
    Newton->Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism->Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 755p->Touch Pro->Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    why don't they (palmOne) justfix their os in the firsr place. Thanks to our no name programers for fix what p1 should have fixed our of the box
    If PalmOne is so concerned about "third party ROMS", then maybe they should fix their problems quicker. Or better yet, not release products to the market with soooo many issues.
    They should be thankful people are jumping through all these hoops for their phones. They may be; it isn't inconsistent with the message referenced above.
    I sincerely hope someone from PalmOne reads the following carefully:

</rant on>

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT US INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE RELEASED A SMARTPHONE WITH SO MANY ISSUES THAT POWER USERS HAVE TO RESORT TO RATHER EXTENSIVE HACKING TO GET IT TO WORK IN AN ACCEPTABLE FASHION AND CASUAL USERS HAVE TO HACK IT JUST TO GET DECENT VOICE TRANSMISSION QUALITY.

Frigging ridiculous that I paid $600 for a phone so I could be told continuously that I sound like I'm talking to people from inside a cave. They offer no fix and then get pissed when I find one elsewhere?

In summary, the author of that "support" document can bite me.

</rant off>
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    They should be thankful people are jumping through all these hoops for their phones. They may be; it isn't inconsistent with the message referenced above.
    I would tend to agree. Keep in mind the disclaimer at the bottom of shadowmite's site...

"Palm employees or contractors, some of the material I have posted here is your copyright. I have this on my page to help your business and customers to enjoy your products. If for some reason you want this material removed, just ask via the email link below. I hope you will allow me to continue, but by no means do I want to upset you. Thank you."

Since his site has remained up uninterrupted we can guess they haven't protested.
  10.    #11  
    It’s amazing to me that his site is still up... Its palm intellectual property that he is distributing, and any Palm Competitor who wants to look at the inner workings of the Treo ROM can just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by horsmanp
    It’s amazing to me that his site is still up... Its palm intellectual property that he is distributing, and any Palm Competitor who wants to look at the inner workings of the Treo ROM can just do it.
    What...you honestly believe that Blackberry has been waiting around hoping this day would come? Please...they and every other competitor probably bought two dozen 650s each so they could take them apart and look at every last detail of how the hardware and software were put together. That sort of thing is done with everything from cars to pocket watches. I am quite sure the PDA/smartphone industry is no different.

Secondly, I know personally of at least 5 people (myself included) who kept their 650s ONLY BECAUSE they were able to fix the voice quality issue with the ROM patch. I suspect there are many more users just like us. PalmOne should be thanking Shadowmite for keeping users with PalmOne who might otherwise have returned the damned things and bought a competitor's product.
    very true.
    A company that was really concerned with customer service wouldn't threaten their customers this way. Sure, there is the possibility that such ROM updates could cause problems but, as their own statements indicate, so do regular third party programs (or first party programs, for that matter).

Instead of threatening there might be problems, or an out-of-warranty charge, if you go this route, why not just provide, with every device they sell, a way to return said device to factory settings, including its ROM? ROM updates are by no means rare, and they expect end-users to be able to install them, so why not provide one for the original ROM as a routine customer service?

Stop your threats, PalmOne. We are your customers, remember?
    Amen, Patrick. VersaMail, which PalmOne installs on every Treo 650, has been a source of headaches and soft resets for many users. I don't have any third-party applications that do that, nor has my reflashed ROM or DUN patch caused such a problem.
    I am not defending P1, and I think this board is a important part of Treo's success. But put yourself in P1's shoes, what do you think they can say?

"We do encourage the use of third party roms to solve potential problems, and we strongly urge all users to visit TC and download Shadowmite's custom ROM."

P1 had to say what it said for the 95% mainstream Treo 650 users out there.
    What slimeballs. Someone should remind P1 that the sound quality patch was developed by P1 and has not been altered in any way by end users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I am not defending P1, and I think this board is a important part of Treo's success. But put yourself in P1's shoes, what do you think they can say?
    If they have any integrity, what they SHOULD say should include "we recognize that third party solutions have appeared because of persistent performance issues which PalmOne has not yet addressed". And what they should NOT include is the part about expecting to be paid for an out of warranty fix.

I'm sorry...I honestly do not think that the folks at PalmOne are dishonest, but they certainly seem to be trying hard to give that impression...sell a defective product, don't offer a fix for its defects, but demand to be paid if the consumer runs into a problem while trying to fix the defects himself.
    Rome, you said it...
    the facts are:
    - they haven't (yet) asked Shadowmite to remove the roms.
    - they are saying MAY void your warranty... try hacking and XBOX and getting a "may void your warranty"

Unless they ask Shadowmite to stop NOW, this is a good sign. It means they know what we are doing and they needed to put something up to PROTECT THEMSELVES from what could be a NIGHTMARE if every treo650 user installed these ROMs and then called them when something went awry.

I installed the ROM, and I will uninstall it when P1 releases theirs. Someday I might run a treo with a completely bootlegged ROM... why not. If Shadowmite wanted to get together with DATEBK, SNAPPER, POCKET-TUNES, SHSH (TakePhone) ... Then license the OS from PalmSource and voila... we have TREOs the way they should be.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    I truly respect Treo users for being so loyal to PalmOne, although PalmOne continues to deny the existence of obvious problems. I also respect good hackers, like Shadowmite, who burn the midnight candle creating fixes for PalmOne's "non existing problems."

I liked my Treo 650, despite the bugs because I knew someone could fix them, but do not like PalmOne.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast