1.    #1  
    This is at eCost for the Lexar SD1GB-231. It's on the "countdown" page and as of now there are 21 left. $73 - $15 rebate = $58

Here's the link: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=493581
    The quantity left on eCost is a sheer marketing gimmick. I had the page open, showed 2 left, then when I came back from eating dinner, refreshed the page and showed 23 left.

eCost has been selling these with rebates for around $50-70 since November. I'll probably go ahead and pick another one up (this will be the 3rd one of these that I've ordered). My DVD SD Camcorder is very hungry for memory (only get about 20min of DVD quality footage on a 1GB card). As I don't expect there to be much price variance in the next 6 months as there was in the last 6 months on solid state memory.

I ran the VFSmark & CardSpeed results on another one of my 1GB Lexar cards ... got great results the 1st time (701 on VFSmark), then re-ran several times in disbelief, and not surprisingly all the subsequent test runs were ~500 ... not sure why/how the 1st one scored so high. I even reformatted the card (like I did before running the initial test) and reran with ~500 on score.

To see a nicely compiled site for SD speed tests on PDA's click here
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
    Went ahead and ordered another one of these cards. Also ordered the Scala 500 BT headset, which eCost had priced for $35

BTW ... for those of you that don't know, you can get an additional 2% off eCost by linking through eBates 1st.
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
    Quote Originally Posted by gekz
    This is at eCost for the Lexar SD1GB-231.
    I like eCost.com, but I want the 1~2GB SD with Wi-Fi. Find me a deal and I'll go for it.
    OfficeMax was selling the same 1GB Lexar cards for $40. I got two for $85 shipped. Just be aware that the base cards (non-32x) are pretty slow. Lexar isn't known for making quality products. I sold both of mine to someone who didn't need them to be fast.
    Even the 32X is just average. I've purchased two 32X 1GB Lexars thinking they would be much faster only to realize 32x is just a marketing gimmick and there is no real advantage. My Sandisk 1GB Regular SD is faster in write speed than Lexar 32x.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    OfficeMax was selling the same 1GB Lexar cards for $40. I got two for $85 shipped. Just be aware that the base cards (non-32x) are pretty slow. Lexar isn't known for making quality products. I sold both of mine to someone who didn't need them to be fast.
    Saying that they are pretty slow is not true at all. They are average performers and get the job done well enough. I don't believe that the extra performance that can be had on the "fast" SD cards is worth the extra 30-50% more $$ that they typically cost. Some people have actually said and tested that the normal Lexar (not the 32x) bench just as good or better than the 32x Hi-Speed Lexar cards.

Furthermore, the Lexar cards are some of the few that I've seen that are Made in the U.S.A. if that matters to anyone.

SD Memory that is slow is Kingston ... avoid them at all cost.
    Saying that Lexar cards are pretty slow IS TRUE. If you can't afford better SD cards, that's your problem. Saying that the base Lexar cards are nearly as fast as the 32x cards is meaningless since the 32x ones are also bad.

Lexar = low-end, if that matters to anyone.
    Saying that Lexar cards are pretty slow IS TRUE. If you can't afford better SD cards, that's your problem. Saying that the base Lexar cards are nearly as fast as the 32x cards is meaningless since the 32x ones are also bad.

Lexar = low-end, if that matters to anyone.
    What are you basing that on? There are other users that have reported that the speeds are not slow.

http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi?

And no one said that I couldn't afford better SD cards ... I have (2) 512MB SimpleTech cards (rebranded Panasonic) that are much better than average for their write speeds. I was saying that for the extra $$, typically the HiSpeed cards aren't worth the extra cash.
    YOU might not feel that higher speed cards are worth the money, but others might feel differently. People just need to understand that all SD cards are not created the same and there is a large performance difference between brands and models.

Panasonic makes good cards so I'm sure that your SimpleTechs work pretty well.
    YOU might not feel that higher speed cards are worth the money, but others might feel differently. People just need to understand that all SD cards are not created the same and there is a large performance difference between brands and models.

Panasonic makes good cards so I'm sure that your SimpleTechs work pretty well.
    I completely agree that there is a large performance difference. And how people use the cards also makes a difference.

I have some Kingston SD cards (people take note ... avoid them at all costs) that I would never use to do any writing with, since they are pathetic at best on write speeds ... but they work fine for reading (playing MP3's, accessing eBooks, watching videos, etc). The Kingston cards won't even allow my SD Camcorder to properly record ... Camcorder can film about 1min of footage, and then it chokes because the write speeds are so lousy.
    I dont' have any experience with the Kingston cards, so that's good to know. I have a Kingmax Platinum that works really well. The 2GB Kingmax should be out very shortly in the US.
    just traded my 1 gig sandisk sd for a high speed 512 gig sandisk sd and the difference is HUGE.

had gotten where i wouldn't even use the camera, for the slowness of the thing.
    now it is zippy, zippy, zippy.

iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    I'm wondering if defragging cards makes any difference on performance. When I was popping on an app to my 512MB SD Card the other day (SimpleTech), just for grins, I did a defrag analyze and it said I should defrag. Unfortunately I didn't run any speed tests before / after to compare.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Avoid KingMax cards too. Very unreliable. Very poor write speeds. "KingMax Platinum 60x 1GB". It will take 34 seconds to write a 500 KB file.
    This thread is a year old, but I'm not so sure the poster who said Kingston is horrible was correct. Also the poster who said Lexar is bad. Maybe these brands got better over the year? I have Kingston Elite Pro, I didn't notice any problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!