Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I find it funny they didn't mention that the car kit update is at my site for those with hacked roms...
    Dear PalmOne

You mean to tell me you release a product that can not be return to it's original state? Ever? Because of a rom that was not posted on your website? That you left the back door open to your device to the point a 3rd party rom could prevent the device from being brough back to it's original rom?

So let me get this straight.
    T3 from palm has a lot of bells and whistles. Original price $400.

Treo650 - Original price $600
    Email? - if your lucky, should call it re-versamail. Not going in the direction I need the mail to go. Turn around and buy something else. Agendus allows you three retries. Only product that seems to let you do this.

Docs - Documents to go running because it's on a diet

Memory - No thanks, I'm full. reboot

Voice - What do you mean you can't hear me now?

So now I feel like a horses ****. I have spent time wanting this phone. I have it. Now I have to wait for your political company to get it's act together to fix the product and you are going to politicalize (made that up) me with don't fix it son, I will fix it in one year or no soup for you.

BS

Next time I will go (swallow) Pocket pc
    Palm V - Palm T3 - IMATE - TREO 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Secondly, I know personally of at least 5 people (myself included) who kept their 650s ONLY BECAUSE they were able to fix the voice quality issue with the ROM patch. I suspect there are many more users just like us. PalmOne should be thanking Shadowmite for keeping users with PalmOne who might otherwise have returned the damned things and bought a competitor's product.
    Word to that!!
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

•[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]•
    My real question is:

WHERE IS THE OFFICIAL PALMONE ROM UPDATE THAT FIXES ALL THESE PROBLEMS TO BEGIN WITH!!!??!?!

Everyone knows that the sound quality update has been released, everyone knows that the BT crack is released, and etc. I wonder if palmone is holding off the release so it can finalize the NVFS updates as well. In anycase, PalmOne needs to hurry up and release the update. The major problem I forsee though is that the update won' work with 3rd party roms which means most users will have to revert to original roms. Secondly, I bet the next officialy rom update will also "break" the ability of the old rom updator tool to change the Treos rom...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    What slimeballs. Someone should remind P1 that the sound quality patch was developed by P1 and has not been altered in any way by end users.
    Could you fill me in on this patch? Where can I find it? Does it work and has it created any problems? My phone routinely crashes and reboots several times daily when I am messing around with it. I appreciate your help.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    My real question is:
    WHERE IS THE OFFICIAL PALMONE ROM UPDATE THAT FIXES ALL THESE PROBLEMS TO BEGIN WITH!!!??!?!
    What a great question.

I think you're right about them holding onto it until they also get the NVFS issues squared away, so that they only have to do one update. But don't forget that they also got caught with their pants down regarding Bluetooth DUN, so the update will have to address that too.

Either the phone was released without DUN because it was too buggy to be released (their official statement) or because Sprint wanted it disabled so that people would continue to have to buy their Vision PCMCIA cards and data-only plans. If you think about it, neither of these is a particularly good answer. One implies that the company charged full price for a defective product in which a basic function had to be diasbled because it didn't work right. The other implies that the company was complicit in price-gouging. Not great when the only explanations available make you choose between "shady" and "illegal". With the current class-action lawsuit against Motorola, I suspect they know that they had better not release another version of the system unless it also un-cripples this basic feature.

Oh, and if you really want to get pissed off and indignant, call your local Sprint PCS stores and ask the person who answers if the 650 can be used as a Bluetooth modem for your laptop out of the box. I have asked 4 different employees at my local store and have called and asked employees at 3 other central Florida stores. Every single one of them has said "yes".
    I curse P1 every time my 650 resets before a sync finishes (most times). And every time it spontaneously resets, even while turned off. And every time I get a low memory message. And every time I have to wait while 16 files load from my SD card to run one app. And every time I have to move a "conduit app" from my SD card to main memory before I sync - which won't finish anyway - just to take advantage of the conduit. And....

WHY DON'T YOU FIX THESE ISSUES, P1?????????

The longer this goes on, the greater the likelihood I will never buy Palm products again. I don't continue to support companies who treat their customers like dirt. It's also potentially hurting software developers; I've stopped buying Palm apps because of the memory restrictions and SD card stupidity.

I curse you P1. Sony, please come back!
    You can have multi-function devices for a phone. Sometimes they’re a phone first; sometimes they’re a pda first. Right now 650 is neither without third party software and ROMs. I was on a conference call today. I had to put it on speaker phone and put it to my ear. You may think it is because of hardware. No! When the phone resets, the volume of the general is way too loud! Basically too loud on for pda use, too quite for phone use. Don’t get me started on Bluetooth.

P1 - The Imate has frequent ROM updates available online called Club Imate. They have a community section on their website dedicated to discussion and what not. You can log in and get ROM updates and freeware. I only left Imate because there was not support in the US for the device I purchase. Now they have support and a product being sold here in the US.

P1 you already have a great community here. Get off the pot and save the people on this "syncing" ship. Help us! Don't restrain us. Typical users may or may not hack like we do here. If the last thing you want is other people doing your work, then do the work. Don't complain that you are not capable of bringing to market updates in a timely manner.

Some of us live and breathe via the phone. Some of us live and breathe from the pda. I do both. That is why I purchased the phone. I am suffocating. (My phone just did a reset. hahaha ... )

"Help us o-p-1-can’t-phone-me. You can only hope." Princess Playa from a cave on a Treo650

"Help us! Help u! Help us! Help u! Help us! Help u!"
    "I still can't hear you Jerry McGuire. You got to yell that sh... Don't you know I have a Treo650?!?!!!"
    Palm V - Palm T3 - IMATE - TREO 650
    HEAR HEAR!!!

:clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap:
    I think P1's stance is appropriate. On the one hand, they did not ask Shadowmite to shut down his site, which he would if they ask him. On the other hand, ROM's are really not supposed to be user servicable and problems CAN and do happen. If they sanction it, people would be asking for help on the issue and returning units that failed during ROM updates. This would entail a major change in their repair/reconditioning operations.

I would be as unhappy as anyone else if my 650 had sound problems (it doesn't), but I think we should be fair. I believe most other companies would have shut Shadowmite's site down. IMO, P1 is still one of the most open companies when it comes to such issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I think P1's stance is appropriate. On the one hand, they did not ask Shadowmite to shut down his site, which he would if they ask him. On the other hand, ROM's are really not supposed to be user servicable and problems CAN and do happen. If they sanction it, people would be asking for help on the issue and returning units that failed during ROM updates. This would entail a major change in their repair/reconditioning operations.

I would be as unhappy as anyone else if my 650 had sound problems (it doesn't), but I think we should be fair. I believe most other companies would have shut Shadowmite's site down. IMO, P1 is still one of the most open companies when it comes to such issues.
    Agreed. I think their stance is quite expected and accurate to the problem. They want to make sure people understand they shouldn't be held liable for something they have no control over. Furthermore, it sounds like they want to insure they don't have to test their future releases as to if they work with the custom roms. As I guess, the carkit update not working was a unexpected glitch, and it made them worry about users not being able to use their future updates.

That said, I truely believe any update they come out with can be made to run on the custom rom device, and for that matter, once they fix the issues, we can very well go happily back to their standard rom image. Only time will tell.
    E.T. needs to phone home. E.T. phones home and the mothership says they can't understand him, "You sound like your talking out of a cave!". E.T. visit's treocentral and discover's the faisal/shadowmite sound quality patch and takes the Treo650 out of the trash just in time before the garbage truck rolls up to his house. E.T. applies patch and calls mothership and is picked up instantaneously.

WTF P1!

Thank you shadowmite and the whole treocentral.com community.

E.T. was actually considering using a Pocket PC phone but is now happily cruzing on the mothership.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I've been thinking about this since they announced the Treo650 will be available on Wednesday (still keeping fingers crossed). Will the ROM updates work on the GSM version? Do you think they will have Versamail and the other still installed into ROM?
    This may be a very stupid question, but I don't understand the possible differences internally between the CDMA and GSM.
    Thanks
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by darjay
    I've been thinking about this since they announced the Treo650 will be available on Wednesday (still keeping fingers crossed). Will the ROM updates work on the GSM version? Do you think they will have Versamail and the other still installed into ROM?
    This may be a very stupid question, but I don't understand the possible differences internally between the CDMA and GSM.
    Thanks
    The rom updates as they are on my site will NOT work on a GSM device... They'd turn it into a CDMA device which would reset anytime you tried to load the phone app or use certain features. However, if someone pulls all the files off the phone, chances are we can make a rom for it easily enough. The updater tool will work on it, and the image format should be the same...
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply. :-)
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    Which ZLauncher files are added to the ROM to be successful? Does it need to be a patched ZLauncher? My understanding from another thread states that one is supposed to load the HiRes onto the RAM.

Thank you.

And I agree with everyone else above that P1 should either put up or shutup.
    Quote Originally Posted by jandrion
    Which ZLauncher files are added to the ROM to be successful? Does it need to be a patched ZLauncher? My understanding from another thread states that one is supposed to load the HiRes onto the RAM.

Thank you.

And I agree with everyone else above that P1 should either put up or shutup.
    Zlauncher files are not added to the custom ROMs.

What thread did you read this from?
    zlauncher has been successfully added to custom roms.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    zlauncher has been successfully added to custom roms.
    Unless I'm missing something, Zlauncher is not part of shadowmite's custom roms. Did you use the Custom ROM tool to add it to these roms?
    I did
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast