Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Darn, what a tangled web.....

First off, someone like Shadowmite answer me this...You got hold of the ROM loader thanks to Mr. faisal's formerly friendly PalmOne engineer, right? All that's in the original native ROM is stuff from PalmOne itself and their selected third party apps, right? Are your custom ROMS doing anything more than allowing us to snip out some of the stuff we don't want, and adding programs we do want? I guess the real question is, is there something fundamentally different about a ROM after you modify it? Is there some big huge firmware stamp that lights up the moment you modify it? As a corallary, I think you have the original ROM posted; if somebody puts that back on, is there any difference at all in the ROM from its, ummmmm, pre-hacked state? Didn't think so.

This is all sorta the same stuff I have been worried about. PalmOne STILL won't officially acknowledge the stuff their OWN engineer fixed with a PalmOne originated ROM patch. (According to Mr. faisal, she got in a sh*tload of trouble for it, too...) Now, they are posturing and saber-rattling about people with the audacity to actually want to fix their phones in the only way possible. Really great customer service. And all the while, their stock just drifts down and down and down......
    GWB, correct, all I did was to pioneer a method to allow people to cut and paste things into and out of the rom image. My roms all are based on Faisal's release to us of the palm employees work. She did a incredible job I might add on fixing the sound issue. It's quite amazing palm hasn't officially commented on it, I'd imagine they don't want to admit anything.

Their are minor difference from the original rom/firmware to this one however. Obviously something in the nutshell installer that it checks for on the original 650 rom does not exist or is different in this new one. I have not found that difference, but I'm not really looking either... We shall see when they release a patch what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    What slimeballs. Someone should remind P1 that the sound quality patch was developed by P1 and has not been altered in any way by end users.
    Agreed!

Questions:
    Why was the sound quality patch necessary??? Quality control?

A pa1mOne engineer or pa1mOne engineers (plural) created the patch so

????

why is sound quality not on the list of known issues at both pa1mOne and Sprint support?

???

Why didn't pa1mOne engineers or QC staff make a call with this phone before releasing it?
    "Can you hear me now?"

For me, the sound quality patch never worked, but pa1mOne is late at best in updating the floored features of this otherwise great device. Now that they have said "something" negative about third party fixes there had better be an update!

Fact:
    I am still told this SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR- $600.00 phone sucks as a "phone" by callers on the other end.

I love this device but can't use it to accept and or make business calls to clients unless I want to pretend to be in the Grand Canyon and unavailable to clients for the day.

Pa1mOne- is this a known issue? NOTE: As of January 21, 2005 this was not a known issue at SPRINT PCS Tier two technical support.

This had better be the last threat of loss of warrantee (with regard to third party fixes of known but denied issues) that is posted by pa1mOne or else I can smell class action...

NO, threats are ignorant and uncessary.

Where is the support?

I have been patient for months and am fine with waiting for an update/ fix as long as a company announces their intention to release the update/fix.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB

First off, someone like Shadowmite answer me this...You got hold of the ROM loader thanks to Mr. faisal's formerly friendly PalmOne engineer, right? All that's in the original native ROM is stuff from PalmOne itself and their selected third party apps, right? Are your custom ROMS doing anything more than allowing us to snip out some of the stuff we don't want, and adding programs we do want? I guess the real question is, is there something fundamentally different about a ROM after you modify it? Is there some big huge firmware stamp that lights up the moment you modify it? As a corallary, I think you have the original ROM posted; if somebody puts that back on, is there any difference at all in the ROM from its, ummmmm, pre-hacked state? Didn't think so.

This is all sorta the same stuff I have been worried about. PalmOne STILL won't officially acknowledge the stuff their OWN engineer fixed with a PalmOne originated ROM patch. (According to Mr. faisal, she got in a sh*tload of trouble for it, too...) Now, they are posturing and saber-rattling about people with the audacity to actually want to fix their phones in the only way possible. Really great customer service. And all the while, their stock just drifts down and down and down......
    Hello:

RE: As a corallary, I think you have the original ROM posted; if somebody puts that back on, is there any difference at all in the ROM from its, ummmmm, pre-hacked state? Didn't think so.

<>

Yes.

Unfortunately there is a difference even when one wants to use the two part process to revert back to the Original ROM.

As an example, I posted on another thread that the WiFi drivers work with virgin T650 handsets but after using a Custom ROM there were problems. That is no big deal but here is the big deal:

After flashing the Original Sound quality and then the running the Original SPRINT ROM .prc file, the WiFi drivers did not work at all even though in your logically thought out corollary, the T650 should be back to unhacked state.

I tested this on several T650's including virgins,650's using custom ROM, and reflashed Sprint PCS Original ROM as indicated above.

(edit :since i almost forgot but posted this on another thread minutes earlier)
    Also, it is a fact that users had a problem using an official pa1mOne BT update with T650's with custom ROMS. That to me, was the only truthful and logical thing posted on that pa1mOne page.

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by Produce Her; 01/24/2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: added BT example
    Yeah, it's a pretty sad state of affairs when I've had a new product for MONTHS and it still doesn't work right. Built in eMail is a nightmare... No fix for the memory issues, random issues with backing up corrupted data bases.... In the meantime, I've had more data loss issues in the last few months than I've had in the last 7 years of using PalmOS products... And to those who say return it... You don't just invest years into a platform and then suddenly change OS's. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I sincerely hope someone from PalmOne reads the following carefully:

</rant on>

IF YOU DIDN'T WANT US INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE RELEASED A SMARTPHONE WITH SO MANY ISSUES THAT POWER USERS HAVE TO RESORT TO RATHER EXTENSIVE HACKING TO GET IT TO WORK IN AN ACCEPTABLE FASHION AND CASUAL USERS HAVE TO HACK IT JUST TO GET DECENT VOICE TRANSMISSION QUALITY.</rant off>
    It sucks that they don't post a way to get your rom back to original, knowing that they supplied the first non-original rom. I'm ok with their policy, but I want a way of going back to original without taking my phone to the sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    It sucks that they don't post a way to get your rom back to original, knowing that they supplied the first non-original rom. I'm ok with their policy, but I want a way of going back to original without taking my phone to the sprint store.
    The didn't officially post the leaked rom update to begin with so why should they also post a copy of the original rom? Anyway, you can easily reinstall the original rom/firmware from shadowmite's site:

http://shadowmite.com/roms.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    They provided the leaked update and were monitoring the forums when people were testing with it. Even if it wasn't official, it was still provided by Palm, so they should provide a method of going back to an official release.

The original rom/firmware from Shadowmite's web-site doesn't restore a Treo 650 to state before any firmware updates. It mostly does, but not 100% which is why the carkit update won't work on it, unless you use a hacked version of the carkit update.
    Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought that there were also people who didn't do the customized ROMs that had problems with the carkit update too.
    The original rom/firmware from Shadowmite's web-site doesn't restore a Treo 650 to state before any firmware updates. It mostly does, but not 100% which is why the carkit update won't work on it, unless you use a hacked version of the carkit update.
    Do you know of any other features or functions that are present in the factory-installed rom/firmware that are not present in the original rom/firmware from shadowmite's website?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I never thought I would see the phrase "Plam is aware" in a serious sentence.
    They provided the leaked update and were monitoring the forums when people were testing with it. Even if it wasn't official, it was still provided by Palm, so they should provide a method of going back to an official release.

What kind of twisted logic is that? First of all, Palmone did NOT leak the update to the community here. They actually just gave it to just one person, Faisal, to beta test. When Faisal graciously shared it with the rest of community, the PalmOne rep was pissed and so were her bosses b/c it was never meant to be leaked officially or unofficially by PalmOne. Why would they support something they never released and that they don't want to encourage and that allows end users to mess with the rom, and that could potentially cause thousands of tech issues, and etc? By using the rom updator tool, you are explicitely breaking the manufacturer's warranty on the phone and thus if you break it...SOL. They are not going to officially support users who break their manufacturer's warranty by messing with the rom. Fortunately for most users, most Sprint reps at stores don't know the difference and so you can just exchange your Treos at a local Sprint store if you fry it. But it is ridiculous to expect palmOne to directly support those messing with rom updator...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The didn't officially post the leaked rom update to begin with so why should they also post a copy of the original rom? Anyway, you can easily reinstall the original rom/firmware from shadowmite's site:

http://shadowmite.com/roms.html

NO.

That is an uncorrect statement.

gfunkmagic, your posts are great. Just a quick note to let you know that this is an incorrect statement.

Please see Shadowmite's posts with respect to this and you can also check mine out from 1/24/04 on the DUN thread.

RE: "Anyway, you can easily reinstall the original rom/firmware from shadowmite's site:"

I also did some testing with respect to the WiFi drivers on new 650's and Custom Rom 650's as well as

"easily reinstalle(d)"

Sprint PCS original rom/firmware from Shadowmite's site as you said.....

Shadowmite asked for my findings. To make a long story short, in my experience the Sprint (2 process- reflashed) ROM is not the same as a new factory fresh virgin 650. I tested new, Custom ROM 650's and reflashed Sprint ROM handsets.

Perhaps this will be supported and not an issue with respect to future official releases.

I am not anti custom ROM, I only only reporting that my findings as well as findingss from others have found that the Custom ROM-to- sound quality (Fais.) ROM-to- Sprint PCS ROM.prc file flashed 650 is not the same as a new 650 from the factory. This is posted on multiple threads on both Shadomite's forum and here. I am open to being corrected so let me know if anyone has found otherwise. I have a feeling this will be supported in future official releases so this will probably not be an issue.

Thanks

Mike
    It really doesn't matter. There will be a way to install PalmOne's rom update when it is released. In the mean time, my phone works! I went the first month without being able to have a decent conversation. I would have returned it but I was too busy using and learning all the pda things it could do. I don't think people that installed Shadow's rom update are going to find themselves with useless devices or have to pay for an out of warranty repair. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Produce Her
    NO.

That is an uncorrect statement.

gfunkmagic, your posts are great. Just a quick note to let you know that this is an incorrect statement.

Please see Shadowmite's posts with respect to this and you can also check mine out from 1/24/04 on the DUN thread.

RE: "Anyway, you can easily reinstall the original rom/firmware from shadowmite's site:"

I also did some testing with respect to the WiFi drivers on new 650's and Custom Rom 650's as well as

"easily reinstalle(d)"

Sprint PCS original rom/firmware from Shadowmite's site as you said.....

Shadowmite asked for my findings. To make a long story short, in my experience the Sprint (2 process- reflashed) ROM is not the same as a new factory fresh virgin 650. I tested new, Custom ROM 650's and reflashed Sprint ROM handsets.

Perhaps this will be supported and not an issue with respect to future official releases.

I am not anti custom ROM, I only only reporting that my findings as well as findingss from others have found that the Custom ROM-to- sound quality (Fais.) ROM-to- Sprint PCS ROM.prc file flashed 650 is not the same as a new 650 from the factory. This is posted on multiple threads on both Shadomite's forum and here. I am open to being corrected so let me know if anyone has found otherwise. I have a feeling this will be supported in future official releases so this will probably not be an issue.

Thanks

Mike

Okay thanks Mike for clarifying. I didn't know there was a difference from the posted Sprint frimware and the original factory rom. However I still wonder if restoring to the Sprint firmware posted on shadowmite's site will prevent users from installing any future rom updates released by palmone....

Well, that statement was like the hammer hitting the nail on the head.

INDEED.

But, you know what, I now have a customized phone with good sound quality without the unnecessary junk added in. Plus, didn't Microsoft get into a heap of trouble for packaging Windows with Internet Explorer and not giving customers an option of removing it. Well, palmOne bundling the Treo 650 with Garnet 5.4 and RealPlayer/Versamail without an option for removal seem pretty similar if you ask me.

In the end, hopefully this will turn out to be a good learning experience for everyone, palmOne and Sprint included.
    So that takes care of the voided warranty issue palm is threatening those of us who modified the original ROM. So P1, who has the final laugh now.....

From shadowmite
    "Thanks to our member bodotcom and some unknown Palm/Sprint employee, we now have a rom updater that will allow anyone with a custom rom to go back to the EXACT original rom loaded on the 650 by Sprint. This is made possible by a three part process:

First off download the file:
    www.shadowmite.com/restore.zip

ONCE MORE, A WARNING THAT ANY ROM FLASH CAN BE DANGEROUS AND YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE WHICH MIGHT OCCUR.

Then the process:

1) PLUG IN YOUR 650 and then run the Romupdater app and simply
    a) Enter without quotes "rev cvt2" and press enter
    b) Enter without quotes "ace" and press enter
    c) When done it should prompt you to hard reset, do so...
    2) When the phone finishes booting back up, go back to the card apps display and run the CDMAParamWriter app.
    3) You should end up back at the same display, run the CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp, and select update again. This will take a good 5-10 minutes...

When done your phone should tell you so, and possibly turn itself off. Simply turn it on and say ok... At that point you are back to square 1 and can run the Wifi drivers as posted (results vary) and the original car kit update from palm...

Enjoy!"
    Treoing & Loving it
    And the tangle continues.............
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    So that takes care of the voided warranty issue palm is threatening those of us who modified the original ROM. So P1, who has the final laugh now.....

From shadowmite
    "Thanks to our member bodotcom and some unknown Palm/Sprint employee, we now have a rom updater that will allow anyone with a custom rom to go back to the EXACT original rom loaded on the 650 by Sprint. This is made possible by a three part process:

First off download the file:
    www.shadowmite.com/restore.zip

ONCE MORE, A WARNING THAT ANY ROM FLASH CAN BE DANGEROUS AND YOU TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE WHICH MIGHT OCCUR.

Then the process:

1) PLUG IN YOUR 650 and then run the Romupdater app and simply
    a) Enter without quotes "rev cvt2" and press enter
    b) Enter without quotes "ace" and press enter
    c) When done it should prompt you to hard reset, do so...
    2) When the phone finishes booting back up, go back to the card apps display and run the CDMAParamWriter app.
    3) You should end up back at the same display, run the CDMAFirmwareUpdaterApp, and select update again. This will take a good 5-10 minutes...

When done your phone should tell you so, and possibly turn itself off. Simply turn it on and say ok... At that point you are back to square 1 and can run the Wifi drivers as posted (results vary) and the original car kit update from palm...

Enjoy!"

Outstanding....
    OMG

I never knew the T650 had so many problems!!

The way people slam the PPC-6601 I thought it was perfect!

Sprint upgraded my T300 to T600 (should arrive on wed. ), I think I'm gonna stick with it for a while till they work out the bugs with the T650 before I spend $600!!
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123